Roll Call: Connecticut

Long time lurker, first time poster. I’m Avon and don’t have a home track, but enjoy Wintonbury Hills the most in the Hartford area. Gillette Ridge has gotten its act together after closing a couple years ago however the pace of play can be an issue there since it’s a tough course.

In a similar boat as @Fluffhead on this chain with a young one and another on the way and time for golf will only get more limited once kid #2 arrives.

Always interested in teeing it up and excited for the golf season to begin.

Figured I’d get on this train as well. Just moved to
CT from Colorado and living in Newtown. Moved here in January so haven’t gotten out just yet but looking forward to exploring some of the local tracks. Would love some recommendations.

The pace of play at Gillette is ruining it for me. Kind of a bummer. Course was in AMAZING shape last year.

Looking for public courses where pace of play is not an issue. Anyone have anything? Also does anyone want to play soon? I’m in West Hartford but will travel.

Great shape yes but pace of play and the sheer amount of water hazards kill all the fun

Check out Simsbury Farms. Grew up playing that course and when it’s in good condition its a fun layout. Great bargain. Pace of play is rarely an issue, not going to find much better at a public.

1 Like

Grew up playing at SF as well. Playing Keney more lately just to mix it up but SF will always be home

I hear Keney is a blast… hoping to hit it soon!!!

Keney nails the vibe. It’s one of the few courses I really enjoy.

I hate CT golf. So much stuffiness. Horribly slow play everywhere. Glastonbury Hills is a 5+ hour round no matter what.

Why is it so bad here? Really bums me out.

Thanks for the tip, will put it on my list!!!

All depends on timing I guess. So far this season I haven’t had problems but come mid-may it’s a total slog pretty much everywhere

Down to play there whenever

Have you played there yet this year? Is it manageable to walk?

We play Tunxis most often on the weekends cause it’s central to the friends I typically play with. We’ll nab the the 6:30 time and scream around in 4 hours then grab an early slice at Naples. It’s the only time and course I find I can consistently get around that fast.

Hotchkiss during the week is dead and that’s a really nice little 9 hole Raynor. Problem you get there is sometimes kids will walk out onto the course and play a couple holes right from the dorms but it’s definitely way more my vibe than 95% of courses in the state.

Don’t mind Tunxis… I do think it is a little overpriced for what it is but you’ll pay that much basically anywhere at 6:30 on a weekend (let me know if you need a 4th sometime). Haven’t heard of Hotchkiss… might have to take a trip up that way.

looks reasonably priced too.

Check out Shennecosset in Groton, Fenwick in Old Saybrook and Great River in Milford.

Wintonbury Hills in Bloomfield is a must for anyone in the Farmington Valley

Wintonberry is definitely happening this year. Thanks for the other suggestions! Have not played anything near the coast yet.

Hotchkiss is a gem. Best 9 holer in CT