Roll Call: KC Area

Milburn is not just the best club in northern JoCo, I’d go so far as to say it’s the best in all of KC, I’m not sure what their rates are these days however.

KCCC is a different kind of snobby from IHCC, and KCCC I think has some more history (both good and bad tbh) that gives them more reverence for the game itself. IHCC I feel like is just a bunch of bros with too much money, though that’s really not based on anything at all.

I used to be friendly with one of the pros at MHCC (still am, just don’t really talk to him anymore) and he’s a totally normal dude that has good things to say about their membership. When I inquired they were friendly to me and up front about what the deal was.

KCCC has the best golf, but I’m not sure I could handle everything else that goes along with it.

4 Likes

I inquired about Milburn back in 2018 and it had a reasonable initiation fee for how good the club is, but monthly dues including F&B were like ~750/mo. Almost a grand per month for >40 years old. I’m sure now after COVID that’s even higher like most of the clubs around KC.

that’s what it was when I was looking in 2019/2020 also, which is the same as BHCC. From then until now BHCC has gone from $10k to $25k, I’d bet Milburn is the same.

1 Like

Not sure what the new initiation number is, but as of fall 2020, Milburn had a waitlist and required joining as a social member while waiting for golf memberships to become available. They also had a $100/mo assessment to update the pool, but that may be finished at this point.

3 Likes

Trying to join a club right now is insane. The waitlists, initiation fees, hoops you gotta jump through…looks like I’ll be waiting for the next economic downturn. Catch you boys on the munis until then!

5 Likes

There’s nowhere in town I’d join right now either.

Rumors abound that Hallbrook just passed a $20M project that translates to $18k assessment. And it passed with 54% of the vote…yikes. That’ll be volatile.

Glad I went with BH instead of Hallbrook right now…though I see our own project getting queued up and it’s making me nervous.

1 Like

Better than Oakwood? Man, I haven’t been everywhere in town, seen most, but Oakwood doesn’t seem like it has a competitor to me.

1 Like

Never played Oakwood, but for the number I’m hearing thrown around…yeah, I’d still take Milburn since I have it as #2 on my personal KC Golf ranking. Having it be owned/operated by an individual or two also makes me nervous. I’ve seen that burn people before.

2 Likes

i havent played it either, just toured.

Between the course, the range, the clubhouse, the putting course and the short course…yikes!

but, given what they are going to start asking according to rumor it will be a very exclusive place

2 Likes

seems like the owners of Oakwood and Wolf are in a pissing contest at the moment.

3 Likes

Yikes, indeed. Hopefully you don’t see something like that at BH. Does the Tour money make a dent in allowing course improvements to be somewhat paid for? Or does it really only cover the restoration of the course after heavy play and grandstands?

Waiting list has only gotten longer. Around 50 social members on waitlist for golf, and waitlist to be a social member is about 75.

They did cut down a ton of trees last year. Looked a lot different from past times I’ve played there. Indian is nice but I would think the course would get boring like others have said. Especially for the cost.
Greens are sneaky tough. I’ve had good experiences out there. Some cool people and then some where they dress their kids in all monogrammed clothing, which boggles my mind.

1 Like

A waitlist to join a waitlist for golf. Sick! @Randy has gotta love this growth

3 Likes

I think there’s a pretty wide gap between “normal people” like myself at BH, and the contingent to which $20k is of no consequence. I don’t know how many of each group there are however.

I don’t know what I think about the KFT event yet. I don’t think the previous contract was worth it. The new one that I don’t know all the details of, while better, certainly doesn’t cover the costs of course improvements. The life of the contract might cover something over half of the drainage project that’s being considered.

what I really don’t like is them taking over the course for a week, and we’re already affected by it now with bleachers being put up, tees being moved around, lack of use of the range. then we’ll have to deal with it for a week afterwards being torn down, another week for repairs, etc. The turf repairs from last year, while not really in spots that are in play, are still recovering.

3 Likes

These were honestly my fav part of the course. Couple of cool holes on the back, but other than that, pretty vanilla.

I had an excellent experience, but I also wouldn’t want to pay that amount to play that course every time.

That’s a tough pill to swallow there. I hadn’t considered the impact before the event with the tees and range. Then on top of all the other stuff I can see how you’d be on the fence.

I was told that the club initially viewed it as marketing more than a source of revenue, which makes sense when you’re hovering around 350 members. But now that we’re full with a waiting list like everybody else? Kinda loses its appeal.

On the other hand, we do make some money from it, keeping people on a waiting list is good, and it does carve out a bit of an identity for the club. BHCC can be a rowdy place socially, but also has a very deep pool of very good players and hosting a tour event aligns with that demographic. We also host a US Am qualifier every other year, and you can go back to hosting the Watson invitational, Watson Challenge, hiring Dougherty as the pro…and there’s a pretty strong history of high level competition happening at BHCC.

I’m just not sure I think it’s worth it to me personally.

1 Like

Hosting pro events is brutal on your course. It’s why so many place don’t do it, and why there’s almost 10 year gaps between US open sites hosting.

1 Like

especially when it rains 6” during the week.

2 Likes