Roll Call: KC Area

Oh man so either a long dogleg left par 5 followed by a long par 3 or a long ass downhill par 3 into a right angle par 4. Real Sophie’s choice we’ve got here. (For the record I love the place too. Probably the place I know by heart the best).

The course today was in about as good of shape as I can say I’ve ever played it in. A solid renovation there could really take it over the top. I wouldn’t say anything profound about it that hasn’t probably been mentioned in this thread at least a few times. Still a fun course to play, but it’s hard to play it without saying the word “potential” 500 times.

Playing there with @aborgmann kicks the shit out of working anyways. Fun Round!

6 Likes

Echo all of Vince’s sentiments. While the my game failed to get out of the truck today a fun time was had and hopefully made up for it with stories and bribing with beer at the end.

It was never going to be a competition today but I made sure of that easily by the turn.

Come play with me gang and win! I’ll buy drinks and crack jokes!

7 Likes

You are so right, hahah! Also 9 being the new finishing hole would be a nightmare. I hate that hole so much.

1 Like

My god I didn’t even think about that. I’m going to forget this conversation even happened for my own health.

1 Like

I have historically not liked nine either but yesterday tee boxes were in a different place than I’ve ever played them. Down and to the left @VinnyG and I both commented that it added a different element to the hole. A soft dogleg leg if you will. Either hit a drawing driver or an easier 3w. I obviously did niether but that was an interesting new wrinkle.

3 Likes

Now that is interesting, it might give you a better chance to hold that nightmare fairway.

2 Likes

Right! I totally forgot about that. That new spot was great in my mind.

Wasn’t great for my Fade-Only driver but the tee shot felt a hell of a lot more comfortable from over there.

2 Likes

Our member guest is next week and my buddy bailed on me. I am looking for a game next Friday, preferably sometime between 9 and 11 if possible.

1 Like

They used to play that box all the time! It lets you work against the slope of the fairway instead of hitting and praying it doesn’t rolling into the rough or wild grass. Lost so many balls on that hole.

3 Likes

I was back in town last weekend for a charity golf tournament. Man, I am jealous you guys have Josh Nahm nearby; he has to be one of the best instructors within 150 miles or more.

3 Likes

Hey everyone, new here, looking for the Kansas City Roost group. Appreciate anyone that can point me to the right place!

1 Like

Here you go and welcome! https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/gpgc-ks-ne-ia-mo-general-discussion/64558

Appreciate the help, but that link takes me to a page that says it’s private

Having had to play a recovery shot from the native, down the hill by the dog park, over that first tree … man if they switched nines I’m all for it. Even if that 9th hole gives me nightmares.

1 Like

Got you covered. The link should work now and I added you to the GPGC group. Welcome!

Where do you live? Where do you play your golf? How’d you find us?

1 Like

Thanks @tnord! Just moved to OP after being in KC proper for about a year. Play most of my golf when I’m out of town but hoping to change that this summer. I’ve played Hillcrest and Shoal Creek, Swope is next on my list.

Discovered NLU after the Athletic profile last year and have listened off and on since then. Saw the Roost vs. LIV logos in the recent newsletter and figured now was the time to finally check this out

3 Likes

you’ll find many of us are big fans of swope. Keep an eye out in the GPGC general discussion thread and you’ll probably find people looking to fill groups at swope and other courses down in south KC.

there’s an event at Brough Creek National coming up in a couple weeks, and would be a great way to have a little fun and meet everyone.

https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/special-delivery-new-gpgc-event-at-brough-creek/75086/17

Ended up sneaking in Shoal Creek today before heading down to Big Cedar tomorrow. It’s in rough shape. GUR on a bunch of fairways. I’d stay away a while.

3 Likes

Looking at tee times for Friday morning. Anyone available around 10? Looking at Dubs and Hillcrest. Sunflower had nothing, neither does Swope.