Roll Call: Houston

I mean, he released a statement immediately afterwards describing the whole thing but it was also through the Barstool guys so you may have missed it.

He knows the secrecy is part of the problem but unfortunately he’s not in charge.

2 Likes

That’s definitely why I never saw it!

I don’t have anything against the guy or Reed. I think it’s a good thing Kessler is doing some podcasts lately too; since Reed doesn’t do any media the public shapes his image which is rarely positive.

Headed to HTown next week to see my parents. Looking to go play with my dad somewhere he hasn’t played in the area. Should we go to High Meadow Ranch or Black Horse?

I think High Meadow is a better course and layout but it is a trek out there. Black horse is still a solid option though.

2 Likes

How are you hitting it? High Meadow can feel like you’re hitting down a hallway. If you’re spraying it, Blackhorse is probably a better option (although it’s got its own breed of difficulty).

1 Like

We are both 8’s and hitting it well as of late. So with a little research, I see where Blackhorse has two courses. Is one better than the other?

1 Like

South has the signature par three they advertise and has way less houses on it. Probably the better option.

2 Likes

Definitely the South course. Watch the blind creek on 15, you can’t carry it off the tee… speaking from several experiences.

Edit: Unless you’re tipping it out, then bomb driver and you’re good. You’ll be short of it.

1 Like

High Meadow Ranch would be my choice

1 Like

Played High Meadow Ranch on Monday and it was awesome. One of the best finishing holes in Houston IMO. I like it better than Black Horse and it’s usually cheaper.

Played CyLakes Friday after work and it is coming back in to shape nicely.

1 Like

Yeah I played High Meadow back in May and they kept it in amazing shape even thought it was right in the middle of the first Covid wave.

I went to the Jersey Meadow driving range yesterday, I’d never been out there before and I realized it’s only 15 minutes from me and had mats to hit off of. It seems like a decent course. I like that they have a chipping green with a sand trap to practice out of so I think I’m going to go out there pretty often instead of 5050 Acorn.

1 Like

Watch it! I refuse to believe that Oklahoma exists even though I went to school in that dumb state.

1 Like

Looks like I’ll be playing Gleannloch Pines (formerly Farms) on Sunday evening with my dad, brother, and brother-in-law. Dad used to be very good and my brother-in-law is a former pro baseball player (pitcher, so he had plenty of time to play golf) so it should be a fun round. Gleannloch was our home course back in high school so I’ve played all 3 nines a lot.

1 Like

Had to do some sprinkler work this afternoon in my backyard (I live on a par 5 at my club, right in the landing zone for an overcooked draw). About a foot down in the dirt, found this… wonder what year?

7 Likes

We ended up playing Jersey Meadow as Gleannloch was too expensive for a round for my brother who hadn’t played in 4 or 5 years.

We ended up calling it after 12 holes because my dad couldn’t take the heat anymore but it was a fun track and I was playing pretty well. 110 degree heat index though so it was pretty brutal.

Sorry to double post but I took my drone back out to Jersey Meadow tonight because I’m only 10 minutes away and took some photos and videos.

May actually get this printed

5 Likes

It’s a true tragedy that it took so long to post here and to finally play Memorial Park. I’m definitely disappointed I waited so long after the reopening because good lord that place fuqs. Place of play might kinda suck, but 30 bucks to walk ain’t a bad deal at all.

6 Likes

Has it been renovated yet or are they still talking about doing that?

I had never played it before but based on what my dad said, it looks like it has been renovated since he lived in the neighborhood 30 years ago.

I just booked the last tee time of the evening at Gus Wortham on Thursday. Gonna walk it with my fiance.

1 Like

They’ve started to grow the rough up at memorial park. Pair that with some fast greens and sloped runoffs from each green, and this could be a fun setup for the pros. Not an overly difficult driving course, but a good approach game will get rewarded.

4 Likes