Roll Call: Houston

Uhhhhhhh dude? I might close your DMs for a bit.

You mean his brother in law right?

Yeah, we’ve been friends since Kindergarten. Justine used to drive us to golf practice in high school until we got cars in junior year.

1 Like

That is insane.

So Im sure know you’re aware that most people here are not the biggest Reed fans, myself included.

He’s a mysterious guy, and I don’t want to pry too deep into the family, but would be interested to know if there are any general misconceptions about his multiple cheating allegations in the past. I don’t mean to be rude, but I don’t know how else to frame it.

2 Likes

I should also say that I’m 100% willing to walk back that take, but given that he’s never talked about any of it, it’s hard to see both sides of it.

1 Like

More please

sUmDWd7

6 Likes

I like Reed. Somewhat in a rooting for the heel way, but I also think fans and the media have been shitty about his personal life, and Justine. We don’t know the whole story.

1 Like

I’ve only been around him a few times but he’s always been really nice to me. He’s…weird I guess is probably the right word. Like he wants to be funny but it just doesn’t come across well but he’s generally well-meaning. I think it’s pretty obvious Justine runs his social media and won’t let him do interviews or podcasts so people only see his worst times and don’t get to see anything else about him as a person. He actually does a ton of work with the junior golf association here. I can’t speak to the cheating because Kessler says he really didn’t mean to, at least for the sand thing, but I’ve never talked to Patrick about it. Kessler and I have both talked for a long time about how much better it would be if he would just say stuff like “Man, I really didn’t mean to move the sand but I obviously did so I apologize. They told me it was a 2-stroke penalty and I totally accept that, even though it cost me the tournament.” But he won’t, because his wife is his manager and she’s not the same person I knew growing up anymore.

Kessler has been doing a lot of podcasts recently though and I know he’s got a few more coming up. One just came out on some podcast called Golf-Ish where they talked for almost 2 hours. He’s a good guy. Hell, Kessler and Patrick got me a flag from the 2016 Ryder Cup signed by the whole team, including the captains. And my entire wardrobe essentially has come from him lol. When they switched to Nike for apparel, Nike gives them new clothes basically every week. Kess and I are about the same size so he gives me stuff he hasn’t worn but is tired of storing. Last time I went to his house I ended up with like 5 pairs of shorts, a dozen polos, and hats in every color. Also a couple of really nice quarter-zips.

I’m more willing to give Patrick the benefit of the doubt because I have been friends with Kessler for so long and I know what kind of person he is and I trust him. So if he tells me Patrick isn’t nearly as bad as everyone thinks I feel I can trust him.

Edit: I will say, the fact that people give him so much shit about his family is really sad. His family life was not great and it’s totally within his rights to say “Hey, I don’t want to deal with these people anymore and I don’t have to.” The fact that his family is constantly speaking to the media about it and showing up at tournaments even though they know he doesn’t want them there (they still go to almost every tournament he’s in, they were in Paris for the 2018 Ryder Cup too) speaks more to them than it does to him. Imagine how shitty a parent would have to be to know that it upsets their child when he sees them and still just constantly showing up at their job anyway.

15 Likes

Thanks for the insight, seriously. From the way you describe him, Kessler seems like a great dude.

Agreed, which is why I didn’t ask about it. It sucks that he has to answer those questions, especially if he was in the right and his family was in the wrong.

Appreciate your response man.

3 Likes

Please feel free to tell me to F off and say you’re not comfortable answering this…but would you be willing to expand on this a bit? Is it fame / power related that she’s changed, or what would you say has mostly caused her to not be the same person you knew?

1 Like

I really hope we get a fleshed our response to all these questions from Patrick one of these days. That would potentially be some of the best golf content of all time. I don’t want to marginalize him with the word “content” either because he’s a person, not a sideshow. It would be fascinating and I hope some day down the road he feels comfortable enough to publicly face that.

6 Likes

I can’t say, because I actually haven’t been around her since high school, but from what I’ve been told by everyone else it’s partly fame/power and partly the media. I think the media coming after him so hard from the beginning (especially when he said he felt like a top 5 player in the world) kinda turned her off from wanting to deal with them. So she shuts everything down.

