Roll Call: KC Area

Can you see the two of them at a 1st Friday in the summer?

3 Likes

jfc, @Randy would have an awakening

Maybe get Club Pro Guy to come put on a clinic of this thing materializes…

We got something here.

1 Like

Here is my hot take on BBQ:

It is really REALLY hard to call any of it not good. There are some dishes that are unique to some places, but if you did a blind taste test of JUST burnt ends or JUST brisket etc. with the same sauce, I bet it all tastes pretty damn similar.

I’m here to fight about BBQ sides and specialty items.

I’ll start by saying KC Joes french fries are some of the best fries ever.

2 Likes

I’ll agree with that, but the fries there are 2nd best side on the menu behind the onion rings. Also, ask for a side of their BBQ mayo at the counter…

Not technically a side, but the wings at Jack Stack will knock your socks off.

Joe’s has the best fries, hands down.

Jack Stack has the best overall sides. You just can’t go wrong with their cheesy corn and baked/smoked beans.

1 Like

Jack Stack does have some incredible sides. I do semi-hate their gift shop/take out shack on the plaza though. It’s just not greasy grimmy old school BBQ which takes my heart. I want it delivered on plastic with recycled napkins and a few wet wipes for the road.

This may trigger some, but the CBGB burger at Char Bar is an absolute must try in my books.

Out of towner here.

Went to Q39 once for dinner and it was one of the best meals i’ve ever had.

Went again another time down for lunch and it wasnt anything special. Whats your say on most consistently good places? I think Gates has the best spicy sauce, and Joes has been really good each time down, but I dont always have 2 hours to wait in line.

If you’re from out of town, the best overall experience has to be Jack Stack at the Freighthouse. Love the atmosphere there.

Every time I get Jack Stack i go through an internal struggle on the sides. Love the rings, cheesy corn, beans and cole slaw. So hard to choose. That’s one of the reasons I usually go with the Mayor, the slaw on the sandwich is a de facto 3rd side!

1 Like

Went there once, but it was probably 20 years ago and i dont have much of a memory about it. Other than it seemed, fancier? than most bbq places.

1 Like

HOT BBQ TAKES HERE.

Agree with @sundaybag on the BBQ probably mostly tasting similar.

Joe’s is a shoo-in for best fries. Hands down. Jack Stack (no relation to me) is a close second in the fry department. But broccoli and cheesy corn from Jack Stack? Just delightful.

@aannddyy00 If you want Joe’s without waiting in line and you’re down by downtown KC next time, go to County Road Ice House. Bar that serves Joe’s in it.

@anon68983737 Freighthouse has the best vibe of all of them. Relatives like going to Jack Stack every time they visit. We usually go there or the Lee’s Summit one.

1 Like

This is going to be the ticket i think. I’ll be down in a month and have been trying to wrack my brain about where to go. Been wanting to try BB’s lawnside.

Have a co-worker who lives in PNL and claims that the Joe’s BBQ sign at County Road Ice House is strictly a marketing plow from the owners of Joe’s and doesn’t actually serve Joe’s quality BBQ. This could be totally wrong. I’ve never been and I’m sure there is some placebo at play here. Just a heads up though!

1 Like

I’ve been. Seems like Joe’s to me.

Go to County Road Ice House and you can order a Z-Man with burnt ends instead of brisket. Life changing experience.

I work downtown and need to take more advantage of it being right there.

This is great news. Don’t want newcomer/travelers trying some knock off Joe’s.

Sports Radio 810 used to run ads for them, explicitly saying it’s Joe’s meats. Have eaten there, it tastes like Joe’s.

Yeah, it’s legit. GF likes salad. She swears by the house salad and then adding burnt ends to it. You can see why she’s a woman after my own heart. Personally, I stick to the meats.

1 Like