Roll Call: Houston

please add yourself as an alternate to the spreadsheet.

1 Like

Done. I just need to PM @rrundle14 so we can set up a match for the “Best of the Rest” title.

Hi All, new here and missed this. Live inside the loop. Member at Shadow Hawk and Houston Oaks. Interested in playing. Will sign up as an alternate.

5 Likes

Lived in Houston until ~5 years ago and might be moving back now. Used to play almost exclusively public golf when I lived there.

Any recommendations for private clubs? I’ll probably be living in the Heights and working in Humble. Would be looking for a junior membership preferably and trying to spend no more than $5k down and $500 a month (little flexible there for the right opportunity.

I live in the Heights and there are about zero affordable options country club wise within 20 minutes without traffic. Great food, patio bars, shopping ect galore but golf is not in plenty. Memorial Park is the inner loop country club of the every day man and Gus Wortham is a real gem.

If I were you I would probably check out Kingwood (multiple courses and pricing options) since you will be working out in Humble, or maybe Golf Club of Houston but it might be a out of your price range but sometimes they run specials.
Royal Oaks and Pine Forest and Braeburn are out west and would be tough to get to from work.

1 Like

I’m a member over at Royal Oaks and it’s not bad from the Heights but if you’re looking for after work from Humble it’ll be a no go. I believe Braeburn is closed for renovation for almost a year. Most non-club corp are probably going to want more than $5k down though.

2 Likes

Morning Y’all,

Hope everyone is doing well over in Houston. I am heading that way in 2 weeks from Louisiana to spend some time with a good friend. We plan on playing Friday evening and Saturday morning. He pitched Memorial and I know it’s a good track, but wanted to get the local input from y’all.

Not sure if the course will still be open then because of the Houston Open. They are only doing shotgun starts out there right now once or twice a day for $98, which would be a discount for you being out of town. Gus Wortham is definitely the other I would play.

Yeah the tournament is a week after your visit so they might just be completely closed by then.

How is High Meadow Ranch?

High Meadow is a real fun course. Might run into some Renaissance Festival traffic but its always in good shape.

Long time Houstonian, first time Refugee, thanks for taking my call.

I live in the Clear Lake area and spend most of my time playing/practicing at Bay Forest in La Porte.

4 Likes

I am also in Clear Lake, as of May! Welcome to the Refuge!

2 Likes

Hey, guys that play Gus regularly. How serious is it to get a tee time on a Saturday morning?

My brother wants 8 of us to play next Saturday morning before his wedding so I’m going to try to get the 2 earliest times. Do I need to be on my computer at midnight after the Astros game tomorrow to get them?

In my experience, yes, those times go extremely quickly.

1 Like

Last time I checked, Cypresswood - The Tradition had several morning slots available. I know it’s not Gus, but wanted to throw that out there for you since getting 2 tee times at Gus is improbable.

1 Like

Heading over for a couple days of meetings tomorrow through Friday. Going to try and get an afternoon round in tomorrow or Thursday on the south side of town if anyone is interested. Want to try and avoid too much traffic as I’ll be in the Pasadena area.

1 Like

I would try to hit up Gus Wortham if I were you. They have a good amount of afternoon tee times available both tomorrow and Thursday. If you can’t get to Gus and don’t want to travel to Moody Gardens, then it looks like Battleground in Deer Park is your best bet. There’s also Bay Forest, but I’ve never played there, so I can’t tell you anything about it. The better courses down south are private (Bay Oaks and Magnolia Creek). Good luck!

1 Like

Yeah, if you can play Gus, play Gus. It’s awesome.

Y’all were right the other night too. I stayed up until midnight on Friday night to try to get a tee time this Saturday morning. 12:00am hits, the page refreshes, I hit 8:10, I get a popup “this tee time is no longer available”, the page refreshes again and every tee time from 7:50 through 11:40 was gone. In 10 seconds.

So we’ll be playing Hermann Park on Saturday morning.

5 Likes

That’s a bummer man. Sorry to hear that.

But–the good news is that you’ll still be playing golf with your brother on his big day. Congrats to him and I hope y’all have a blast. Just make sure he gets to the church on time! Haha

1 Like