Roll Call: Houston

It certainly will be somewhat different at least, Redstone/GCOH definitely is somewhat bland and I think Memorial can beat it. The fast greens and runoff are so much better for the average player too. GCOH is way more of a dick punch to me.

3 Likes

I’m curious to see how they set up the driving range. Surely the pros aren’t using the regular driving range there.

They’re doing construction behind the driving range, I heard supposedly they’re going to bulldoze some of those tennis courts or something to that degree.

3 Likes

That’d be great, who needs tennis courts when you could have 50 more yards of driving range

It would be absolutely sick if the pros had to use the normal range and couldn’t hit much more than irons.

1 Like

Lmao I’m just imaging the marshall getting on Bryson’s ass for pumping them over the net.

I was there last week and they were starting work on extending the range.

3 Likes

Would be realllly sick if they had to use the rocks that Memorial calls range balls…

2 Likes

My biggest issue is the mats are like rough length. My clubs just get absolutely buried down in them unless you hover over them like you’re hitting out of the sand

You know thinking about that just makes me kinda disappointed that no one is gonna be able to attend the Open. I was really excited to see how much better the event likely was.

3 Likes

That is going to be a letdown. My main focus now is on the Women’s Open in December. My parents live across the street from Champions so I’m hoping we get to go. We have a good connection to Stacy Lewis so we’d love to follow her one of the days. I also want to watch Danielle Kang a little bit.

3 Likes

Memorial and Gus are both too good. As someone who played a lot of muni golf for high school tournaments, i feel these renovations are my reward for time served dodging kids at sharpstown stealing the balls from fairways. Memorial’s pace of play can definitely stink and gus with the parallel fairways can be a damn shooting gallery. I love them both.

5 Likes

Talked to one of the pros at Memorial park the other week. Stros foundation purchased the tennis courts behind the range and are moving them to another part of the park. Plan is to extend the back end of the range another 40-50 yds before the tourney rolls into town. Back up plan is to furnish the area between the range and 10th fairway as a longer area for woods/drivers.

3 Likes

I feel like 5050 Acorn is great for hanging out with friends and hitting golf balls as an activity, definitely not a place to practice since it’s just straight up dirt 95% of the time. How was the Jersey Meadows range? It’s a little further out but the Marti Golf Center was in really good shape with nice range balls + Chipping / putting area. Not sure if that’s too far from you though.

Jersey Meadow was actually in really great shape. They do mats on the range Saturday, Sunday, and Monday then grass the other 4 days.

Mats are so cheap now and they just remove so much maintenance, I don’t understand why all of these cheap driving ranges don’t just go to that.

1 Like

Played Gus Wortham tonight for the first time. What a great course. They’ve done a really good job with the remodel.

6 Likes

Visiting family in Woodlands/Spring area. Playing Memorial Park on Sunday and would like to get out to hit some balls. Any suggestions for best public practice facilities close to Spring/Woodlands area?

Thanks!

I seem to remember Windrose in Spring having a nice practice facility when I played junior events there

Finally got around to playing to reno’d Memorial this morning (before all this rain). Agree with all the above - beautiful course, unbelievable we have a Doak as a muni here. It is an incredible deal. And can confirm - rough is real up but that second cut saved my ass a few times today. And greens are QUICK, I couldn’t find the pace at all

5 Likes

Someone posted this on Reddit

And my immediate thought was “That looks like Melrose”

Guess what, it is.

What a garbage course. It could be so much better if they’d just ditch 9 holes and sell the land, then actually maintain the place.

My son had a tournament at Oakhurst back in June and they’d lost some of their green as well. It was horrendous the condition of some of the greens (looked like that pic) to make the kids putt over that. It did make him appreciate “nicer” golf courses though… haha!

1 Like