Roll Call: KC Area

I won’t be the only one to say it but if you’re going that way, I’d go to Wichita and fit in Sand Creek Station while you’re here.

4 Likes

it’s a good 4hr drive from MCI to Hutch. I’m not sure where you play most of your golf, but unfortunately I can’t say there’s anything in KC that you really have to see. There are a number of places we can send you that will leave you satisfied, but nothing that you’re going to tell people about when you get home. If you’re in KC, Swope Memorial is probably the spot to go.

If you fly to Wichita, I support heading to Sand Creek Station. It’s a “template” golf course in the middle of KS, and even for its short existence has some pretty good history.

I’m guessing it’ll cost you a couple hundred bucks more to fly into KC, and I just can’t say it’s worth it unless you’re just looking to visit KC and play some golf on the side.

1 Like

Fly into KC, play some golf and eat some BBQ.

1 Like

They did this for the event last year, so I’d tentatively plan on it happening again. They also had some morning times on the Tuesday last year if that would potentially work better for your travel plans.

1 Like

I’d save KC for a different trip. +1 for Sand Creek Station, which is right around the corner for central KS, or you could try a longshot call with Flint Hills Nat’l…

Play Prairie Dunes as many times as you’re able to, though.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone!

Wanted to put this out there… if yer not a member of the Roost, I think you can still play a part if interested…

https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/gpgc-ks-ne-ia-mo-general-discussion/64558/594?u=scagnetti

It states, in part:

“Quick rundown for ‘local/regional’ NLU events:
12 June – Fred
24 June — BCN S&G
30 July – Omaha Regionals
12-13 August – Strapped Iowa
24 September – Swope Nationals

Available Weekends for Ideal breaks between events:
9/10 July
27/28 August
8/9 October — SMS Option 1
12/13 November — SMS Option 2

this was simply achieved at looking at the calendar and plotting out 4-6 week intervals between or after these events, not truly ‘suggested’ in any other meaningful way…”

There’s then a poll asking for preferences toward which of the above weekends you would be available, feel free to DM me from this post, and lemme know yer interest in the Show Me Showdown.

ALSO, there is some talk about a home and home type set up if we can generate enough interest, this annual event could be played in KC this year or next, and travel to STL in the intervening years…

Show Me Showdown Thread here:

#GetInvolved

Club Glove Travel bag for sale on Craigslist for $115…

Not mine of course, just a nod for those looking.

Extremely short notice but my wife and I are playing Falcon Lakes at 11:40 this morning if anyone else is off work today and wants to brave the extreme heat warnings.

1 Like

Is it too late for me to call in sick?

1 Like

1 Like

I wish I could, I love a mid-week round. Takes me back to my days working in kitchens and restaurants. Nothing better than a quiet course on a Tuesday.

1 Like

Amen to that.

1 Like

Me and @Spanky_kc had a fun day out at Excelsior Springs today. Fun course, it’d be an awesome venue for an event… if we can ignore TIM the asshole starter/cashier.

2 Likes

Played an irons only round at HOA this morning. Convinced this is the best way to play that course. Hope we’re able to something like that this fall/next spring.

6 Likes

Has anyone else been keeping up with this Shane Ryan story?

This hit my sweet spots: Kansas golf, prodigies, religious sects (cults); however, I actually don’t think any of this is… true. Or, my googling skills are much worse than I’d care to admit. And/or there has been nothing - not even official results - written about this (a possibility, I guess).

I won’t spoil this whole story cause it’s definitely entertaining and recommend reading it, but even things that should be easily checked (like the name of the Oklahoma State Golf Coach) are wrong here.

What is going on!?

3 Likes

It was briefly brought up above about two weeks ago. It’s fiction, but it’s damn good.

Capture

Hah… well, a mystery I’ve been thinking about for the last week has been solved. I guess my googling skills are shit.

1 Like

You reminded me to read Parts Two and Three, though. Thanks!

1 Like

Just in case anyone doesn’t follow the GPGC thread as closely as the KC thread: I’ve started a poll over there to gauge interests in GPGC logo hats.

https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/gpgc-ks-ne-ia-mo-general-discussion/64558/628?u=vinnyg

2 Likes