Roll Call: Eastern PA/ South NJ

Saying hello to my fellow Philly/NJ area golfers. New to the refuge. Live in Bucks County and I’m a member at LuLu Country Club in Glenside, PA.

5 Likes

Welcome Matt! I got to play LuLu last month and loved it. Think I am going to jump on the waitlist for membership.

4 Likes

Thanks! The course has really been in great shape. Been a member for two years but have been playing it for longer than that. I can honestly say, this is probably the best season we’ve had in a while. The super and his team are great! Bunkers are set to be completely renovated this fall as well, very exciting. Hop on the list, it really is a great place to be!

2 Likes

That’s awesome - the bunkers were my biggest gripe so super exciting to hear there are plans to reno them!

2 Likes

Trust me, you’re not alone there.

Thanks for dropping in @mattmetz4 . I got to play LuLu at a GAP event earlier this year and I loved it as well. I had played it back during when they were building the new clubhouse but played it out of order and with all the construction going on. How do you find the drive from Bucks County? I’m in Bucks as well and always thought the commute might be prohibitive but it sounds like I’m wrong.

2 Likes

Hey Zach! I’m in Chalfont and my drive is no more than 20 or so mins to the course. I work at PSU Abington so it’s great having the course so close. Perfect for a trip to the range, simulator or a few holes after work.

That makes sense you’re a lot further west than me, I’m in the Yardley area. Yardley CC is doing their bunkers this fall as well, seems like it’s high on a lot of clubs’ lists since they were the first thing to suffer during the early COVID adjustments.

How is pace of play on weekday evenings usually? @tenthousanddays and I played on a Monday afternoon ~ 3pm and didn’t wait on a shot so we were thrilled. Also curious if it’s tough to get a weekend morning tee time or game with the membership being capped out right now.

The bunkers have needed some tlc for a bit and with the course in nice shape, money can now be spent on the next project. Really looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Weekdays are not bad at all. Some take advantage of the opportunity to walk but you can still buzz around pretty quick with a cart. Not a bad walk at all if you like to do that. Weekends are definitely busy.

Pace of play is still pretty good but you can get caught if you’re playing a later weekend round (1ishpm or later). If you don’t mind playing early, before 8:00 a.m., you can get a time a few days after those times open. If you want a prime spot, 8-10am, you’ll probably want to wake up early the day those times open. I may or may not be that guy :wink:

2 Likes

Hey all. I have a tee time at 11:40am on Sunday at the venerable Mountain View GC in beautiful Ewing, NJ I am trying to fill out. If anyone is looking to peg it, let me know.

Thanks a lot for the insight - didn’t mean to grill you right as you showed up!

I agree - it was a super easy and enjoyable walk. I can see myself wanting to buzz around to get as many holes as possible on some afternoons/evenings though. 8:00am or earlier is actually preferable for weekends to this all sounds really promising!

No worries! I’m always happy to talk about The Lu. I really love the place and the people there.

1 Like

Shockingly have not filled out tee time for Sunday at Mountain View.

2 handicap (I am a human ATM at this cap), never throw clubs, never give swing tips, and staunch proponent of ready set go golf.

Perks of Mountain View: no dress code, changing shoes in the lot is encouraged, very walkable, and a fun lay out.

1 Like

I can’t take any credit for this as I saw it in another refuge thread. But how great would it be to do a PA v. NJ series of tournaments in 2022? Maybe 4 to 5 stops throughout the year, different scoring set ups for each one. Each 4 some is 2 NJ v. 2 PA residents. Figure out some small prizes for each one or the end of year.

If this gets any traction, I am happy to help organize. Would be interested to hear people’s thoughts on it.

13 Likes

Love it. I’m in.

Waaaaay in on this

V in. NJ all day.

In. PA is the way.

1 Like