Roll Call: KC Area

6 is way too high a number. It’s probably a max of 3.

2 Likes

I got through regionals with a top 5 in Hesston playing with David Auer who went on the play at KU. Good memories.

1 Like

Wasn’t a bad course for junior golf and high school players, really.

Always enjoyed playing and talking with David Auer. Ran into him randomly in KC a little over a year ago.

Yeah, @ericrbens, definitely right - 3 degrees max. Because to piggyback on @sundaybag and @Christian’s back-and-forth, I remember David Auer coming up because we played at the same club, went to the same high school, and the even weirder part is his dad taught my sister at Heights HS.

1 Like

3 max. Have we not all realized we probably have crossed paths at least once?

3 Likes

Anyone interested in meeting up to play this weekend???

Gimme 15 days.

M’lady’s outta town all weekend. So I’m happy to come out to BCN at some point to lend a hand.

1 Like

I’m busy this Saturday, but am open on the 25th if anyone wants to play that day.

Well looks like KU/UMKC both came up short.

In other local KC news, looks like Rockhurst/KU alum Kevin Ward made it through the Wichita US Open local and is on to Sectionals. I’m assuming it would be Dallas next Monday.

1 Like

Go hawklets.

So that the KC contingent doesn’t hijack this thread, I’ve got one more course for you. Opine away…

Drumm Farm? Another Great Life operation, but it’s pretty wide open, routed through rolling hills, and with great views of the surrounding holes. I played it awhile ago, fartin’ around with a buddy who was in town, so I don’t recall much about the architecture of the holes themselves. But I think it was in pretty good shape.

Hah, funny enough, their website posts walking rates. I don’t understand Great Life.

http://www.drummfarmgolfclub.com/-golf-rates

1 Like

I think now is the time to just hash it out about GreatLife. This is the place to do it. The other thread went downhill quickly. Please post your opinions here. I do not have one, but I am interested in #allthetakes

I’m also curious about GreatLife. It wasn’t a thing when I lived in KC before college, and now it seems to own/manage every non-municipal public course in the city. I’m rarely back in town during golf season, but at least here everyone seems to hate them.

EDIT: Deleted for now. Keeping the long winded, hot takes to myself.

Ah, dang it. I liked it.

I wasnt familiar with GreatLife either, just did a quick check on their site. Regardless of how you feel about their courses, it seems like a good deal, no? I saw one of the packages starts at $55/mo for unlimited use of 15 courses and 6 fitness centers. Even if the courses stink, it’s still golf.

I’ve never played Hillcrest, but am intrigued by it. Would like to get out there soon and check it out.

GreatLifte has ruined what used to be a great Donald Ross course in Topeka, and I haven’t heard anyone in KC say anything nice about them.

I know that making golf affordable is important, but making golf cheap is not helpful, as it puts people off. I don’t know how you can expect to maintain facilities to reasonable playing conditions at the rates that they charge. I guess it’s good for access, but not good for maintaining a facility to any kind of standard.

2 Likes

Ruined is an understatement.

1 Like