Roll Call - GB & IRE

Hey, Ireland folks, heading your way tomorrow (arrive Saturday) for the Coyne Cup in Dublin! I’ll have a little free time during the day Monday & Wednesday, and then most of the evenings are free if anyone wants to meet up. Cheers!

4 Likes

I’m going the other way on Sunday and heading to the Pacific Northwest, but I’m sure some of the boys at Portmarnock, The Island, Baltray and the K Club will be up for saying hello when you’re there.

4 Likes

Hey - new to the NLU world and just getting back into golf having had a few years moving down to London and leaving the clubs at my parents, would love the opportunity to join some meetups and get some rounds in! Is the RACDG be the best way to get involved?

3 Likes

Hello fellow NLU fans! My name is Jackson and I’m moving to London for a sports journalism MA program this coming year. Flight out of North Carolina is September 7 and I cannot wait.

I’m looking for any London golf recommendations and would love to meet some of you all. Would love to hear where are the best courses, and best deals around the city. Lay it all on me!

2 Likes

I currently live in Charlotte & am moving to Edinburgh around that same time. If you ever want to make the journey north & play some golf, you’ve got a place to stay anytime you want!

2 Likes

London is one of the best cities to play golf in the world, if not the best:

(1) almost all of the clubs/courses (some of which of the best in the World) are broadly accessible to the general public;

(2) the Surrey / Berkshire “Heathland” region has Sandy/loamy soil perfect for inland courses. The first great non-links golf courses were built in this region;

(3) the good clubs are all pretty close together some nearly abutting one another; and

(4) the nearest links courses (Hayling Island, Littlestone, Rye, Princes, Royal Cinque Ports) are less than 2 hrs away and most are accessible by train.

Check out the London Golf topics for loads of info on the best courses, but I’d say that the best are: Sunningdale (Old and New), Swinley Forest, Berkshire (blue and red), St George’s Hill (blue and red) and West Sussex. This is the top tier there are many other course (about 30) that are all nearly as good.

Be wary though, the vast majority of courses around London North of the Thames are built on clay and are absolutely awful in autumn and winter.

Oh and @Wabinez get this man into the RACDG chats.

3 Likes

DM me your mobile number (and a name) and I can get you added to our regional chats where you will never be short of a game :+1:t2:

3 Likes

Hey James. Looking forward to meeting you and hanging out when you get over. There are a lot of RACDG events in Scotland next year as the captain, Gary, is in Glasgow. Big meet up in St Andrew’s in April. The annual champs in October in Ayr. Plus Close House near Newcastle. Got a bunch of members in Edinburgh and in Fife to get out regularly too.

5 Likes

Doing a Scotland trip next year. Askernish, Skye, western islands, north coast 500, Highlands etc.

2 Likes

Dornoch has a new booking system so the book isn’t open yet for 2023, FYI.

1 Like

Yes — was gonna book there first and work backwards since its the toughest get but no luck yet.

1 Like

Looking for a little help on an upcoming work trip. Flying into LHR on 8/10 and will be between London and Birmingham until the 19th. Then will be in Dublin til 8/28. Any and all recommendations welcome. Only time I will for sure be playing is 8/19-8/22 I have off in Dublin. I’m also lefty and wont be able to fly with my clubs. So may be stuck to a place with rentals.

Would love to meet up with some people while I’m over and thanks in advance!

You want Dublin courses?

Get down with the brown

Yeah most likely won’t be able to make it anywhere other than Dublin.

1 Like

Portmarnock
Portmarnock Links
County Louth
The Island
Royal Dublin
European Club

2 Likes

Confirmed flying with daughter into LHR on 9/19, will be in Brighton from 9/19 until 9/25. Headed back to hotel next to LHR on 25th and fly out next day. Daughter will be in orientation 9/20-9/23 so I should be free then. Will try to hit up some of the recs you guys gave me earlier in thread. If anyone is down that way let me know. Also, would be happy to get on WhatsApp thread since she will be there for next three years.

2 Likes

“A golf course near New Romney”?! The cheek of it. That’s the lovely Littlestone.

Bet it’s fucking feisty at the minute.

5 Likes

Hey guys, been a long time listener of the pod and trying to play as much golf as possible this year. Member at Manchester Golf Club for the last 5 years but a Hampshire lad originally. Always happy to host and keen to get involved in any events / rounds that are happening.
Cheers,
Alex

6 Likes

Hey Alex.

@Wabinez I’m sure can get you into the RACDG chats. there are a few of us up round Manchester and I’ll be there myself working from next week til November.

1 Like