Roll Call: East Tennessee

2 Spots Open for Sweetens - Tue 13th

Had two spots reserved at Sweetens for tomorrow (Tues 13th) but can’t make it up there. I’ve emailed them to let them know to released them and was confirmed.

So – if you’re into Sweetens tomorrow, might want to check the site or call them. Should have 2 spots open.

Hello, East TN

I just joined the refugee and am always looking for playing partners around the Knoxville area. I’m glad to see this thread fairly active!

6 Likes

Knoxville here as well, I spend most of my time at 3 Ridges.

2 Likes

Awesome Chuck, 3 Ridges ranks high on my list for Knoxville courses… Do you ever play the twilight rounds throughout the week (when we have enough sunlight)?

1 Like

I do quite often in the summer. Play more on weekends in the fall. I usually get out around 3 or so and sometimes they give me the rate and sometimes they don’t.

Welcome KingSpin. I’m more of a weekender myself but always looking for fellow golfers. DM me if you want to get together.

1 Like

Hey y’all

In Dayton,TN for 10 days. Played Bears Trace Harrison Bay And Dayton CC last trip. Any courses around Chat that I should play this weekend. Thanks!

Lake Tansi is not that far from Dayton. I played there yesterday and it’s an enjoyable course in good shape.

Brainerd is a solid muni here in Chattanooga. Nob North just south of Chattanooga is a favorite. Valleybrook in Hixson is also reasonably priced and pretty fun. All of those courses are around $40 for 18 with cart.

Thanks for suggestions, looks like a solid agenda!

Try McLemore its a bit more pricey but it’s a scenic and a fun course to play.

It has gone from being “a little pricey” to ridiculous. $175 weekdays, $225 weekends. I have a prepaid greens fee for one there that I’m struggling to use. Can’t find anyone who wants to spend the money to play there again.

dam it was 125 in May when I played.

Thanks to @Crowder for the suggestions! I ventured out to Brainerd Golf Course to enjoy the part of Chattanagooa Donald Ross crafted. The muni vibe was strong!!! I was paired with a Knoxville native so we had the UT vs LSU game on in the cart to pair with tasty brews. Loved the layout. The greens were quick, the air was crisp, and good times were had by all.

9 Likes

Headed over to Nob North today. This is the second Gary Player design I have played and was excited to see the massive rock featured. The 15th was my favorite hole. I was stoked to launch it over the trees and have a flick of a wedge chance for an eagle.

4 Likes

Glad you enjoyed the courses. That’s about as good as it gets for muni golf around here.

1 Like

Recently had a 16-player trip to the Crossville area so I thought I’d share a few thoughts for anyone heading that way.

We played Dorchester, Druid Hills, Heatherhurst Brae and Lake Tansi. In the past we’ve also played Stonehenge and HH Crag.

Fairfield Glade isn’t perfect by any means…it’s definitely no Pinehurst or similar. But for better or worse they are very used to managing large groups of players who are trying to get in as much golf as the weather will allow. We use Bertram Realty for booking our golf and lodging and they always make the process really easy.

A lot of the courses at Fairfield Glade are relatively short, tight and hilly. Druid Hills is probably the course where those elements are most common and it’s the one we enjoyed the least, though the back nine is stronger than the front.

By contrast Dorchester has a pretty traditional layout with several memorable holes. HH Brae is probably the favorite among our group in terms of layout and conditions.

We’d never played Lake Tansi before but we liked it a bunch. Good conditions and layout. Several notable par fives and only a couple of holes that could obviously be improved.

The limitations of our group make Crossville a pretty decent place to host an event. We have handicaps ranging from 4-5 up to 25+, so we’re usually looking for about 6,000 yards from the white tees to keep everyone in it. Budget is a big issue for a lot of the guys, and there’s a strong 1/3rd of the group that likes to stay up late drinking and playing poker so hotels are pretty much out of the question. Staying in the condos at Fairfield Glade works pretty well for us.

The other location that works really well for us is Springdale at Cold Mountain (south of Asheville). We’re planning to try Goose Pond Colony next year when they have all 36 holes back in action.

1 Like

I’m not an east Tennessee guy but I’ve got a good friend who lives in Farragut who I’m heading to visit next week. Looking for any interesting golf course ideas in the area?

We usually play Willow Creek as its right by his house and have played Dead Horse Lake, Egwani Farms, Island Pointe off the top of my head. Just looking for any suggestions from guys in the know!

I play Three Ridges a ton and like it.

2 Likes

Rarity Bay used to be a great place to play. Haven’t been there in years.

Hey folks! New member of the community but figured I’d come in hot and say I’ve got a 1:00 tee time out at Avalon (Knoxville/Lenoir City) on Saturday. The greens are the best they have been in years (redid them last year). It truly is a completely different course now that they have that sorted out. Not amazing by any stretch, but plenty of fun. HMU if you’re interested!

2 Likes