Roll Call - GB & IRE

on Skye itself I’ve eaten at the three chimney’s and loch bay in stein and both are excellent if you’re after a fine dining experience. a walk out to neist point lighthouse if you head upto the three chimney’s is must.

the Isle of Skye is the best place.

1 Like

Heard a lot of great things about Three Chimneys but they’re all booked up. We’ve got reservations at Scorrybreac in Portree and Kinloch Lodge

1 Like

Hey all,

Heading home to Ireland in August/September for the first time in 3 years and planning to get over to Cambridge to visit my brother while there, he’s expecting his first kid early August but his wife has somehow given him the green light to play 1 round of golf with me. Seeing as we can’t venture too far I was hoping to bring him out to Sunningdale for a round but just noticed it says on their site they’re fully booked through till October. I’m planning to reach out to the club to see if there’s a way to join a cancellation list. I’m wondering has anyone had experience with or heard of people getting on to play in this way or how common it might be? Would probably be either last week of August or first week of September that I’d be there.

If Sunningdale is unfortunately out of the question, what should be next on the priority list in that area of heathland courses? Any additional advice would be greatly appreciated too as I may play a couple of extra rounds myself while there and would be love if any nesticles wanted to play as well :grin:

3 Likes

Swinley Forest
Berkshire
St Georges Hill
Walton Heath
New Zealand

a liitle longer drive
West Sussex
Royal Ashdown Forest

2 Likes

Greetings from across the pond, looking for some local knowledge. My wife and I are headed to Edinburgh and Dublin for a few days in Oct. What are thr chances of the weather being good enough to golf? And if so what are the top public tracks that you would recommend near those cities (not over €150/rd)? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/ireland-trip-recommendations/9976

Hey @pkeys07 jump in the Ireland recommendations thread. Might be a lot to catch up on but almost all bases covered and many there to answer anything else you might have.

So my daughter got her IB test scores today, and should be getting official acceptance to Brighton soon. Accordingly, I will be spending some time there in the next few years, beginning late September, somewhere around the 18th-26th. Up in the air, but hope to get away for a day to play. I see East Brighton, Hollingbury Park, and Brighton and Hove nearby. Any recommendations? Hopefully I can meet a few of you over the next few years (in all honesty it may be longer as she would live to move there permanently).

1 Like

West Sussex and Rye are both within easy striking distance of Brighton and are perfect examples of Heathland and Links golf

1 Like

These are two of the best courses in the U.K and if you’re down in Brighton they are the best choices.

1 Like

Have a few RACDG members who have played East Brighton who say it’s really fun. Downland course on a hill overlooking the sea. Windy usually.

There are a LOT of very average parkland courses in the U.K. so you’ll not be short of somewhere to play casually, but you’ll have to go further afield to find somewhere nice.

Rye & West Sussex, as Chris & Mark suggested. There’s also Royal Ashdown not too far away, as is Stoneham. Goodwood is a fun track. The Downs one, not the other one.

But you’re very close in Brighton to the Surrey sand belt - Walton, Sunningdale, Berkshire, St George’s Hill, the Ws.

If you’re going to be over regularly let us know if you want into the RACDG South East WhatsApp chat. Help to find a game. And maybe arrange trips around our big comps. There’s actually one at the end of September.

1 Like

Thanks, that is a big help. Won’t have a car this time, so that may limit my golf options. And I would love to be added to the WhatsApp. Not sure how often we will come over, but even if I can join you guys once it would be worth it.

2 Likes

Hi
I’m going for a 3 week road trip in the south of England (from Kent to Devon) in august.
I’m French and i’ve never played in that region so i was looking for some tips to find some good not to expensive / not to private courses in the area (still a student).
Thanks for the help !

North Foreland GC near Broadstairs comes to mind.

1 Like

Princes is not too expensive
Has stay and play options
Three nines
But literally dozens of other choices on that route

I loved Hayling Golf Club on Hayling Island, I was just in town for a day and they set me up with a bag and 3 amazing playing partners!

From Dover:

Littlestone (amazing little known links)
Rye * (hard to get on)
East Brighton
Littlehampton
Goodwood (Downs over Park)
Hayling island (must play - sensational back 9)
Stoneham*
Bramshaw (Forest not the Manor)
Barton-On-Sea
Parkstone*
Broadstone*
Isle of Purbeck
East Devon

• are seriously top end clubs which are sublimely good but cost accordingly. The others are more reasonable and super fun.
2 Likes

Rye is stupendous.

It is but they’re not great with casual rounds by visitors. Only specific times and days so generally needs planning far out.

Littlestone won’t disappoint though. The back 9 gets better and better to a strong finish.

And Parkstone is the prettiest golf course in the world. This is the view of the 1st from the clubhouse terrace… :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

Throwing in my two penneth for Hayling island as well, the back 9 is just utterly ridiculous and a must play

1 Like

I had no problem booking Rye as a one ball in 2020.

But booking in England can be tricky: Emailed a course in England. One person wrote back and said “call the pro shop”. Second person wrote back and said “email us one week before your desired date.” A third person wrote back and said “I can take your booking right now.”

Good system. Its 2022.

2 Likes