Edit: Definitely didn’t mean to derail this whole thread but he lives in The Woodlands so he’s one of our own.

7 Likes

Man thanks for the insight. That’s a tough spot to be in for your buddy who seems like a good dude and then the coverage around Reed (and all that comes with him; cheating, family issues, etc).

I can totally appreciate Reed’s family situation. One of my best buddies is in similar scenario, kind of estranged from a big chunk of his family because he’s the non-crazy one.

I’m out and about in the Woodlands all the time and have heard that they don’t hide… I know folks that run in to Patrick and Justine routinely and they’re pleasant, not jerks or anything like that. (Note I’ve never seen them myself).

Also… big ups to you on literally saving thousands of dollars on brand new gear. Well done on that.

Two more follow up questions just because I’m all in on your story telling here… and feel free to cut me off if you don’t feel right speaking on that matter. 1) Did your buddy actually punch that fan at the Presidents Cup? 2) Do you know if he’ll talk to the NLU guys for an episode?

Thanks for sharing btw… for some reason it’s super fascinating to hear about it!

1 Like
  1. He didn’t lol. I was visiting my fiance’s family that weekend and we had just gotten to their house. I’d told myself I was going to stay off my phone as much as possible because I wanted to make sure I was in the moment. Literally 5 minutes after walking in the door I get a notification “Patrick Reed’s Caddy Assaults Fan” and I was like “god damnit Kessler!”

I texted him immediately and he was like “No, I didn’t punch him. He was screaming at us from 3 feet away, clearly drunk, so I got up and knocked his drink out of his hand. He definitely thought I was going to hit him though, you should have seen the look on his face when he realized he couldn’t just scream at people with no repercussions.” When I texted him he had already spoken to the PGA rep he had to meet with and was having drinks with the Barstool guys. There was a reason there weren’t any bigger repercussions for him and it’s because he didn’t actually do anything but slap a drink.

1. As far as I’m aware, they’ve never asked him. But he was pitching it to Patrick for a long, long time until finally Patrick was like “yeah, I’ll talk to them” and they set something up. I don’t know what happened between them setting it up and actually recording the podcast but my guess is that Justine found out how much they make fun of Patrick and shut it down, which is the opposite of what should have happened because if he’d played along with it he’d look better, but oh well.

Edit: One thing I will add about the President’s Cup is that I think it says a lot that the team gave the trophy to Patrick to carry off the bus when they got back to the hotel because they knew Kessler was waiting to welcome them back.

14 Likes

one last question: can you ask pat to unblock me on twitter I promise I’ll stop retweeting the video I made of the sand and the Paterpillar logo I forgot he was a Houston boy

7 Likes

Gonna need some quotes around “one of our own”. This is the houston thread, not the south Dallas thread… jokes, kind of.

2 Likes

The city limits go at least 22.5 miles from the center of downtown towards the NW and NE side. I know this exact number because of summers in college spent commuting those 22.5 miles to downtown every damn day from my parents’ house.

2 Likes

There is no Dallas, there is only southern Oklahoma.

4 Likes

2 Likes

I practice where Patrick does at The Woodlands CC, and he has always been extremely nice to me. He will always say hello, and ask how I have been. If I have any questions or looking for advice on stuff, he is always willing to give me his thoughts and opinions. All the members seem to really like him, and will always congratulate him when he has done well. There aren’t afraid to go up to him when he is practicing and he is always nice when they do. He actually even congratulated me on my T-3 finish at a SYMETRA EVENT at the beginning of the year when I saw him next.

13 Likes

I might be in the minority but I think this is the first time I’m ever hearing a clarification that a punch wasn’t actually thrown. I feel like that’s a HUGE part of the problem for Team Reed: no one likes the secrecy. Especially in this day and age with social media, it’s tough to root for a guy that doesn’t cater to the public. I’m not generalizing anything about him in smaller settings or in private, but it’s tough when there are a lot of storylines about him and very little presence on his side.

1 Like