Roll Call: Eastern PA/ South NJ

Thanks! Definitely tracks with my understanding of the golf courses (though I have to say St. David’s looks gorgeous in @Golfadelphia’s pictures and is giving me some serious Philly Cricket Wissahickon vibes). Appreciate the insight on the hang rankings, though somewhat less important to me with a young kid at home…wife isn’t a huge fan of 4 hour rounds that become 7 hour hangs while she’s chasing the 1 year old around. :slight_smile:

And yes, RG is the clear top choice from a convenience perspective since I’ll be less than a mile from the course.

2 Likes

Hate that ACCC went fully private this year. Ballamor is an awesome course though

1 Like

Having played all of these courses many times. I co-sign @missingreens rankings (course & hang).

I’ll add two things. Rolling Green (RG) is a great test - Llanerch (LCC) is a little more forgiving (super easy walk) but still packs a punch 50 yards in. I use to consider RG head shoulders above LCC from a course design perspective, but post Brian Schneider’s renovation of LCC they have gotten a lot closer. I would still favor RG but both would be delights to call your home club. I believe RG has had Gil Hanse propose a master plan for RG so I would consider that in your due diligence in terms of potential future upgrades (positive) or future capital assessments (negative).

Re: Hang. Overbrook is the mainline booze fest / poker room with a great F&B staff. Llanerach is more of an Irish Catholic booze fest. Both great in their own right, but just wanted to add some context.

If home is springfield, I personally wouldn’t really consider St. Davids (I know a couple really good dude there) and it’s fine place to spend the day. But given the strong(er) other options in closer proximity it wouldn’t be high on my list personally. If extending in that distance; white manor might be an option and actually quicker to get to depending on where in springfield you’re coming from (quick drive route 1 by pass to providence road). I’ve been a member there for about 6 years (although I am on my way out — moved last year and in the process of joining a club closer to our new house). @JonCheddar If you wanted to connect more on white manor feel free to reach out via DM.

1 Like

Great additional color! I would say Overbrook is also pretty Irish Catholic

Do not ever play Mays Landing under any circumstances, the only reason to play Green Tree is to experience the Par 6 and because it’s dirt cheap - Twisted is the best public course at the shore. My buddy has worked there for forever - if you’re going then
shoot me a DM and I’ll help you out if you need to bring tequila or fireball out there.

2 Likes

X-Post from the Philly thread:

2 Likes

Wonderful recommendations everybody, we ended up going to Green Tree.

• Yes there is a par 6 holy moly.
  • we got drunk
  • we had a blast

We drove an RV down from Boston for the weekend and it was a hoot taking up 4 parking spots in the lot! Most of the 8 ppl who played do not golf more than a few times a year, if at all, so we played a scramble and they couldn’t have been happier. I looked like a hero for choosing the right spot but it was really all of you.

Thanks again everybody

2 Likes

5 spots open for this weeks Electric Phactory Roost outing

Tee time block starting at 1PM Sunday @ Inniscrone

1 Like

Looking forward to meeting folks at the Steeplechase next month. That’s the start of my family’s vacation, leaving Philly for Cape May on Sunday the 17th. I mayyyy be looking to play that week, but it’ll depend on family plans, baby nap schedules, etc.

That said, any thoughts on Cape May National? It’s of course the closest place, but if I’m not mistaken the better public golf is in AC. But, that may lead to being away from the fam too long. Of course, I’m always down for meeting up with some other Refugees to play if schedules line up. I’m the only golfer on the trip, so the company would be most welcomed.

Never played Cape May National, but Shore Gate is a gem not too far away

1 Like

Damn, that’s a nice looking course. Hadn’t heard of it before.

Shore Gate is not a hidden gem. Conditions have deteriorated over the past few seasons. It’s a very tough course but there are much better options in the AC area such as Ballamor & Twisted Dunes.

1 Like

Anyone headed to the BMW next weekend in Wilmington?
Also, any recommendations for restaurants/things to do while in/around Wilmington?

1 Like

I think there are a few people headed down. Maybe @MikeRevak can be more of a help for recommendations.

1 Like

Longwood Gardens across the border is incredibly impressive. Blue Rocks is a fun minor league venue. Easy drive to Philly to do the touristy things. Grab a pizza at Grotto. Not that it is great - but is a tradition. For an old school burger joint, the Charcoal Pit is a great classic

4 Likes

Very sad to be missing this. I had the choice of building either this week or the steeplechase back in July into our family vacation to the shore. Anyways, when I lived/worked in “Wilmo” my office was a block from the course. Brandywine brewing company will be the closest spot for a beer. Depending on where parking is set up you may be able to walk there. The food is nothing special from what I recall. But it was always a good hang.

If you like a good bar food lunch or dinner, highly recommend Kid Sheleen’s in Trolley Square. Just had lunch there in July for the first time in five years. And the food is still bangin. Esp the nachos and burgers.

2 Likes

This is the answer.

5 Likes

Longwood Gardens has their massive fountain show every Thursday through Sunday night at 9:15. Highly recommend spending a night taking it in.

5 Likes

@jmac12 also, setup shop through the holidays. The holiday setup at Longwood is something I never got to, but it’s supposed to be incredible.

2 Likes

I’ll co-sign everything said about Longwood Gardens, it’s definitely worth it.

And if you’re a baseball fan, a Blue Rocks game is a low key good time. The ballpark is great, it’s easy to get awesome seats, and they have decent beer/concessions for a small
minor league ballpark.

3 Likes