Roll Call: Iowa

I have not. I did hear the city of Pella bought the course and that conditions have improved… not sure if any of that is true though.

1 Like

Bos definitely isn’t what it used to be, but still a good track. They’re under new management, same guys that run Edmondson/harvest point in Osky. I live here in town and rumors I had heard about Bos were that Vermeer/Pella Corp basically kinda told the city they needed to invest some more money in the course. City has always owned it, just never put the resources into it like they should.

1 Like

Ahh yea that makes much more sense. Hopefully things start looking up. I always try to get there at least once a year.

1 Like

Had a slow round at Jester Park today with @ZachR . Had the group behind us play hole 18 as a 6 some. One of them was a fellow refugee. We were able to watch @ThatGolfPunk 2 putt to break 80 for the first time, with room to spare at 77. Congrats!!

5 Likes

Thank you sir, it was a honor to share my final shots of the round with 3 proper golfers who can probably break 80 in their sleep.

2 Likes

New member from Cedar Rapids checking in. I play most of my golf at:

1. Amana
  2. Hunters Ridge
  3. Saddleback
  4. Wildcat

I have also made it out to The Preserve, Deere Run, Ellis, St Andrews and Glynns Creek this year. I’m hoping to make it down to Spirit Hollow this summer too.

7 Likes

What?!? No Twin Pines?!? :wink:

5 Likes

No Airport Nat’l?

4 Likes

The cart paths at Amana are in rough shape. Surprised the carts haven’t all broken down.

haha I’ve stayed away from Airport and Twin Pines. I will say that they are great courses for their target audience (juniors, seniors and high handicappers). I forgot to mention Elmcrest, and the 9 hole course in Mt. Vernon.

The cart paths at Amana are very rough, but the investment they’ve put into the golf course has been great. They have removed some tree’s so that fairways and greens are getting more sun, they’ve removed some bunkers that were difficult to maintain, they don’t overwater it like they used to, and the course is much firmer and faster.

I haven’t gotten the chance to play CR Country Club yet, but am very curious to see what it will look like after losing most of the tree’s.

1 Like

Iowa refugees,

I’m driving through Des Moines/Ames on my way to Wisconsin Saturday (7/31), and looking to sneak in a round to break up the drive. Was contemplating hitting up Veenker in Ames (home of the first Icarito caught on camera), but would be interested in playing in Des Moines. Is anyone able to join for a Saturday evening (4:00p-5:00p tee time) round?

Thanks,
Rob

1 Like

Once again I volunteer @ZachR since I am in Cali. :grin:

Normally I would, but I’m going to the ICubs game that day

I am playing Jester Park on Saturday afternoon. I am likely playing at 2:38 PM, but also have a 4:06 PM Tee time in case I have my daughter later than anticipated. Also, @ZachR needs a break as I am pretty sure I saw him hoofing it in the heat on Tuesday.

Change of plans. I can make it Saturday. Which time?

1 Like

@ZachR, if @Rocco is in, I have 3 reserved for 4:06. If not have 2 reserved for you & I at 2:38.

Awesome - thank you, fellas. I’m in for 4:06p. Looking forward to meeting you!

1 Like

MN refuge heading to Ames next weekend to visit my son. Booked a tee time for 7:30am Saturday, 8/14 at Coldwater in Ames if anyone interested in tagging along as I am booked as a solo. Gearing up for the Lawsonia event the following weekend.

2 Likes

Tempting. My course in Des Moines is closed for member guest and Ill also be up at Lawsonia for The Ope’n. Will have to check and get back with you.

Would love to have you join me if it works out. Never played Coldwater, but it is right across the street from my son’s apartment so it fits the bill. I may just go ahead and call to add a 2nd just to save the spot.