Roll Call: Houston

Woof.

I figure Easter weekend will be slammed but that is baaaaad.

The tee time lottery where i clicked on 3 different ones before being granted one definitely made me lean towards “this gonna be a 5 hr round”

I’m pretty sure they were having a tournament in front of us, so I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt. It’s also the first time I’ve had issues with it moving slowly out there, but yeah the round was heading north of 5 hours before we had to bail. Might just be too popular right now, not a bad problem for them!

2 Likes

What a delight HMR was!

Highly, highly cosign anyone who hasnt been out checks it out.

6 Likes

Quick thread interruption - heading into Houston tonight for a quick 48hrs. Staying at the Magnolia downtown and hitting My Morning Jacket at the White Oak venue tomorrow night. Any suggestions on a good lunch spot (prefer oysters/seafood or something unique/interesting to Htown) and dinner spot down around the hotel area?

Hotel is off Main btw Memorial & Capitol Sts.

If any of you are headed to the show, will happily pickup a round and say hi. Thanks!

Seafood: BB’s in the heights or Flying Fish
Non Seafood Lunch: Onion Creek, Loro, Ninfas on Navigation, Truth BBQ

Downtownish: Nancys Hustle (probably no reservations but usually can get in), St. Arnolds Brewery, Hearsay, Xochi, Post Market (as seen on top chef)

3 Likes

This is awesome, thank you. Got a res at Xochi for dinner and Post Market looks perfect for lunch.

2 Likes

If you can only pick one, I’d highly recommend Truth BBQ. Some of the best BBQ in the state.

We’re heading up to Austin for the rest of the weekend and will be on a pretty steady BBQ diet once we get there. Will keep Truth in mind for next time through though.

1 Like

I need to give them another shot - thoroughly unimpressed the first 2 times i had it. Once during covid as takeout and once back in February.

That’s disappointing to hear. I’ve never had a bad experience there. It’s been awhile since I’ve been, so hopefully your experience isn’t a sign that they’ve changed.

Went to Golfstrammen in the Post Market for lunch. Absolutely stellar. Got a chance to chat with the owner (I think), dude named Mike. Couldn’t have been nicer and the food was stellar. Highly recommend it if you’re over there.

Thanks for the tip @anotherballromes !

1 Like

I realize it’s a long shot, but is anyone here a structural engineer or know one that I could get to come out and tell me if it’s possible to raise the joists (or even just 2 of them) on our detached hip roofed garage? I’m trying to move my simulator setup into our garage/pool cabana and the only thing holding me back is that I might catch a joist in my follow through. I reached out to a company near me but they want $250 to even look at it. I may end up just having to eat that cost but I figured I’d look here first.

Just moved back to Houston and looking to take a few lessons. Any recent good experiences with pros in the area?

Trey Birchum out at Meadowbrook. Used to work at River Ridge in Sealy, charges $40 for a half hour, straightened out my driver in half that time

I heard that Memorial fired their greenskeeper recently. I know they had a very rough spring, which is kind of puzzling with the condition of Gus.

3 Likes

Have two spots at Gus tomorrow at 12:20 if anyone is interested in kicking Memorial weekend off right…

Several of our guys have recommended David Pilsner down in Friendswood. Haven’t made the trek yet as I’m in Cypress/Tomball but I have heard great things.

1 Like

Houston is a pretty broad area and you might get answers that are way out of your way.

What specific part of town are you looking for?

1 Like

I’m in the Heights. Obviously would appreciate someone close but willing to drive a bit to get a good coach who is reasonably priced.

1 Like

Gotcha. Unfortunately, I only know a couple in The Woodlands and in Sugarland.

Welcome back to the area!

1 Like