Roll Call: Eastern PA/ South NJ

Anyone inspired by Big Randy want to move into the golf biz?

Working for the GAP seems like a step in that direction…

2 Likes

Early planning feeler here. I will be at my in-laws in Lancaster, PA just after Christmas. Anyone want to catch a round if there is some unseasonably warm weather on 12/27?

1 Like

Would be happy to weather permitting.

I’ll pop back in here as it draws closer.

You would probably be better off hitting up the “Central PA” thread. For whatever reason that is where most people from the Lancaster area communicate. (Don’t ask me why… I am new here.)

Anyone played the Seaview Pines course in Galloway lately? Wondering if the condition of it has improved at all since my last visit a couple summers ago. I’ve got some designs on some winter golf in the AC area like the Philly big wigs of old.

1 Like

I played there in March—both courses. Bay was in a little better shape but I thought Pines was the much better course. I also thought Pines was much harder (Bay is kind of a pushover unless the wind is up). They were offering a pretty great rate to play both courses on the same day and I thought the value was pretty great. Not sure what the pricing is like right now.

2 Likes

Glad to hear that, I enjoyed the layout of the Pines as well but just felt the value wasn’t there with the condition it was in at the time. I will give it another shot since at least for the time being it looks like the bay course might be closed for the season.

Hearing you say the Bay is a pushover is triggering having gotten blown up there twice playing in the summer with the high fescue lurking everywhere :joy:

Yeah there’s trouble lurking there but Bay is pretty short so you rarely need driver and if you can keep it in the fairway there are birdies ready to be made.

1 Like

Are we an official roost?! Or is there another Pennsylvania New Jersey Delaware group? Electric company?

1 Like

Since there were multiple niche threads for the area, we consolidated to a Roost specific thread for the region. Welcome to the Electric Phactory!

2 Likes

Congrats gents! I christen thee, The Flying Wasp. May the winds be at our back and sun in our opponents eyes.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s nice to hear that we are official. Let’s do this, gang!

And as our first order of business I think we might have to consider banning @Randy for hurling The Battery Libel at us like some cheap 4th team Fox NFL color commentator. I expect better from the Big Guy than resorting to such lowest common denominator anti-Philly bashing.
Unacceptable.

2 Likes

Apparently St. Joe’s beat up whatever D2 OH bball program he roots for back in ‘87 and can’t let it go, or so I’m told.

Let us know if/when you’re going to need assistance (secretary, merch czar, HR, PR, legal, janitorial, graphic design, etc.). I’m sure we can pull some help together when you get going.

1 Like

Going to a Bachelor Party in AC in a month and the group (of mostly scramble golfers) are looking to play on the Saturday. Ya know, kill time, hit some shots, drink some beers type of round.

Perusing this thread coupled w/ follow up googling, I’ve come up with 3 choices so far:

1. Twisted Dunes - (is it really BYOB?!)
  2. Mays Landing
  3. Green Tree golf course

Any further recommendations? Strong points / opinions one way or another?

Feedback welcome!

I love twisted dune and yes it is byob!! No hard liquor. Cans only, 6 per person and can’t have a cooler larger than 15 qts.

1 Like

Never played Green Tree so can’t speak to that but I will say Twisted Dune is a tougher test than May’s Landing, especially if the wind is up. Really cool course though, doesn’t feel like NJ in a weird way. The BYOB is nice but we all know anywhere’s BYOB if you try hard enough. If the group gets pissed losing balls and shooting a million you may try May’s Landing but if they’re good with getting beat up a little and playing something a little different the Dune is your place. Right next door is McCullough’s Emerald Links though which is a really fun, open course that would suit what it sounds like your group wants well. Only negative for the Dune also is a friend of mine said it was in bad shape last year, no idea the veracity of that though.

1 Like

I’ve played and would recommend Twisted Dune and McCullough’s in that order. Both are great courses.

Scotland Run, Ballamor, and Atlantic City Country Club are all owned by the same group. I’ve only played the former, and it’s excellent, so I’m sure the other two (more exclusive) are even better.

1 Like

Any Overbrook / St. David’s / Llanerch members on here? I’m moving to Springfield in July and looking to join somewhere relatively close by (Rolling Green obviously is on my radar as well).

1 Like