2 Likes

That is a good hole

For Chattanooga:

9 @ Brown Acres
18 @ Macklemore
7 @ Brainerd
Moccasin Bend

17 @ Willow Creek

9 at Wind River is a total joke. It’s pretty obvious they just ran out of room for a proper hole there. The tee shot is ridiculous.

I will disagree with you here. 17 is a little wacky but I like it. It demands you find the right tier and leaves little room for error on your second shot obviously. Most of the trouble off the tee is to the right, but taking that on gives you a much shorter shot, allowing you the luxury of a higher lofted club for your approach to that very elevated green. You do not want a mid-long iron in your hands at all cost here. You have a lot of room if you err left, but often times that gives you a much longer approach into the green, as well as a worse angle since the pin seems to always be on the left side of the green. I would even argue that 16 is a worse hole than 17.

1 Like

My issue with the hole is that I typically will have a wedge in but because the greens are always in such good shape (we like that) I can never keep my second from spinning off the front or skipping long. I’ve tried everything from sand wedge to knocking down a 9 iron. I guess I need to play it more to figure out the perfect club.

I love 16, such a challenging hole. Requires a great approach shot with typically a mid to long iron.

if the creek isnt there im fine with it, but as a finishing hole i do not like it

Hey, listen, you can’t be right about everything :slight_smile:

I don’t love not hitting driver there, but it’s a really cool approach and green for sure.

It just seems like the only way to get into a scorable position on that hole is going through the tree on the left. Otherwise you have exactly what you mentioned - a long iron into a green with no margin for error. Any ball that even thinks about going left is in the water. A ball that bails right leaves you with a treacherous up and down. I’ve gone back and forth about it being a worse hole than 17 now that I said it is worse lol. I suppose 16 is more of one of those Donald Ross Pinehurst #2 Major Championship type holes where he demands two specific shots for scorability.

Completely agree with #11 at Egwani. But I think #11 at three ridges is meant to test your mid iron game, which isn’t really tested on any other holes on that course besides #16. That being said, I have pure hatred for #17 at the highlands in Sevierville

Preach!!! I was about to respond until I read this. I disagree about 16 though.

If that tee was either twenty up or the creek was twenty back, it would be a great hole. I wish it made you pick to try and rip driver or lay back, but on a normal day it just takes a club out of your hands.

I agree with you guys to a point, I do. That hole may be a little weaker, but I don’t think it deserves to be in the WORST holes in Tennessee. I just think it’s an average hole.

1 Like

have you play McLemore post reno?

I have, and @mmckenney and I had this conversation a few days ago. I think the course is okay at best, but 18 absolutely stinks. It’s ridiculously hard to hold that fairway when it’s firm. Like a 50/50 shot at a lost ball.

it was pretty bad before the reno. I haven’t revisited since though. The funky par 5 on the front where you hit it like 230 off the tee then straight downhill is pretty bad too

That one sucks too. Honestly the first time I played the course, I hated it because I was trying to shoot a score.

The second time I let all that go and had a great time. There are some awesome holes out there and the vibe is cool.

1 Like

@chatty_colton I totally disagree with @tedscott here. I think he got unusual conditions because I absolutely love that hole where the best angle into the green is near the cliff. To be fair, he played it when he said he hit the fairway and the ball rolled off anyway. Had that happened to me I probably wouldn’t like it either. I guess I like those holes because they are so unique and the renovation only made that place so much better. For all the weirdness that the property gives them there are some really good holes up there. The hole I can’t stand is number four I think which is a blind tee shot par 4 where if you hit more than four iron it rolls into creek, and there is no warning sign.

4 is hard but it’s not unfair. I think it’s time to come to terms with the fact that we do not see eye-to-eye on most things architecture haha. I almost added 12 at Lookout to my list but I didn’t want to give you credit for that (actually pretty good) take.

1 Like