Roll Call: KC Area

along those same lines, if you don’t watch the GPGC section, there’s an event at Swope coming up a week from Sunday, tee times start at 830am.

https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/urgent-first-event-of-2022-2023-gpgc-season-swope-july-17th-833-909am/76718

3 Likes

Recent Reno at Shawnee CC? Anyone know about this? It’s still great life, so I don’t have high hopes that they got anyone who knows dick squat about Ross to participate.

Cc: @Christian

1 Like

If it’s still Great Life, they probably just Billy Bunker stuff. No actual change to the course.

3 Likes

No real renovation. @ericrbens is right, all they did was Billy Bunker and turf replacement around greens. Been trying to stripe in Zoysia for years. Fairways two years ago were literally dirt on four holes. Greatlife has been promoting the bunker replacement as a renovation and “Great” improvement to the course. Oh and don’t forget the “remodeled”
Clubhouse, pool and a fitness facility! That’s their “renovation”. :joy:

A real renovation and the course could be really good. Tree removal, green expansion, etc. Unfortunately that will take a new owner.

2 Likes

I’ve been noticing billy bunkers are getting to be the standard bunkers now it seems like. I mean, they’re better than the typical washed out dirt bunkers overran with grass so in general I’m for it. I can’t help but feel like something is being lost in every courses transition to them. Anyone else have any strong thoughts on Billy Bunkers?

1 Like

Of course. That’s been a topic of conversation in this thread before. A real Ross restorer could make that place magical again. The 4s on the back nine are some of the stoutest in the state. Could be great. If you look back in the thread I think @Christian posted some aerials from the 50s. If I won the lottery I would just hire @sundaybag to restore it.

4 Likes

Most of my thoughts are regarding the cost to convert.
Seems like every year people bitching about the inconsistency of the bunkers leads to conversations about installing billy bunkers. But it’s like $300k and no one wants to pony up.

Could be a shot in the dark but I find myself in KC for the next few days and may have time to get out for a quick loop…one problem, no clubs. If anyone has an extra spot in their group tomorrow or Monday and an extra 3-4 clubs (righty) in the garage I would be happy to buy lunch and join you for a game if schedule works out. DM me if you have some ideas, thanks!

1 Like

Hello friends, I’m planning my brother’s bachelor party in lake of the Ozarks. We’re planning on playing golf one of the days while we’re down there. What would be your recommendation?

1 Like

Plenty of great options! It definitely depends on where you’re staying though because the lake is obviously massive and it takes a long time to drive places. Can you give an idea of the general vicinity you’re looking to stay?

1 Like

Osage Beach

1 Like

The Cove and Osage National are both very accommodating for bachelor parties and in decent shape. The Cove is quirky but fun, and you have a par 3 hitting over a cove of the lake which is kinda cool. Osage National is the better course though - make sure you play the Mountain 9. I’ve also heard Bear Creek Valley is a fun track but never played it.

2 Likes

So my fam has a spot in Osage beach and we are at the lake A LOT so I feel like I need to chime in here:

Kinderhook - very highly rated public course in MO, it’s tough, like really tough - especially the rough - but it’s nice. Very well kept. Will be most expensive public option at the lake. Downside is that it’s in camdenton about 20 min away and it really only has one partial hole on the lake. They do a lot of big events here.

Oaks - part of margaritaville but not really. Quirky and well kept, lots of fun elevation changes, some cool lake holes to to and from the water. It’s on KK in Osage Beach. Honestly my fav course on the lake. Also very close to some good lakeside restaurants

Bear Creek Valley - about 10 min drive and it’s clubhouse shares a strip mall building with a bowling alley - could be fun double dipping. Since it’s a bachelor party there are also other businesses very close. The course itself isn’t anything to right home about but it’s def got some quirk and tons of elevation changes. Will be on cheaper side in this list.

Osage National - kind of at the northern entrance to the lake, have two distinct types of golf, some hilly holes and some flatter links holes. Not on lake at all but does run next to a river. About 15 min away

Lake Valley - across street in camdenton from Kinderhook so about 20 away. Is a nice course but given the distance and it’s simple appeal would be. Lowest on this list. If playing Kinderhook and want more would be a nice second round. Pretty straight forward course, on cheaper side since it’s not on Lake.

Since you’re in Osage beach I wouldn’t worry about any of the courses at the Lodge, they are far away and in my opinion are lesser options and courses are just ok. Cost/Benefit/time ratio isn’t worth it. If you get lucky and get a hookup for the CC Porto Cima there it’s fantastic with three really awesome finishing holes on the water.

5 Likes

Old Kinderhook is by far my lake favorite. Such a great course. Never played Oaks though so thanks for putting it on my list!

1 Like

Yeah my fam essentially stays across road from Oaks and my in-laws have a place on 5 fairway at “The Hook”.

Needless to say I’ve played a lot at the lake.

I like KH, but man it can be BRUTAL if not in the fairway, especially in spring/fall. Plus it has zero lake holes which is a big minus for me, that’s why the Oaks is my go to.

1 Like

Hey Guis and gulls…

A new season of the roosts is upon us and ive sent out a message addressing some upcoming events and hope to rope as many of you into our roost, which is only getting bigger and better – we hope!

This is a link to the General Discussion post I just created recently. If that won’t connect you to the board, you have to formally request access, and therefore officially join the roost…

It’s a good time had by all, truly. So we hope to see you over there!

3 Likes

Random ?

Whats the date of the National Finals @ swope again?

I believe it’s September 24 & 25.

2 Likes

Anyone looking to play, or have an extra spot Friday? (Preferably in the AM before it gets hot as balls)

Thanks so much. Sept is already getting busy and full and didn’t want to miss it.

2 Likes