Roll Call: Eastern PA/ South NJ

My biggest gripe with it, which holds true for pretty much every Jaws course, is what you get for the cost. It’s not a horrible golf course and as @bri.newell mentioned the practice amenities are actually pretty solid. The course just typically isn’t in great shape and doesn’t inspire much from a design standpoint. That being said you can still certainly have a good time and play well there, I just look elsewhere for better value more often than not.

3 Likes

Oh yeah the cost for VB and every Jaws course is out of control. That can be said for any South Jersey course right now. I will say the condition of the greens this year has been excellent. Super soft this morning from all the rain this weekend but they have been firm and fairly fast up until now.

2 Likes

I love Galen Hall, the value is pretty hard to beat. Classic course with suburb greens with real subtlety. The locals are pretty fortunate to have that course for those rates in their backyard.

It’s an 80 minute drive for me but totally worth it. So is Reading CC, which is pretty close to Galen Hall. Those two back-to-back is a great day of golf.

2 Likes

Reading is 6162 from the back tees, and it is the longest 6100 yards you’ll ever play in your life.
Both par 3s on the front 9 are nutso, with the 8th playing at 183, but the wind is always in to you and plays more like 200+

2 Likes

Edit: annnd we are filled!!! (If anyone has any questions though about GG membership around the Philly area though, just let me know).

Any ladies (or maybe your wives) wanna join us for some Grueter Golf fun down in A.C. this weekend?

We had a last minute cancellation and have 1 spot open now for a weekend of golf at Seaview and dinner/gambling at the Borgata!

Grueter events are hella fun and relaxed. Great group of gals on this trip. Room would be a shared room with my friend Cheryl :slight_smile:

More info here: GGLC Exclusive: Golf & Gambling in Atlantic City — Grueter Golf

Dm me for more details or if you or any women you know would be interested!!!

1 Like

I played Reading CC last week and thought the same thing. Most of the par 4’s were bully-able but the 3’s were a real challenge. Just pulling the right club with the elevation changes on #’s 6, 8, & 15 is really tough. Those are great holes.

That clubhouse is amazing too. If they could clear trees on the course the views and playability would be outrageous.

Cool classic course, great value, nice people working there. Everything that we’re missing closer to Philly (Jeffersonville excepted).

4 Likes

I am playing at Bellewood with a friend/member on Saturday and then Galen Hall on Sunday. Really looking forward to both!

2 Likes

Hey @JHC what did you think of Valleybrook?

Ooof- ended up having to cancel last minute due to work… but the location is so convenient so I will be giving it another attempt in a week or so! I’ll holler at you here, maybe we can link up!

I tend to hear the criticism echoed here on the RonJaw courses a lot… but I’ll give it shot nonetheless! I will say I that I did not enjoy Ramblewood when I played there last season for the reasons given here (condition, generally uninteresting design vs price).

Ah bummer. Yeah let me know. I’m usually out early saturdays and some sundays. Can make a weekday work here and there as well.

All the Jaws criticism is totally fair. I think VB is a little more interesting hole wise than Ramblewood and the general vibe is more fun.

Echoing all the love for Galen Hall on this thread. Played there a few weeks back as a part of @samba24 ’s send-off. Cool history, unique layout, can’t wait to go around it again one day. Best advise I got after the round was “all putts break with the mountain.” The moat hole claimed us all.

Also played a quick 9 today at Pennsauken CC… wasn’t really on my radar, until Nate from our group at the Steeplechase mentioned it as his regular track. Straightforward but some tricky elevation changes and narrow fairways. 8 was pretty cool with the rectangular green, tee shot going right at the Haddonfield road. Anyone else play there?

3 Likes

Been wanting to - did you just walk up and get on pretty easily in the afternoon?

1 Like

Used to play pennsauken pretty regularly before joining Burlington.

Played there last year and it was in way better shape then I had remembered from before.

1 Like

@yungloudancolin we booked a time online, but there were plenty of doubles and saw one single out there!

@ChickPhilA nice! Yeah, conditions were great today. Good vibes too, a league playing ahead of us and everyone seemed to be having a good time out there-

1 Like

It’s my home course in the sense that it’s affordable and near my house. Is it the Augusta of the Mid-Atlantic? No. Is it fun and in reasonably good condition? Yes. Haven’t not enjoyed a round there.

2 Likes

Cross posting this with the Philly thread

Two spots available at Jeffersonville this Sunday at 9:50am - let me know if you want to join me and @the.marc.christopher :metal:

1 Like

Cross posting this with the Philly thread

Two spots available at Jeffersonville this Sunday at 9:50am - let me know if you want to join me and @the.marc.christopher :metal:

Bump!!! Weekend morning tee times are hard to come by at J’Ville - jump in!!!

1 Like

I too live in Exton. At Whitford CC. Let’s connect and play after RC.

1 Like

Nice. I’m up at bellewood. I toyed with the idea of joining Whitford this year. It’s a mile from my house. Yea let’s play some time.

Nice we should get you out for a round. When can you play (weeknights/weekends)?