Roll Call: Iowa

As fun as Williamsburg sounds, I don’t think I’m ready to go farther away from DSM for 9 holes. Could I cajole anyone into playing TCI or is that kind of talk forbidden?

1 Like

I ended up not playing (if you thought it was hot yesterday…) If anybody wants to grab a pint downtown DSM tonight I’ll be doing a little bar hopping.

1 Like

I played it but it was blowing 40. Seemed decent but hard to tell that day.

1 Like

Hey everyone. Stopping in from KC here. Will be driving through Des Moines/Ames on the way home from Sand Valley and was wondering where we should stop to golf. I know NOTHING about golf in the area. I’ve heard of Veenker, Coldwater, Tournament Club, and Waveland but don’t know anything about any of them other than what I’ve read in their websites. The group consists of around 6-12 handicaps who are not architecture junkies or anything at all (other than me). Would love some thoughts about conditions, vibe, or any other thoughts really. Thanks I’m advance!

3 Likes

Coldwater: stinks. This was a solid spot 8 years ago but it’s turned into a goat track.
Veenker: lot of fun. Cool routing with pretty solid conditioning.
TCI: sucks. Awesome spot to lose 6 golf balls and your temper for more money than it’s worth.
Waveland: Haven’t been in a long time so probably can’t speak to it as well as others here.
Otter creek: Ankeny municipal course that’s usually in great shape and is a lot of fun
Legacy: public course in Norwalk that is probably my favorite spot in Des Moines. Good conditioning and interesting holes. Absolutely do not try to walk it.

If you play in Ames grab some tacos at Es Tas. If you’re in Des Moines El bait shop / high life lounge (they’re connected) is the spot.

6 Likes

@ZachR @ThatGolfPunk and I played Coldwater last week, my first time out there. I found it… fine. Pace was abysmal for the front nine but we managed to fit in the full 18 with a 5:30 PM start. The routing and land forms are nothing special and more than a little contrived in spots (“inland links”, eat my ass), BUT the conditioning was, if not good, refreshing. Living in this part of the world, you get used to pillow-soft fairways and soil and thick-ass, grabby rough. This place was capital F-Firm. Greens were fast enough and true. Couple really bad spots on a few greens where they clearly tried to transplant plugs that never took, but nothing was pinned anywhere near those spots so they didn’t really come into play. I think if they got rid of the rough entirely and just mowed single-height it would actually be really good.

ALSO - I’m back in Cedar Rapids next week for a brief visit. Looking to play Tuesday, 7/26 anytime after noon. Cc: @ChrisP1

8 Likes

In DSM, you can’t go wrong with Legacy. I second @freesypop when he says it’s his favorite spot in Des Moines. It has plenty of fun holes and is usually in great condition. Waveland is my neighborhood club, so I’m a little biased. If you want a unique course in Des Moines, then this is the spot. Both courses are a tough walk. I would definitely not recommend trying, especially in this heat.

1 Like

what are everyone’s thoughts on 2 DSM area courses in Bos Landen and Lake Panorama? Was wanting to plan a trip up to Des Moines and was trying to come up with a 4-course plan so far with Waveland, Veenker, Bos Landen and Lake Panorama. But hearing these recent comments on Legacy might have to make some adjustments.

1 Like

Haven’t been to either in about 5 years but the routings are fine to good in my experience it just depends on the conditioning. I’ve heard Bos Landen was in awful shape the last couple years but I’m not sure how it’s doing now. Lake panorama was in really good shape when I played there but that was 2017. Neither are outstanding but I’d certainly play at either if I was in the area with no complaints.

2 Likes

Bos Landen is local to me and I’ll play it a few times a year. They have gone through a couple management changes over the last few years which has affected the course condition, but with a more stable management running the course, it’s in good shape compared to what it was a few years back. They’ve also built up a ton of new houses on the course that I think took away some of the character. In my opinion it’s a tough and challenging course, that is a tough, but doable walk(home course for the college and Hs teams). Maybe not in 90 degree heat however.
Also 45-50 minutes from DSM if you’re willing to drive that.

3 Likes

thanks for the info, if you were going to play 4 courses in the area and are ok with traveling out an hour from DMS, what 4 courses would you pick?

1 Like

Legacy, Otter Creek, Veenker, Honey Creek

2 Likes

Wow really like the photos from the websites of Otter and Honey Creek. I was looking at this website Iowa | Top 100 Golf Courses and basing some of it off what this site lists knowing it won’t get everything right and also might have some courses listed way too high.

2 Likes

Non-local here, but I’ve played a few of these. Otter Creek meanders through a subdivision and can be painfully slow but it is a cool course and a great value. I played Bos Landen once last year (possibly 2020, who can say) and it was in great shape, but I do not recommend walking it. Several long and hilly walks from green to tee. Otherwise a fun course and decently priced. Waveland is the one I’ve played the most and it’s super quirky, conditioning is touch and go, but I’ve enjoyed it every time I’ve played despite scoring like shit on what should be a relatively scorable parkland layout.

3 Likes

Also - @ChrisP1 and I booked a 3:30 at Amana Colonies next Tuesday, 7/26. Two spots available if anyone else would like to join.

5 Likes

Amana fuqs.

3 Likes

I’ll see what I can make happen. Have not played out there this year.

2 Likes

2nd that. That place is awesome

1 Like

Ok Im going to try my DSM public area tiers based off course and fun.

S Tier
WAVELAND–historic fun layout with elevation changes. Conditties and pace of play can be tough.
VEENKER–Maxwell holes are great quirky and so fun.
TCI–yes its target golf and tough but its still solid enough for the area.

A Tier
BOS LANDEN–havent played it in awhile but have heard better things with new owners.
OTTER CREEK–course through housing but has some mounding to help shape it.
LEGACY–played league here for 10 years. Solid course but be preparred to have pace of place jammed down your throat.
HONEY CREEK in Boone–Back 9 is very quirky through a valley with fun shots including a par 3 that seems to drop 500ft. My favorite place for best shot tourneys.

B Tier
JESTER PARK–decent place with a par 3 course if you need extra holes.
BLANK-- decent place by the zoo, can hook a couple shots into it. Has best post round meal up the street at Smittys, tenderloins and milshakes.
COLDWATER-- ok place.
SUGAR CREEK-- Quick 9 holer. Could probably get around with 4 or 5 clubs.
WILLOW CREEK–fine.

If its not on the list I havent played it or its not worth the write up. There are a few other b tier type courses like Terrace and Toad but I dont really remember them from 10+ years ago.

5 Likes

Roost Biznass herein:

Hey Guis and gulls…

A new season of the roosts is upon us and ive sent out a message addressing some upcoming events and hope to rope as many of you into our roost, which is only getting bigger and better – we hope!

This is a link to the General Discussion post I just created recently. If that won’t connect you to the board, you have to formally request access, and therefore officially join the roost…

It’s a good time had by all, truly. So we hope to see you over there!

2 Likes