Roll Call: Connecticut

It’s got some hills for sure buts it’s manageable especially if you’re a push cart mafia member. Played there twice so far it was pretty soaked last time out

Yeah I think every course is soaked right now lol

Hey man,

I’m from Newtown as well. Spent 5 years out in CO myself, but make it back to Newtown a few times a year to visit my family and play golf. There is some incredible golf in the area if you don’t mind driving 30-40 mins from home. What are you looking for in a round of golf - I can help steer you in the right direction.

Another CT guy here. Just had to call out 9 at Hotchkiss for being the worst hole on the face of the Earth. I honestly don’t think I can imagine a worse hole.

Fun, very interesting course. Don’t mean to come out of the gate so negative. But I’ve played it in a high school tourney the past four years except this one (injury) and it baffles me. I honestly think the smartest play on the second shot is to hit one in the lake.

Know this is one for the worst holes thread. Trust me, I’ll get it there. But since it’s mentioned…

Nice man! I’m not super picky. I like courses that set up for lots of options – that make you think about what type of shot you want to take. But I’m basically down for whatever.

Would love to hear more about the project you’re working on.

That actually made me LOL. Now I gotta check it out…

Give this a listen - I explain the vision for the project.

https://feedtheball.com/2019/04/05/episode-47-david-marcucilli/

Candlewood Valley in new milford is fun and always in good shape. Centennial in Brewster NY has 27 decent holes. Ridgefield golf club is pretty good, challenging. Those are the closest. My dad plays at Newtown CC, which I love- quirky and short, but fun as hell. Much better golf in the state than those options, but those are the closest and safest bets.

Awesome, I will check all of those out. My daughters school (SHS) had a auction fundraiser a few weeks back and I successfully bid (i.e. drunkenly overpaid for a good cause) on a 4-some at Whitney Farms. Looks like a decent enough track but I certainly didn’t get a deal on it in the end. Also start a league up at Lyman Orchards in Middlefield in a few weeks. Have heard good things.

Going to listen to that podcast now. Description alone sounds awesome. Would love to get involved.

1 Like

Whitney and Lyman are fine. Nothing special, the short course at Lyman is fun. If you’re traveling to Lyman regularly, you should consider just buying the annual pass at Yale. Best course in the state.

As you’ll hear on the pod, im not quite ready for community involvement. Hopefully more news in the next week or two. I’ll let you know when I’m ready to bring in the troops.

Do you have any additional information on this?

Unlimited and limited round membership info

http://thecourseatyale.org/2019-membership/non-yale-membership/

Pricier than I remember :disappointed:

15 round seems like a no brainer to do for at least 1 year. might have to be done. I park at Union Station in New Haven no less than 40 times a year. Might as well make 15 of those a golf day.

1 Like

Wanted to jump in here. I teach in Stamford and live in Norwalk. Play Oak Hills 30-50 times a year. Wonderful course with some of the best greens in Fairfield county and beyond. Cheap (relatively speaking) for a resident to walk and a typical Saturday/Sunday round rarely goes past 4.5 hours (at least in my experience).

Anyway if anyone is in the area and wants to play I’m up for whatever. Come summer I should be able to get out plenty.

1 Like

How is CT National in Putnam? Grabbed a Saturday morning time to walk 18. Not too far from where we currently are in Mass

Anyone in the 860 around to play Keney Park Thursday or Friday?

Hi everyone,

I’ll be in CT with enough time to squeeze in a round this Sunday. I’ll be driving from Stamford to the Waterbury area and could play in the late morning or early afternoon.

Thinking about playing Oxford Greens around 12:30. Would anyone here be interested in joining, or in suggesting another course?

Anyone ever played at Fox Hopyard in East Haddam?

I played it in October. I am far from a golf course architecture expert so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I enjoyed the course overall. There was a lot of variety from hole to hole. It was about 45 degrees and super windy so I would love to play it in more pleasant conditions.

It’s on our list to get to for a weekday trip before the end of the summer. That and National in Putnam.

Played Chippanee on Sunday with a couple friends. One buddy is a member there. I’ve probably played it 10 times since I was a teenager, everytime for charity scrambles. Wasn’t terribly impressed. Course was in fine condition, just don’t think it’s anything impressive for a full private course with a junior single membership of $2k. I don’t know I’d wanna play 40+ rounds there to make that worthwhile even if I had that kind of time.