Roll Call: KC Area

Oh Captain my Captain.

EDIT #83; things are moving quickly. @Christian @tsweat345 @japolo1987 @anon68983737 @Chapo @nerdmachine @Dyson @rwp989 @CG91OD @anon81973724

I can only @ 10 people at a time. Expect to see your name come up eventually if I don’t see you on the list. All we’re looking for is a “definitely maybe” commitment 1 time in 2022 to get things started. KC thread has 3x the post count as the Oklahoma crew and they’ve got 20+ signed up.

Roster Link TRoost Roster - Google Sheets

What is the name of your Roost?
TRoost Union (subject to change, I just now made this up, think of a Union Station silhouette logo)

What is the Refuge Handle of your Captain?
tnord

In what states/provinces will your Roost operate?
Kansas/Missouri

How many members are in your Roost or committed to joining your Roost?
20-39

How many Nest Members are in your Roost?
20-40

How will your Roost communicate?
Refuge Roll Call Thread

What method does your Roost plan on using to determine who represents them at regional tournament?
Season Long Series

Does your Roost plan on having at least 1 meetup in 2022 open to all on the Refuge?
Yes

Would your Roost be interested in accepting Nest Members from other nearby states/provinces?
Yes

Is your Roost interested in using an application for keeping leaderboards, and playing virtual matches (2 people play a match from different locations)?
Yes

Is there anything you else want to share with us about your Roost?
This is an “if you build it, they will come,” approach. There are plenty of nest members from central KS to central MO interested in participating, with the hub being KC. We’re just lacking any sort of structure or leadership to get it off the ground. I envision a season long match play situation, with a hockey type scoring system where points are assigned to wins and ties. Roost participants can schedule matches at their discretion, and the captain will secure a tee time(s) once/month where multiple matches can be played. Limitations placed on matches between the same members to encourage interaction, and total points accumulated crowning a champion to encourage participation. I don’t know that I’m the best captain (anybody nominating themselves should be questioned), but somebody has to get it started. I also envision having a “vice captain” or two to help me out when family schedule and other golf commitments get busy.

4 Likes

@Jrembold - you going to let KC take Columbia like that? Especially after STL won the Show-Me Showdown because KC didn’t want that smoke?

4 Likes

I envision a season long match play situation, with a hockey type scoring system where points are assigned to wins and ties. Roost participants can schedule matches at their discretion, and the captain will secure a tee time(s) once/month where multiple matches can be played.

This is a really good idea. Assuming I understand what you mean, a member would be assigned a match with another member every month, two week, three weeks, whatever… Then those two members can play each other at the monthly schedule tee time or, if that time doesn’t work for them, they can schedule the match between themselves before they are assigned another match. This kind of setup should give anyone who’s worried that they can’t commit to strict dates the confidence they need that they can participate in the (T)roost.

3 Likes

that could work. Depends on the geographic spread we end up with. I was more thinking along the lines of any two random people can schedule a match at any time, any place they want. I wouldn’t want to end up in a situation where somebody from Topeka has to figure out a time to play with somebody from Omaha before they could have a match against somebody in Lawrence.

If you want to get mega-involved you could schedule 10 matches against 10 different people on your own, on top of the 6 or so scheduled tee times throughout the year. That person would have a big advantage in the total points race because they’ve participated more.

I think in a “sanctioned event” the people in a foursome could have 3 simultaneous matches going. I wouldn’t want to expand it outside of the playing group, but 3 individual matches is totally reasonable.

There might be also one or two “majors” worth double points during the year at selected sites.

1 Like

SICK. And maybe some Fourball stuff at bigger meetups to change up the format a bit.

It’s very interesting how after showing little to no interest they feel like they can interfere with something the we are trying to build.

I have fully intended to run the roost like a Risk board. This isn’t about fostering friendship or growing the game. It’s about winning. Columbia, join the good guys here.

(Satire. But if we can’t each have one. We might as well have one together)

4 Likes

Yes. One “sanctioned event” per year would likely be a team format if there is enough interest. Points likely to be cut in half in this case. No Zurich bullshit here.

1 Like

Absolutely. Details don’t need to be suss’d out now. Just wanted to point out to the people hesitating due to time commitments that this can be made flexible enough for them to participate at the level they’d want to. Join the Jump on TRoost Union Train Comrade everyone! It’s starting to roll form!

In authoritarian fashion I already changed it to TRoost Union.

Also, I think there are a few of us in here that play KCGA stuff. I would be very flexible on the conditions that constitute a “match” to get this thing off the ground. If we both so agreed beforehand, especially when playing under actual golf rules, we could layer in a TRoost Union match on top of our KCGA competition.

2 Likes

I’d be happy to host some matches at LCC to catch Topeka and west KC Suburb folks. (Please plan to cover your own guest fee)

Could do a round robin as a pod of 4 spread over 3 weekend dates throughout the spring/summer.

5 Likes

We have a big group of people with access to lots of places that bring lots of possibilities. Should we be granted our own roost we’ll work out details and a schedule.

I do want to say that I think the first year that most of the “sanctioned” matches should happen at accessible sites to encourage participation first. With maybe a couple Majors thrown in at places like LCC.

4 Likes

And worst case scenario, they will be able to play a match virtually.

1 Like

I’m ok with doing a one off of a triple header of matches. Makes it simpler too

1 Like

added a roster link.

somebody tell me if this works;
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YhdJJ2Z8K9hOg3tKkXNLp5Uwz1UyndlA2mBLbYCHvds/edit?usp=sharing

Says I need to request access

Im a member with @ericrbens at Oakwood (surprise!). We can host a bigger event as well. Have the Par 3 course going in next Spring and putting course almost done. Would be a fun day out there.

7 Likes

Yeah, I had to request access. I’m so jacked for this gang, you guys have no idea. Ever since injuries forced me to retire from rugby (shoutout KC Blues) I’ve been dying to scratch that competitive itch. Lets get it!

Didn’t know you pulled the trigger. See you out there soon!

share requests granted. I think I fiddled with it so that anyone can edit.

Edit; I see people in there editing. Huzzah!

Also…heading over to Oklahoma Roost to do some recon. You must unify before you conquer. Conquering to unify is destined to fail. @Jrembold

3 Likes