Roll Call: Connecticut

Connecticut native here, coming home for a visit in a couple of weeks. Anybody familiar with the booking system for Yale? I see it only books 48hrs in advance for YGC guests. I also see that it shows zero tee times for the next 48hours. Do they sell out that quickly or am I missing something?

Also, as an East Haddam native heartbroken at Fox Hopyard going private, I am still looking for a member to accompany as guest. :wink:

It looks like Yale has their men’s and women’s fall tournaments right now, so the course is closed until the 26th. They do usually sell out quickly though, so whenever you figure out what day you want to play, check in the morning 2 days prior and you should be able to get something.

1 Like

Thanks for the intel!

I’d ask for some recent input from locals on conditions. I’m not a conditions snob, but……

I visited in late-June and the course was in pretty good shape. Some patchy spots on a few greens but nothing major. A buddy went a month ago and it had gotten a lot rougher due to the drought over the summer.

That’s a shame, but I’ve still gotta get out when I’m in the area… it’s a bucket list item for sure.

1 Like

Agree. It’s worth seeing in any condition. I was only giving you the warning if you’d played it a bunch before and condition may sway you.

1 Like

Played Yale yesterday and it was in “eh” shape, almost every green had some dead spots on it but it was just patches and they putted fine. I love that course and still think it’s worth the visit, but definitely don’t expect it to be pure

1 Like

As long as the greens roll fine… I would imagine the dead spots are around the edges?

I want to play it from an architectural standpoint, and as long as it’s playable, that’s all I ask.

Some of the dead spots are in the middle of greens, the 8th and 10th greens were particularly bad. Even putting through those spots wasn’t terrible and isn’t gonna put a damper on the round unless you’re a conditions snob (which it doesn’t seem like you are).

Another note is they shut down for the year on October 23rd, so not sure when you’re coming to CT but keep that in mind.

I’m looking at playing the 6th or 7th… thanks for the intel!

Yale has always had rough spots…just depends how many and how big they are depending on time of year. Assuming the upcoming redux will take care of that, but on no way does that detract from enjoying the GCA there. It’s a pretty special place for sure.