Roll Call: Eastern PA/ South NJ

I’m in Glassboro (Rowan University) don’t belong to any clubs but always looking to play. Faves are Running Deer, Scotland Run, Riverwinds (cant justify the high price tag on that place) but I’ll play anywhere.

I just looked up Kennet, looks interesting! Didn’t realize Ross had his hand in that one.

My dad picked up the game in his mid 50s, and finds great enjoyment. I think you’ll be surprised how good you can get, especially with access to good facilities for practice.

Yeah, apparently it was a 9 hole course when it was created (the Ross part) and then turned into 18 a few years later I believe. It’s a classic Ross design though with false front greens and the greens themselves literally protecting the course. I obviously can’t verify it but the greens are apparently as fast and true as the area has to offer. The track itself is pretty wide open and fun to play for hacks like me and scratch players alike.

1 Like

I love a good green complex. I played my first Ross course this summer, (Country Club of York) and got completely ejected.

It’s crazy the depth of golf in the main-line Philly area.

The depth is just absurd the amount of tracks that just get no attention and are tied to big names

2 Likes

Thinking about next season - currently living downtown without a car, loving the fact I don’t have to pay for any of that stuff, but missing the ability to play golf whenever I want.

Worth sticking around downtown and sucking it up, moving to suburbs, or trying DC?

Join a club where you can leave your gear there. If you enjoy city life keep it up. It’s easy enough to Uber back and forth these days.

I was just talking to a guy (friend of my nephew) who recently graduated from college and is currently living and working in center city. He doesn’t have a car and he plays a ton of golf- so what’s his secret?

https://www.balagolfclub.com

Says right on their website: “from center city to the first tee in 12 minutes”. I know he mentioned storing his clubs there and some combination of Septa and Uber that does the trick for him.

I haven’t played there more than 20 years, but I remember liking it a lot.

Sounds ideal for a young professional who wants the city life. No idea how affordable that place is though.

I had the chance to play Aronimink last year
about a month before the BMW (I have to think it was around the same time as Soly and Tron as all the stands were up when i played). You should definitely get out there if you can. Really fun track.

I’m going there tonight…for our work holiday party lol. Not the same but it’ll do I suppose for now.

Never heard of Bala Golf Club but after gathering some intel it is going on my list of courses to check out in 2020. One thing that really stood out was the logo:

Maybe its me, but slightly resembles the Philly Cricket’s? Wonder if there was any drama about that.

1 Like

Sunday bag for the arrows. Interesting.

1 Like

Hey guys–new to this thread and the refuge. I live in Phoenixville and am a member at Chester Valley in Malvern. I work for the Golf Association of Philadelphia (GAP) and do a pretty good job of getting around to all the GAP courses. I look forward to talking golf with this group.

8 Likes

Ahh Phoenixville! Thats where i grew up- couple hidden gems in the area

1 Like

Welcome!
Just starting to dip my toe into GAP, but from what I can see you guys run a great program.

The entire great Philly area is pretty damn special

Thanks. We do some awesome stuff and really do our best for the golf community as a whole. Really trying to expand our offerings this year and be as inclusive as possible.

2 Likes

im a member a Bellewood in Pottstown. I’m currently working on my game with the academy instructor at River Crest. Never played your course but looks great. Maybe this year in GAP.

CV is a great course. One of my favs in the section. You guys to a good job with GAP. Signed up for some tournaments outside of the challenge matches This year. Didn’t get a chance to participate bc of kids schedules changing but looking forward to this year.