Roll Call: Connecticut

I played Oxford Greens for the first time. Decent course – got a good deal on Golf Now ($45 with cart). The one thing that was absurd were the bunkers – muddy, terrible, and full of rocks the size of golf balls. Couldn’t believe it. I dinged my brand new wedge off a hidden rock – extra annoying. I talked to the pro and apparently they were recently acquired and are going to be redoing the club house and all the bunkers on the course starting in October – much needed. Should be a pretty darn good track then. Hopefully they don’t jack up the prices further.

I played it for the first time a few weeks ago. Really thought the course was just ok. I played well too. Didn’t leave being blown away by the architecture like I thought I’d be. Had some interesting holes but I think it was a case of high expectations/reputation ruining some of it. Grass driving range was great though.

And yeah, the bunkers were atrocious. Embarrassingly bad. I played a $15 twelve hole dump of a course when i was visiting my in-laws a week later and the bunkers there were Augusta National compared to Oxford Greens. Really bad look. Have no plans on playing it anytime soon.

Heading to Keney today.

Anyone played Shuttle Meadow? I’m playing there next Friday.

caddied for a buddy back in 2002 for an am qualifier at Shuttle Meadow. he was near the lead until 15 (~240 yard par 3)…ejection. I think he carded an 8 to miss qualifying by 1. Didn’t listen to his caddie, because i’m a 15 index LOL.

Hacked away in the woods instead of taking an unplayable.

was it busy? hear it’s been getting a lot of play this summer.

hate to see it!

It was. We were there the Saturday following the ladies junior PGA so the course had been closed for a week. But the greens were beat up pretty good. So many ball marks. The pro said they had pushed them hard for the tournament and there were people out hand watering between holes in 90 degree heat. The jump from a super wet spring to a blazing hot summer didn’t do the course any favors. Still a ton of fun and I’d go play there before I’d go play a lot of courses in CT. Can’t beat $42 walking on a Saturday there.

yeah that’s not bad.

rockledge_shotgun

Is this a weird move?

I don’t get it? Like just a shotgun start to play golf on Saturday morning?

I guess so… Maybe an effort to jam even more people on the course on what is looking like one of the best Saturdays of the summer.

Quick question to the masses here. How do you actually get on/a tee time at Yale? Obviously I’m not affiliated with the school in anyway nor do I know any alumni I could call up to help get me on? Any help would be appreciated, been wanting to play it for few years now.

Is Hotchkiss walk up if you’re not a student or member? Didn’t look like you can book online but I might have missed it.

Yeah you can walk up pretty much any day any time.

2 Likes

Any reviews of Fox Hopyard from my woke brethren?

Really enjoy Fox Hopyard, fun course in good shape, elevation changes and very fast greens. Recommend a yardage book, couple times off the tee thought I hit good shots only to end up going thru the fairway.

1 Like

I’ve played with some guys who have played Yale a bunch. The one drops the name of a friend of his who is an Alumn, but he legitimately hasn’t spoken to that friend in 20 years (no falling out, just never kept in touch). The other guy told me you can basically show up as a single and get on. Especially during a weekday morning. If you can find a random Tuesday morning you should be ok. I haven’t tried that but he seemed pretty confident about it. It isn’t some ultra lux private country club so I’d be somewhat surprised at how strict they are when someone shows up with clubs and it isn’t very busy.

1 Like

Played 9 tonight at Fairview Farms. Course that I grew up playing but haven’t played in 2 years. It’s really amazing how far that course has come. They’ve done a really nice job with the conditioning and aesthetics of the course. The course was in great shape.

Curious about this too, I know a few alums but not close enough to call and ask for this type of favor.