Roll Call - GB & IRE

At this rate the entire West Hill membership is going to be RACDG members…

1 Like

Cultured club you see!

3 Likes

Whats the best golf club to join near London as an overseas member?

Sunningdale

5 Likes

Depends what you want it for. A place to come visit for a golf trip a couple of times a year is different to somewhere you want to nip out and grab 18 after you’ve been working in the city all day.

Somewhere like Royal Cinque Ports, West Sussex or Hankley Common would be great as holiday homes. But you can’t get to them very quickly. Sunningdale, The Addington or Woking would be better as they are close to train stations with easy reach from town.

Caveat: none of these places will currently let you in. The membership has gone crazy since Covid lockdowns.

1 Like

Golf trip. Got three days I can play with. Use them for : (a) Ireland — Dublin area; (b) Isle of Man; or (c) Scotland — Ayrshire.

Hey,

Apologies for the late reply! Would love to join the RACDG if still possible!

4 Likes

Hi all - just joined and keen to get involved for golf/beers etc. Member at Highgate in London and playing as much golf as work lets me, mainly around the London area but also keen to travel around a bit more over the summer ….

1 Like

Morning all - SW Londoner here, currently a member at Malden but play a lot of Surrey golf. The Roost content has pushed me here to ask if there’s a chance I could get involved in any rounds/comps/meet-ups? Would be fantastic to go launch em with other NLU enthusiasts.

2 Likes

messages sent!

2 Likes

Hi, I’m now living back in S Wales, if you’re ever looking for some company around RP then I’d be very keen to join you. I’m a member at a small club just outside Cardiff and happy to host you there as well.

2 Likes

East London living. Not currently a member anywhere but an indoor spot to practice (good for the winter). Would love to join the roost & go to any meetups and meet some more of St. Rappeo’s disciples.

@Wabinez

3 Likes

Hi all,

Feel free to redirect me if this isn’t the right place…my fiance and I are heading to Scotland in July for vacation. We’ll be in Edinburgh for 3 nights and then driving up north to Isle of Skye and Portree to hike for a few days. Does anyone have any non-golf recommendations for restaurants or must-see sights in either of those places?

Ohhh, @bert now you’re speaking my language. Love the Highlands.

Assume you’re driving so…

1. Don’t drive past Plockton, a cute little village on the mainland side just by the bridge to Skye. Seal trips, good restaurants / pubs, gorgeous scenery. The road trip from there to Applecross is worth doing too. There’s a hotel just outside town called Duncraig Castle which is perfect honeymoon material -

https://duncraigcastle.co.uk/

1. There’s an otter spotting place down toward Ardvasar, if you’re into that.

2. The mountain hiking is great around the south of Skye with a bunch of Munro’s. You e probably researched this but the Cuillin is a range of pretty intense hikes, some of which are technical climbs. The Glamaig area are more scree slopes and fun too.

3. The Old Schoolhouse Restaurant in Dunvegan is the fucking nuts. One of the top 3 steaks I’ve ever had (other two were a restaurant in Cape Town and Saltys in Santa Barbara).

4. Portree is adorable. Just expect to hang out there. Usually live music in one of the bars every night.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks for all the info. Yeah we are driving. I’m a bit nervous about driving on the left side but everything I’ve read says that it’s a much better experience to drive yourself than take a bus tour up there.

1 Like

@The_Cad_Says has it pretty nailed on but an additional few from me:

1. Assuming you are driving from Edinburgh and have time on your side, really savour it. Skirting the edges of the Cairngorms will give you amazing views on the A9 but (if you can afford the time) it’s definitely worth re-routing around Mallaig/Arisaig for a couple hours for some stunning coast too.

2. If it is your kinda thing, you’ll be spoilt for fresh seafood throughout the towns. Plus there are a few pretty upmarket restaurants dotted about the place if you can plan hikes alongside them, a good reference being: 10 Best Restaurants On The Isle of Skye | Lesley Somewhere

3. Say hello to the Old Man of Storr for me, dead obvious but well worth a visit.

4. Expect mosquitos and accept that you are merely a visitor in their kingdom.

Feel free to message me on here if you get stuck at all with Edinburgh recommendations, I have family there but reckon you’d get a pretty good idea of the best places online.

1 Like

Christ yeah, midge season. Enjoy! :grimacing:

Getting to grips with all of this, but living in Ireland, near Dublin :wave:

3 Likes

Welcome.

We got an Ireland RACDG group if you want to get involved. Lots of chat and getting out together to play. You may need to redo your current credit agreements though. It gets expensive in the Flock!

3 Likes

Excellent, thank you @The_Cad_Says! Can you send me the details?

2 Likes