Roll Call: KC Area

I got the scoop on their project. Huge assessment and yes it was a thin margin membership vote. Clubhouse expansion to freshen up locker rooms and add a card room/bar + a few course changes that I would think are excellent design wise…

Didn’t feel like $20 of work but who knows

1 Like

did Deer Creek end up closing on 4/1?

and they already have an awesome card room I think!

I think that’s in the mens locker room. They want to make it for both men and women because I suppose there’s some serious lady card players and their locker room isn’t big enough

1 Like

It did. Pretty sad to drive by these days with nobody out there. Not my favorite course but a shame they couldn’t make it work.

Pretty illustrative that with all of the different areas of that clubhouse they can’t find an adequate space to play cards, and they instead chose to spend $20M.

There’s a lot to read into that.

I guess I’m most interested in what changes to the course are included in that?

The clubhouse looks bigger than it is, and 3/4 of the main level is wedding / event ballrooms.

From what I was told, they are looking to move the green sites of 9 and 18 to lengthen the holes. 9 would play down that steep slope to the right and have the creek front the green, and 18 would shift the green back over to the left and lengthen it. There is a lot of open space there to do it once you clear the grove of trees out for both holes. They also should re-number the holes to better route the course by the clubhouse, but that’s a whole different problem.

My gut is they want the course closer to 7100 yards and this would get them most of the way.

1 Like

I’m definitely not in a position to be joining a country club but I would like become a member at a course. Does anyone have any recommendations or advice on that process? I’m moving to north plaza area so I can go just about anywhere. I would like to clearly have an interesting course and a decent practice facility. Anyone have any thoughts on these types of memberships? Are they worth it? Any recs?

1 Like

from what I’ve heard, Tiffany Greens might be the best option if you don’t mind the drive.

2 Likes

Based on course and practice facility alone, I’d vote Ironhorse. However thier clubhouse and food area leaves a little to be desired.

Stone canyon would also be in consideration for me.

(Obligatory wish Hillcrest was better comment inserted here)

3 Likes

Ironhorse has to be every bit as far as TG, and I think they sell out their annual pass allotments to residents. Agree with the sentiment however, as if I wasn’t at BHCC, I’d for sure get an annual pass to Ironhorse.

3 Likes

Again, Hillcrest could be incredible. I hadn’t thought about Ironhorse, I’ll have to look into that.

1 Like

Oh for sure. Living in the city makes it tough to get to any decent public place with a practice facility within 20-30 min.

Makes me wish swope and HOA would partner up some days.

2 Likes

I feel like the city is sitting on a gold mine. They have so much good topography in Swope Park. Build another course (with one of the big name current architects), purchase Hillcrest, and create a true destination. Would be so nice with a Tilly, a Ross, a short nine, a par 3, a practice facility and a C/C or Kings/Collins. It has easy highway access off 71 (49) and 435. Throw some cottages in and profit.

4 Likes

I can confirm that unfortunately the Ironhorse membership sells out before the public has a chance to join. It’s definitely the best deal on the south side of you can somehow get a spot.

1 Like

If you wanna book a round at Fred’s gotta call a week in advance. Just FYI. Come join me Tuesday at 710am, I’ve got a foursome reserved.

hey all, I’m in need of some golf buddies. The guy I played with a bunch last year had to move for work which is a rather tough scene…

Anyone got an extra spot? I typically walk, play mostly at Swope/HOA living the kc30 life but open to play where ever.

4 Likes

Was anyone on hand to see this at Oakwood? Goodness…

3 Likes

Don’t you have to be like a 1 or 2 handicap to play in local qualifying? Did they make an exception for this guy because lost a fantasy football bet? Lots of questions lol

Winds were sustained 25mph that day and I’m sure Oakwood’s rough was just as bad if not worse than the rough at all the other courses the last week. Looks like even par and +1 got through qualifying that day. Pretty sure it’s usually a few under that gets through at Creekmoor when they’ve had it there. Another dude shot 108 it looks like too. Well over half the field shot in the 80s and lord knows what the 8 guys who withdrew shot.

I did not see this firsthand however I was out there on Monday caddying and can confirm it was playing very difficult. The ground was still very wet so no roll + mudballs in every fairway, plus the aforementioned heavy winds. Greens weren’t super fast luckily, but even so the conditions were tough. We played a 3 ball in 4:45 and had no one within a hole of us in either direction the whole round. As @ericrbens said elsewhere, there aren’t a ton of places to lose a ball around Oakwood so watching 112 shots would have been painful. It’s a cute/funny story that has been picked up all over but IMO it’s super disrespectful to his playing partners. Hope this does not become a ‘trend’.

I actually thought the rough was fine, fairly thick but also pretty inconsistent so could get some thinner lies in it for sure.

One of our guys shot -3 on the back which was very impressive. The other guy was -1 thru 10 with only 1 par, finished with 3 pars on the day & barely broke 80. A true psycho scorecard.

He registered as a pro and nuked his am status into the sun. Hope he wasn’t planning on playing in any member-guests or club matchplays anytime soon.

7 Likes