Roll Call: Houston

Yea, if you want as close as you can get to Pine Dunes in the greater Houston area I would go to High Meadow Ranch.

2 Likes

Just in a sense that it’s far away from Houston proper, right?

Or is the tee sheet jammed this time of year?

It’s like 3 hours from Houston. Tee sheet is wide open.

2 Likes

Exactly! 6 hours in the car and making a flight doesn’t seem ideal. It’s a wonderful course but not worth that much hassle

1 Like

@TCRBrad I know you’d mentioned playing in the Ice Bowl in Dallas on 01/30. If you’re in DFW that time it’s only an hour and a half each way to Frankston. Could be much easier to work in then.

1 Like

Please keep the DFW comments to a minimum in here

9 Likes

Ahhhhhhh I gotcha - yeah for some reason I thought Pine Dunes was closer to Houston rather than DFW.

Well then in THAT case…anyone have recommendations other than Memorial Park?
Might try and see about getting on to Deerwood just to recreate a “Tin Cup” moment

My apologies. I don’t even go here.

I LOVE the variation in holes and the green complexes. Only hitting driver off of a handful of holes makes for such an enjoyable round there.

Only negatives I’ve experienced - dudes in the proshop haven’t been the friendliest I’ve encountered, and no 19th hole for some cold beer afterwards or during.

1 Like

I apologize! Born and raised in Houston and still down there all the time, but stuck living in Dallas so I monitor both threads. Just trying to help him out!

1 Like

Gus Wortham and Memorial are the best walk on vibes for a single. Deerwood is a Club Corp course, so very possible to get on. You might check out Cypresswood, High Meadow Ranch, Golf Club of Houston, Wilderness, Eagle Pointe, and maybe Timber Creek if @ajsHTX can confirm the greens are back. Also could be worth a shot at calling up Blue Jack and seeing if they will let you on.

2 Likes

Wilderness is in great condition. I played it the week of Christmas and it’s so good. You can also check out the wonky downtown streets in Lake Jackson named This Way, That Way, Which Way, Any Way, and Circle Way.

3 Likes

Just a heads-up , you have to be whatever the highest tier of ONE / XLIFE / whatever cheesy name for the tier system at ClubCorp to get on at Deerwood, and even then the tee sheet is super restrictive.

It’s a super well conditioned track, and fun to play for the tin cup nostalgia - but not worth the dues they ask to be a member IMO.

Tradition at Cypresswood is usually in pretty decent shape - same for GCOH (although I’d recommend the members course if you can get on).

Wilderness is A++

4 Likes

Highly unlikely access to BlueJack or Deerwood. But if ya can get on, enjoy!

I’ve just heard its possible if you call up on a dead weekday. Maybe someone with Wilson Golf connections could get on there like @TCRBrad

1 Like

All I’m going to say - is that it helps to work in the industry lol

I’ll second GCOH. Member’s course is a must if you can access it.

4 Likes

You’ll enjoy this @anotherballromes (and others)

The time I went RIGHT to the hoop and drove on property of ANGC

Pine Dunes is a HAUL as mentioned by others - only really worth it if ya stay up there for evening so can play twice (or more). They are in the process of updating all bunkers to “billy” bunker so keep that in mind. Bearkat is worth stopping on way if coming from HTX - great bones but can be a little unkempt if mother nature has not been cooperating. Cyrpresswood Traditions, Eagle Pointe, Wilderness, Gus & Memorial would be my recs for public access. If ya wanna play Northgate CC or Walden on Lake Controe while in town, hit me up, happy to host.

1 Like