Roll Call: Houston

Playing for the first time this Saturday. The advance tee time system is a real game changer

I ended up being the first guy off the course this morning—there were a few groups of Scots ahead of me who waved me through while they were playing, which was amazing—and I got all 18 done in about 2 hours and 45 minutes. Cleaned up, changed, and in the office by 10 am. Advance tee time system is amazing.

3 Likes

Can’t wait to get out and play it. Heard great things as well, even when it wasn’t fully grown in yet

Yeah, it’s still not fulllllly grown in, but I’d say it’s probably 75% of the way there. When this place is humming in the fall, I think the pros are going to have a tougher time than they expect. The pins were diabolical today. A couple of par 3s with a landing area about the size of a twin bed.

1 Like

Make it there once a quarter for work. Most of our customers are headquartered out of Houston.

Usually stay off of Post Oak for a night or two then head up to Montgomery to spend time with one of my friends up there. Normally play Bentwater CC (Scott and Weiskopf courses) and occasionally wonder over to Walden on Lake Conroe or La Torreta (which I believe is Margaritaville now???).

Any of y’all have a recommendation for a course close to the Galleria district?

Memorial Park is closest and likely best public option near there (see above from @roberthunter ). I’m out in Cypress where there are a few good tracks. Play BlackHorse and Cypress Lakes mostly up there.

It would help to read, wouldn’t it? Lol.

Just looked at them on the web, BlackHorse looks sick. May have to venture out your way next time I’m out there. Always looking for a good reason to take an extra day or two to play golf… um I mean see customers.

Played Monday afternoon. It was my fourth time playing out there, and I keep liking it more and more.

Couldn’t agree more about some of the pin placements! The fairways are easy to find, but Doak more than makes up for it on the greens. Tucked pins and crazy multi-tiers.

First time I played was the longest at just over five hours. The other three have all been just under four hours, which is pretty damn good for a course that gets such high volume.

Can’t wait for the pros to play there in October.

So a quick update. We are lucky to have rounds setup Thu and Fri at some really nice courses in the area. Neither of those rounds is at memorial park, and we are dying to play there, so we’re going to try booking a mid/late morning tee time there for Saturday using the 30 day advance booking.

Thanks for all the advice and invites, should be an awesome first trip to Texas!

1 Like

Whats up guis? Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like i’ll be allocated enough time to play golf, but I’m going to be in Houston for a wedding end of March. I was told Texas Attire is fully acceptable/expected.

Can you guys inform me what’s outrageous and what’s not to wear to a Texas wedding? I’m down to go all out (I’m from NYC, so this will be like halloween for me). Any recommendations? Hat, Boots, Bolo, badass belt buckle. What else should I be looking for?

Thank you!

1 Like

I’d stick with boots, jeans, and a jacket if I were you. Maybe a hat if you think you can pull it off, but most people won’t wear one. Went to a very “Texan” wedding in the middle of the day recently and there were probably 3 times more suits than cowboy hats.

2 Likes

I’d say be authentic about it and don’t cosplay as a “Texan”. Don’t force something that isn’t part of your norm. Belt buckle and boots would be all I’d do

1 Like

My buddy and I are playing Memorial Park tomorrow morning (Friday) at 9:50 AM and have 2 open tee times available. Anyone interested?

Snagged my first albatross at BlackHorse in Cypress yesterday on #9 of the south course!

15 Likes

Nicely done! Congrats.
I will be playing the North Course on Saturday and Sunday.

1 Like

I’ll be in town in a few weeks and will be playing Memorial with my dad first thing in the morning on April 9. @ajsHTX, @RobertHunter told me I should hit you up, but anyone else is welcome to join too! We will have 2 spots.

2 Likes

Not sure I can swing the midweek round, but enjoy Memorial! It’s a blast.

Yeah I figured that might be a tough ask.

1 Like

Thursday morning is too audacious even for me and my work from home life.

4 Likes

Yeah, maybe with that attitude.

2 Likes