Roll Call: KC Area

Newbie to the refuge catching up on the local activity. I actually played the par 3 that day too, I’ll never forget cuz I made my first ever hole in one with the first swing of the day on 1 (golf beginner cousin didn’t give me the reaction I was looking for).

Also, I work for the company that manages HoA, Swope, and a handful of other courses in town. The 3 hole loop is closed to the public and is only open for Junior lessons, i.e. The First Tee. Bigs cups only up there, we call it The Hill and it is the most serene practice facility in the city for me.

3 Likes

You work for Orion? Cool.

I’m not sure if you’re familiar with the whole NLU Roost Program LINK, but we have our own roost based here in KC, Great Plains Golf Club. We’ve had an event out at Sycamore Ridge, which I believe is also under Orion management.

Also, the national championship is hosted here in town at Swope.

We’ve had 2 events so far, one this weekend, and another coming up in a couple weeks at Brough Creek National. It’s also a good way to get to know more local golfers, as people will offer up spots in their group and get together for a little match. Very informal, no commitments. If you’re interested let me know, ask questions, DM me, whatever.

Welcome!

3 Likes

Yes I actually just joined the refuge last night in order to find y’all so I could get some info. Sycamore is a great track, one of the best maintained courses under Orion. Would love to #getinvolved with the local scene here in KC though. I’ve met Mr. Hollywood a few times out at HoA and nearly decapitated him with a bladed wedge upon joining the group.

I’d love to be a Roost member just not sure how it works being that I’m not a Nest member. Some of these links I click send me to private pages I can’t access. I’m sure I’ll get it figured out and hopefully start knocking it around with some of you soon.

Also, would love to act as a liaison with the courses under the Orion umbrella to make events more accommodating to sickos like us, if needed. Thanks for the invite!

4 Likes

You don’t say. Every time I’ve played Hillcrest I’ve seen those holes and I’ve always wondered what it was. This ends a long mystery for me. Are you saying it is never open to the public?

1 Like

Its an awesome space. All short holes with a lot of different places to hit from. Great for young kids. My son did First Tee twice there.

Due to typically inexperienced players playing there, if you go behind the green at Hillcrest along the fence row, can find a LOT of balls. I don’t care to share how I know this… :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/gpgc-ks-ne-ia-mo-general-discussion/64558/555?u=tnord

In case anybody missed it, local kid Andrew Beckler made it through to the US Open yesterday. Nice little interview here with him;

https://twitter.com/lilbecks3/status/1534253017511378946?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1534253017511378946|twgr^|twcon^s1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fpublish.twitter.com%2F%3Fquery%3Dhttps3A2F2Ftwitter.com2Flilbecks32Fstatus2F1534253017511378946widget%3DTweet

I’ve played with him before, and he seemed like a good kid to me. Interesting collegiate background, as he started off on the KState golf team, but that program is determined to run itself into the ground, and he didn’t really have a place with the cats. Transferred to Washburn and eventually became the DII POY. He’s won The Railer out at Sand Creek, and I think made it to the semis/finals of the KS Am a couple years ago.

A friend of mine is also good friends with their family and has caddied for him in a few events before.

just FYI for somebody to watch in a couple weeks.

I added you to the group. The kimono has been opened and all revealed. The deal with being a nest member is that you won’t be eligible for the regional/national championship team, but you’re absolutely welcome to come out to our local events.

We’ll definitely talk about getting future events scheduled under the orion umbrella, but I’ll take that to the DMs.

3 Likes

As far as I know they don’t open it to the public. HoA has a ton of Junior golf stuff going on there pretty much every day so they keep it open for the kids programs. Us employees go up there sometimes to avoid the crowded practice areas. Fun little spot for sure. If you ever play the par 3 you could most likely just walk up there yourself if you’re okay with possibly getting told to leave at some point lol. They don’t guard it necessarily but if you ask to play they’ll tell you it’s not open to the public.

4 Likes

Have definately done this before. Post round on par 3, with a cart even! Didn’t even see another person up there.

1 Like

Anyone interested in a midday round tomorrow?

Swope is booked, but Hillcrest is wide open, could be talked into someplace else. Would be available by 11:30/12

1 Like

I’ve always wanted to try and get up there from behind ‘the rock’ #5 that goes uphill. Wish they had a path from there to sneak back there.

1 Like

I might be down. Could you wait until like 2-3pm? I think I could sneak out of work around then.

Also, down for hillcrest. Haven’t played there in a minute and would like to get back there.

1 Like

Sadly I wont be able to wait until that long in the afternoon. Son has JRPGA at Grand Summit at 6:30 that I have to take him to.

A fantastic program btw…

1 Like

Alright I think you got me a little too excited at the thought of playing golf tomorrow instead of working. If you’re still good with 12pm at Hillcrest, I’m down for that.

1 Like

In town for family vacation and played Swope with my Father-in-law today. Love that place, also played the back nine with Tim who was an absolute menace. Straight as could be off the tee and deadly with the putter.

4 Likes

Scanned the online tee sheet, it’s WIDE open. Not sure we have to worry about making a time. I’ll try to be there around 11:30 or so. Looking forward to it.

1 Like

See you there

Getting back on the message board for the first time in awhile, that is correct on Hallbrook. Also, KC is looking at doing a total reno, not sure when the vote on that one is.

Got an email this morning about them getting new sod deliveries to replace some fairways so it might not be in great shape at the moment - haven’t been out there yet this year.

"We are pleased to announce the Kansas City Parks & Recreation Department approval of additional Capital Funding. It will be spent on sod replacement for specific fairways, focusing on Holes #1 - #4 - #7 - #9.

We appreciate your patience during this process and look forward to restoring our fairways back to quality playing conditions."

I play there about once a year and it’s always sad for me. Was a member for a bit around 2012. Loved it but it’s never been the same since greatlife (shocking I know). Hope it’s good! I hear good things about the new owner.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I love Hillcrest. I haven’t played it this year but I thought it was really good last year. It needs some tree or at least limb removal on multiple holes but it is a fun interesting track. Someone mentioned that they need to flip the nines and I think that would be sick.

3 Likes