Roll Call: Iowa

Fellow MN refugee and and ISU alum checking in here to look out for you. I played Coldwater earlier this year and boy oh boy was it beat to hell. Place was in really tough shape.

I personally recommend playing Veenker - it’ll be about a ten minute drive from your kid’s apartment but I think it’s a lot better experience.

3 Likes

I have played Veenker twice. I shot 118 the first time & 83 a year later. I need to play it again sooner than later.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up on course conditions. Was thinking that would be a good Lawsonia prep, but doesn’t sound like it. Anyone interested in joining me at Veenker next Saturday (8/14)? I just grabbed the 8:50 tee time so If anyone wants to tag along they are more than welcome.

1 Like

Count me in, veenker at 850.

Sweet! looking forward to it! 2 more spots available if anyone else is interested.

I created a thread in Events (Return to the Birthplace of Strapped ) throwing out the idea of an event next year incorporating some of the original Strapped courses and the Iowa State Fair. I have no idea if enough people would be interested to even do anything, but I welcome any and all feedback you have, especially if you think there would be sufficient interest.

8 Likes

Throw this in the MN Roll call too

1 Like

Good call, might be worth while to share it in MN, Kansas City, Omaha, Wisconsin & Illinois. All those locations are easy drives to DSM.

@ThatGolfPunk I dont want to steal your thunder, but happy to help spread the word around the refuge if needed.

2 Likes

Great idea. I shared it in the MN thread, but please feel free to share it elsewhere as that will probably have more gravitas from you than as a post from my novice ass. Also, there’s no thunder to be stolen as if this happens, it will definitely be a group effort.

2 Likes

Group effort for sure. Was going to volunteer my services. May have to have a meeting of the minds at some point to get ideas down and a plan of action.

3 Likes

I agree 100%.

1 Like

Last call on the 2 open spots to join @Sweet_Cupn_Cake and I at Veenker at 8:50 this Saturday (8/14). I will wait until tomorrow morning to drop my reservation down to 2, but wanted to take one more crack at seeing if anyone was game to join us!

1 Like

Just want to give some love to Iowa golf from a recent golf trip I was on this past weekend. I’m from the Kansas City area and met a buddy who lives in the small town of Clarence, Iowa. He is a member at Tipton Country Club which for being a 9 hole course was well above my expectations. We then took a trip to Amana Colonies later that day and this place was worth the 5 hour trip to Iowa. Every hole is picturesque and couldn’t stop commenting on how beautiful the course was. The next day we went to Brown Deer in Coralville which was also a good course, loved the open front 9 there. We finished up at the University of Iowa course, Finkbine which was another gem. Great layout and course conditions were in excellent shape. Overall I was very impressed with this small sample size of Iowa golf I had the opportunity to experience. Looking forward to making more trips up to see other courses Iowa has to offer!

10 Likes

I was able to snag the 4th spot online at 8:50. Sorry for being late to the party. Someone has to keep @Sweet_Cupn_Cake in check

1 Like

Hope the cart paths at Amana didn’t rattle your fillings :grin:

I can’t remember the number but Iowa has more 9 hole courses than any other state. Not per capita. Insane, but then every little town like Tipton, Kalona, Central City, etc., has a 9 holer. Great community golf.

3 Likes

Welcome to the party!

See you boys in about 24 hours. Looking forward to getting a little taste of Iowa golf. Appreciate @Sweet_Cupn_Cake, @eberke, & you joining me and providing a little Iowa hospitality!

2 Likes

I’m in the IC area but commute to QC for work too. If you ever need a partner or filler in the group let me know. Have not made my way up to CR courses yet so I’m eager to get up there as the year progresses.

2 Likes

Welcome my friend!

1 Like

I am interested. and would also be interested in helping organize.

3 Likes

Got invited to go play Wakonda GC, anyone with any strong opinions or tips?

2 Likes