Roll Call: KC Area

Thats super disappointing to hear. I can definitely see it though–big company wanting to maximize profits. We are fortunate to have a super dedicated superintendent that I think refuses to let the course go down at all.

https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/next-stop-on-the-last-stand-of-payne-stewart-book-tour-kansas-city/13989?u=almostscratchonce

2 Likes

Need a fourth for this Sunday at Swope, 1:03p! Right now it’s @tnord popping his Swope Memorial cherry, @sundaybag and myself.

Anyone interested?

1 Like

I’m not sure why I haven’t been on The Refuge for a long time. Glad the summary email brought me to this thread. Going to start from the first post over the weekend. Looking forward to hopefully meeting up with you all and getting involved locally!

1 Like

@mikeberlin is a great guy and we are happy to have him!

1 Like

Props to you for playing in the cold, my golf season is likely over for the year as I try to save money and focus on lifting and mobility/yoga (golf bothers my back/knee and makes it tougher to workout).

1 Like

definitely was not cold. at one point during the day all 3 of us had short sleeves on.

I had been hearing about how good swope was from the odd person for a while, so I was very keen to finally check it out. Even just driving in you get the sense that it could be something really good. Looking down the fairways by the clubhouse and the movement in the land gets you excited to go play if you’re anything of a golfer.

In short, I loved it. There’s not a lot in town, public or private, that’s routed better. It’s mostly a 2nd shot course requiring precise irons from uneven lies while accommodating for changes in elevation as well. I want to say it’s 5 that looks like it could be a great hole, but this is where the trees need to go away, and they need to accept that it’s a par 4. The back 9 is a series of dramatic approach shots. 10, 12, 14, 17 are all phenomenal (if a little similar).

Anyway…Swope is great and had me asking myself driving home if it was worth going private.

6 Likes

What did you end up choosing?

We like that.

haven’t 100% decided, but it’s 5:1 odds in favor of Blue Hills. I don’t think it has the best anything, but has pretty good everything, and has the advantage of location over Milburn.

1 Like

Glad you enjoyed it. Agree with your take on 5. There’s just not enough there for a legit par 5 and there are already two 5s on the course that are basically half par holes (9 and 12). If you blow it way right off the tee, you get a pretty good look at the green with a wedge in hand. It’s the long par 4 that the course doesn’t really have.

I think with a little bunker work #6 could be one of the best par 3s in town. With the tree removal that was done behind 14 green in the past year, we have one of the best long views in KC golf (along with the downtown skyline from 17 fairway).

I’ve considered taking a chainsaw out at night and cutting that damn tree in front of the back teebox on 18 that takes a draw out of play.

2 Likes

SO… Are we going to have an event next year? (THE BBQ OPEN) Just throwing it out!

1 Like

Like good BBQ, big events take time and a whole helluva lot of patience.

That being said, we are metaphorically marinating right now.

3 Likes

Fair,
Boulevard Master

It makes too much sense for KC to have an event. Seems like one of the bigger collections of refugees from one city on this site. Even if out-of-towners didnt show up I think just KC refugees + our friends would get us a fairly good sized event.

I think KC should be the Refuge “Major” because you can do a BCN/Swope two-fer.

4 Likes

You make a good point. Trust me when I say that we’re looking to do it big.

2 Likes

You are not wrong… It would be a failure of the committee to not take this into consideration.

2 Likes

Alright I trust the committee

1 Like

The committee thanks you for your trust. The title has been changed accordingly.