Roll Call: KC Area

GUIS…
We’ve not had a lot of percolating interest in the Roost Club Championship. It is scheduled to be played Sunday, July 2 up in Maryville, Missouri at Lake Mozingo Golf Course, chose due to its 2-hour commute from Omaha, KC, and Des Moines.

At this late hour, I am asking the group IF we should have it at all. If not, our Final Foursome will be determined by the Match Play winner, and the next three highest season points winners.

As it stands, those persons in the top 12 positions were to compete – along with anyone else who chose to play – at Mozingo for those last three spots, to represent Grreat Plains Golf Club in Denver July 22, and possibly at Sweetens Cove at the National Roost Championship second week of October.

PLEASE VOTE. Thanks!

Should we go ahead with the Roost Club Championship?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Just a heads up, I need to distribute points for the match play. So the top 4 as of right now aren’t final. I’ll do that now and post here shortly

Edit: Here is the updated leaderboard at the time of this post, top 3 get in plus the match play winner

2 Likes

Does this include all individual matches and unsanctioned events too?

I had missed the unsanctioned events but I edited the post above. Now it should be entirely up to date

2 Likes

I know I have 3 unsanctioned matches to add, but it won’t change a great deal.

If the event goes through I’ll sign up. Don’t have a chance to make the top 4, but look forward to another event!!

1 Like

I’ll quote here from the season announcement:

Annual GPGC Roost Championship
Mozingo Lake Golf Course
Maryville, MO

Two-hour’s drive away from our three hubs of Des Moines, Omaha and Kansas City, Mozingo Lake up in Maryville is a fun, interesting and challenging layout. This event will determine the final three players of our Final Foursome, aka our Regional Team to compete three weeks later in Denver. More details will be shared later, but the winners of each event are automatically qualified to play, as is our Match Play Winner if they so choose, along with our two top points winners from the Nebraska and Iowa states leaderboards, PLUS, the next 6-10 players on our season-long points leaderboard. An automatic playoff will be played on the ‘Watson 9’ short course to help determine our Final Foursome…

We’ve had ZERO participation — as far as I can tell — from our Omaha/Nebraska brethren at the events, save The Match Play. But our two top Iowa players are represented below.

What this also means is that…
@NightTrainLane
@Bagumbo
@Pittsie14
@Punch
@McB
@Dmcpherron
@Sweet_Cupn_Cake
@aborgmann
@kadkinsgolf
@Mmarinko22

…are all within spitting distance of a spot in the Final Foursome. Ergo, your attendance at the Roost Club Championship could be critical.

That said it’s a really fun course, with a shootout on the short course, with every par 4 driveable, and subtle greens that make that playoff/shootout unpredictable.

1 Like

Wish I could. I literally have 0 free weekends until September.

1 Like

[tears rolling down my face] I’ve always wanted to be within spitting distance…

3 Likes

If I were to go see the boys at Golf MD, is it worth the extra cash for Mike himself? Or is everyone there pretty good? Wanting to look at a shaft retro fit for driver. Been hitting the thing like shit and want to blame the club and not my swing…

1 Like

Personally, because I’ve had very hit and miss (pun intended?) results with different fitters (not at Golf MD, just in general), I would spend the couple extra bucks to see Mike. But that’s just me. I know @VinnyG would have a different answer as he thinks they’re all good there - which he probably isn’t wrong.

2 Likes

@QMany has gone to bat for Mike I believe. He could possibly give you a better idea of what to expect?

Mike is great, but Montana is my guy at GolfMD. Mention my name and he’ll take care of you (that’s a joke, he won’t give a shit if you know me or not).

2 Likes

Booked a slot with Montana in a few weeks. I’ll report back!

I also recommend Montana as well. I did a shaft retro-fit with him in 2022 and just completed a full bag refresh in March of this year. He was very knowledge, easy-going, and did a great job explaining what we were looking for and why something was working or not.

1 Like

I saw Mike and someone else there, not sure if it was Montana or not. Both were great.

I didn’t pull the trigger on irons right away because of the sticker shock of getting a whole new bag a few years ago. The other guy helped me tinker with a couple different shafts that I wasn’t originally fit into and was really happy with the result.

1 Like

Is there a thread or sign up list for the club championship since it looks like a go?

3 Likes

Yep,
Sorry for the delay. I’ve had life shit that’s consumed my time outside of work. It’s been a tough spring. So as we hit summer, I’ll have a post up in the next hour or so giving you all the info going forward.

Thanks for your interest and fidelity to @GreatPlainsGC !!!

2 Likes

The Roost Club Championship event post is LIVE over on the GPGC threads…

https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/gpgc-roost-championship-mozingo-lake-golf-course-maryville-mo-sunday-july2-2023/94077?u=scagnetti

Hey everyone, I just moved to Overland Park from Iowa a few weeks ago and I’m trying to figure out what my best options are for golf here. I’m fresh out of college and don’t really know anyone here, so I’m looking for a good way to meet people. With that being said, it seems like it’s pretty tough to get on at most of the courses near Overland Park. What are people’s go-to spots, and are there any leagues or anything similar people would recommend? I should probably note that I’m not a great player by any means but tend to shoot in the 80s-90s. Thanks in advance!

6 Likes