Roll Call: KC Area

I’m in! And if too many KCers are out of town/unavailable Tuesday for the golf sim, we could just make it Brookside happy hour.

2 Likes

Sounds like you’ve got more than a few places to visit while you’re back for the BCN commencement.

1 Like

The Brooksider is the worst restaurant/bar in KC. I absolutely love it.

1 Like

Indulge me for a second while a write a petty rant…

Brookside restaurants are pretty awful, with the exception of maybe my favorite one in KC, Bella Napoli. But the others: Brooksider and Jalapenos are not good. You’ve got the chains: Starbucks, Panera and Jimmy John’s. A new-ish one, Brookside Barrio, that has relatively tasteless tacos… which is hard to do! Decent patio and margs, though.

I’ve only eaten at Avenues Bistro for brunch (nothin’ special), and I haven’t eaten at Charlie Hooper’s, Michael Forbes (The Forbes name really invokes the thought of a tasty meal, though!), or Carmen’s.

Red Door is decent. Fin.

My thoughts exactly. Brookside Barrio, well, sucks pretty bad. Patio and happy hour are the only things worth a damn. Went last weekend and split some seafood enchiladas with the lady - they came out freezing cold. Not how I like my seafood.

We have a soft spot for Jalapenos. Absolutely love some nasty ground beef and liquid cheese. They crush it in those categories.

Red Door is fine but expensive for a bar and grill.

We absolutely CRUSH Charlie Hoopers. It checks all the boxes for a bar and grill for us. As well as a bang-up buffalo mac and cheese.

Brooksider has the worlds worst service - especially when no one is there. All their food has to be frozen and just heat up. You must be the most bland person in the world to be hired as a server there. For some weird reason, it is our Sunday scaries spot.

Agree on Avenues though the buffet style brunch in addition to the menu is a nice value add.

Carmen’s is absolutely chronic Italian small plates. Old school vibe. Great pasta.

No clue on Michael Forbes.

KC Poultry Co. is absolutely incredible.

Heirloom cafe is borderline too hipster and paying 8 bucks for a breakfast sandwich sucks but man is it good.

Bella Napoli is great little pizzas. Haven’t had anything else.

2 Likes

A+ info - we’ll have to check out Charlie Hooper’s for more than just night caps.

I should’ve given Avenues a little more credit - the eggs benedicts weren’t fantastic, but they have $12 all you can drink mimosas and that dessert/brunch buffet that was awesome. Overall net positive.

Fine… I guess we’ll try another awesome Italian place in Brookside. But Bella Napoli also has great pasta. The gnocchi special on Thursday nights with the beef ragu sauce has been my favorite meal I’ve eaten. Give that a shot.

We just came across KC Poultry Co! Will definitely go there soon - I miss southern food.

I concur on Heirloom (and McClain’s for that matter). It’s weird, though, McClain’s coffee kinda sucks. Haven’t figured it out, but some of their stuff tastes watered down.

How dare you reply to my rant. Look what we’ve done.

1 Like

Food and golf are right there with one another - my bank statement would confirm.

The Sider was never good for anything except getting in trouble and going to work Friday hungover. But I do miss the basement, $1 draws and MU-KU games. I also miss my 20’s! And I have a soft place for Hooper’s, best hot dogs in town and meet my wife there. And I use to get free food at Jalapeno’s so I can’t complain about that place.

2 Likes

Oh man, am I the only one who hasn’t been to The Brooksider?

You aren’t missing anything but you might be missing everything.

2 Likes

So many weekends at the Brooksider where we spend all day/night saturday watching College Football games, take a few laps around the basement, leave credit card overnight, open the tab back up on Sunday for NFL games.

1 Like

Amen! also the staff was A+ back in the day! And the weekends the Zeros played were amazing!

1 Like

Haha the Zeros! Now we’re getting DEEP in the nostalgia.

1 Like

I think most to all of the assessments are good here.

I think Barrio is actually pretty nice… B-Sider has changed hands so many times over the years. Service is slower than a turtle through quicksand. But it’s still a fun time.

Hooper’s is such a good spot. Highly underrated. Mac ‘n’ cheese is bomb.

1 Like

My Mom liked going to Jalapenos for some reason. My Dad and I are in the Ponak’s Mafia so it was a struggle.

Hooper’s was great although I never really enjoyed it until I came home during college.

All I can remember from Carmen’s is a girl from Mission Hills asked me to her school’s dance and dinner was there beforehand…didn’t remember it…

I was stoked when Barrio opened up! Thought the concept was good and the menu looked really tasty! I dunno - just thought they needed to throw some more cumin in there or something.

It may also be that I have the palette of a former chain smoker.

Ok, but the real question we should be asking is, what is everyone’s favorite bbq place?

Now we all know that will start a fight!

We can be civil! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion…

Unless your favorite is Gates, then I will judge you forever.

This. I will go to the grave saying that Gates is overrated. Don’t get me wrong, it’s still good but will never approach my top 3.