Roll Call: Iowa

Very very hilly. I need to fully think through my opinion on it someday. Its a fine course, just not one that Id want to play a lot. Has some good holes though. Nice short game area if you need to work on chipping.

1 Like

Great Course. You will not have a lot of flat lies, but the course will be pristine. The putting is relatively straight forward (not to say it is not challenging putting, but rather that your ball is going to do what you think it should do).

1 Like

Definitely play from the forward tees. The hills make the course play longer because there’s a lot of landing areas on up slopes.

1 Like

I have never played it, but a former member recently told me if I ever do that the slopes/breaks on the greens towards downtown are more severe than those away from downtown for whatever that’s worth.

1 Like

I have one spot for 2:14 @ Jester Park on Sunday if anyone is interested. I also plan to play the dive bar of goat tracks in Central Iowa; Shady Oaks (a.k.a. Ackworth National) on Labor Day if anyone wants to play a course with five drivable Par 4s & a dogleg over an abandoned farm house.

4 Likes

Damn, i was ready to join you. But it’s a bit of a drive for me. Next time my friend!

1 Like

@grandpa_jones if you wanna play somewhere in QC or IC area I’d be up for a round, or 2, or 3…

1 Like

Good chance I may see you out there Monday. Ill be out there in the afternoon with some buddies.

Possibly interested in joining you Sunday afternoon. I am waiting to hear back from a couple of guys about setting something up. Ill get back to you on that one

I am definitely down for some golf on Sunday. I’m pretty free anytime that day, would prefer the QC since my wife frowns upon me leaving the area for golf.

I am a member at Sunnyside Country club in Waterloo. Its alot like Elmcrest but harder. Ive had a couple of CRCC members play and say its harder than their course.

3 Likes

Iowa City has three great little courses. Four if you count Saddleback in Solon

2 Likes

I’m up for whatever, usually play on the Iowa side, but I’d be in for somewhere on the IL side too. Any suggestions?

I worked on that course for two years way back in 96-97. I learned a lot of what I love about golf, and consequently hate about golf at that course.

1 Like

Anyone else have to decline an invitation to the NIT today? Yeah, me neither. :confused:

1 Like

Hola Iowans!

Taking a middle of Iowa trip in a few days. I’m wondering if anyone can provide comments to the walkability of the following 1=easy 10=death. Nebraska course comps would work also. Thanks!

Waveland
Tournament club IA
Veenker
Coldwater
Rathbun Preserve
Bos Landen

Thanks

@MrHogan5 Been quite a number of years since I played them but I recall Coldwater being being in the 1-2, and Veenker being in the 3-5 range.

Literally no NEB experience to compare except Beatrice Country Club like 15 years ago…

TCI is a 9, I agree that coldwater is a 1-2 and veenker a 3-5. Waveland is quite hilly.

Coldwater is extremely walkable and TCI is extremely unwalkable. Those are the only two I have played, but assume Rathburn and Bos Landen are cart rounds from what I have heard.

Bos Landen is really hilly and not particularly compact. It’s more walkable than TCI but it’s not great.

Rathbun is similar but from what I remember isn’t quite as hilly.

Ill share my thoughts…

Waveland: 7 - It is very hilly, but certainly walkable. I walk it most rounds unless its an extremely hot day

Tournament club IA: 9 - I have never seen anyone walk this. It is doable, but some long tee to green transitions, some good size hills. its doable, but I would never do it myself

Veenker 3-4, I have only played it once a few years ago, I dont see any issues walking it

Coldwater 1, by far the easiest to walk on this list. pretty flat with good tee to green transitions

Rathbun Preserve 5-7, only played it once and took a cart. could be more difficult, it has been a few years since I was there

Bos Landen 8-9, pretty hilly, a couple longer tee to green transitions on the back, residential course so crossing some roads

1 Like