Roll Call: Iowa

Anybody want to get a round in this weekend? Live in Iowa City area, but am open to playing anywhere

Tough scene down in Osceola.
UPDATE: The mayor resigned AND is banned from the course for a year.

3 Likes

The boy has his Junior PGA tourney here tonight.

I’ve played it a handful of times. Far and away the most architecturally significant course in the area.

Best in the state? I can’t speak to that as I haven’t played Cedar Rapids which is usually the highest rated course. Played Harvester post-reno and it’s really, really good. That said, DCC is one of my all time favorite course I’ve been on. Love having it just a quick 10 minutes down the road.

The routing of DCC is fantastic, it has a scale that feels larger than it is.

Maybe it’s just me but Fyre Lake is just awful. Wonderful piece of land, the routing is cool as hell but that’s where it ends. Too mickey-mousey for me, massive green to tee distances rendering the place nearly unwalkable. And, conditions are rully, rully tough out there. New ownership (the what, 4th or 5th owner since it was built?) claims to be doing really good things but I’ll believe it when I see it.

Agree on the Oakwood greens, but I may be biased as that’s my home club.

6 Likes

Probably a dumb question, but are there ways to get on Harvester without being/knowing a member?

4 Likes

Ways to get on best courses in Iowa.

1. Know a member.
  2. USGA event, State event or IGA member day.
  3. Thousand Greens app.
  4. Call, be nice and ask. (This has worked for me in the past at places but I do have a membership at a club to fall back on as a “reciprocal”)
  5. Walk in like you own the place and answer to no one…JK…but maybe?
4 Likes

Couple additional -
6. Reach out inquire about joining, ask for a course tour.
7. Bring your clubs to wedding you have on the premises, sneak away and play a round.

5 Likes

Haven’t called to confirm but I’ve seen unaccompanied is like $300-$400 by just calling in and being very polite and complementary about what you’ve heard about the course…. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

I feel like I heard this somewhere too so I thought I would ask here to see if anyone had this experience.

2 Likes

Anyone been out to fyre lake this year? I’ve heard conditions were really bad the last couple years but the Instagram page looks like they maybe are getting things back. Looking to plan a buddies weekend trip to the QC or DSM but I want to make sure we’re not walking onto a goat track.

2 Likes

Me and @RunItOut played a month or so ago. They’ve patched most of the bad spots on the green and fairways looked fine. I’d say it’s in good shape.

3 Likes