Roll Call: Eastern PA/ South NJ

Last minute update; teeing off at 10 and then likely doing a second loop at 1…

Figure small change on short notice but wanted to throw out there

I agree with most people saying that Glen Mills is the best public course in the area. Some others to check out are Raven’s Claw and Lederach. I live near Makefield Highland’s and it could be a great links style track if they took care of it better and wasn’t so overpriced.

1 Like

Lederach is definitely a spot I’m trying to get to this year. Not sure if people are aware of it, but www.golfadelphia.com is an awesome resource for courses in the Philly area with really informative overviews and pictures of many of the notable public and private courses.

1 Like

Philly area golfers: Is anyone planning to go to the Crump Cup at Pine Valley this Sunday? I have never attended, but may go this year. Here are the details.

Any life in this thread? I’m a member at a private club in Phoenixville (Rivercrest). Would love to do some reciprocals with other locals next year.

Burlington NJ here but originally from Royersford and my dad still lives out that way so we get out there every now and then. I’d be down (I’m a member we here at burlington).

I just joined the Refuge after seeing The Nest video on youtube. I am a Manufacturers’ CC member and looking to get out more than I ever have this upcoming Spring & Summer. Always down for any kind of outing.

3 Likes

Welcome, happy to have you here would recommend checking out this RACDG thread and if you DM me your information I can get you added to our whats app chat. We will have several outings and meetups next year.

Mannies is a great course, such a hidden gem club in the Philly area. Flynn did such a great job routing the course

2 Likes

For the life of me I cannot figure out how to add my info to that google doc, is it locked or something or am I a moron?

it should open to modify. I know it doesnt play to well if your accessing it via mobile sometimes. What chapter would you be in?

northeast, i live in Philly. Makes sense cause im trying to access on my phone

1 Like

DM me your info i’m the Captain for the Chapter and can get you added to everything

New member here at the refuge. I’m a member of Kennett Square CC and have played at Little Mill CC in Marlton a bunch as my coworker belongs there. A few of my coworkers belong to Aronimink and another at Huntington Valley so I plan to hit a few more GAP courses next year. Been playing for almost 2 years now so I’m nothing special, I just enjoy the game.

4 Likes

Great to have you @vonbonds!
I’m out in Lancaster, so a bit more toward Central PA, but I get down that way fairly often.
It’s nice to have a Aronimink connection, have you had the chance to play?
I am playing in the GAP matches this year for the first time, looking forward to it.

1 Like

GAP Matches are so fun I’ve played in them the last three years and have always enjoyed it

1 Like

How many matches do you play per year?

I’ve played in all 3 matches each year I’ve participated. I usually do Away/Home/Away as my setup or will tweak that slightly depending on the Away courses

Nice. I am only doing 2 this year, since one of them falls on my Scotland trip.
Looking forward to it.
How does scheduling work? How are the courses determined?

yeah they are really fun and a great way to travel and play different courses. Everyone i have ever played against has always been super nice and accommodating.

The matches are on Sundays usually the last two weeks of April and first week of May. Easter really threw off scheduling last year though. This year the dates are April 19 & 26th and May 3. How the courses are determined appears straight forward at first but then becomes more convoluted then calculating Fed Ex cup rankings. Simplest way is your supposed to move up or down corresponding brackets determined by the teams play the previous season. Win you bracket, win the playoff and you take that teams spot in that bracket. What gets crazy is they have this rule that can override the brackets based on “locale” that they use to keep some of the better courses together usually in the top tiers and keep some teams from having to travel from say Scranton to Lancaster. Thing is they dont always use it fairly and sometimes the "locale’ makes zero sense.

I’m probably good enough to play Aronimink next season. I started as a 36 and am down to a 24.1 index. If I had another month I think I could’ve gotten down to 20 this year but alas our season is over.

I’m sure I’ll play both Aronimink and Huntington Valley next year. All of my buddies love my track at Kennett as the greens are crazy fast and run true. It’s the only feature that protects our course as it’s not a long one at all being ~6,400 yards from the tips. I usually play it from the blues at ~6,100 yards.

I’m 48 and wish I picked up golf younger, I figure getting to the mid teens is where I’ll cap out skill wise but I’m pushing for better!

1 Like