Roll Call: Connecticut

I live in WeHa so Rockledge is great, just doesn’t feel on the same page as the others, maybe Tunxis and Stanley?

Great call on the breweries, although Hogg River and City Steam are great too. Maybe have to add Parkville market and Gastropark to the list.

Love the input.

2 Likes

Also never done Lyman, I heard its great. Never heard of Blackledge, add it to the list!

I’d honestly play Keney twice and Wint once. Keney is a lot of fun. Got a bad taste in my mouth from Gillette, too many poor experiences.

Rockledge is a fun round as well.

I have played Gillette once, it’s a tale of two nines for sure, not great, not terrible. I would highly recommend Lyman Orchards Jones Course one of my favorites courses.

Maybe Manchester CC instead of GR? 1917, Dev Emmet and Bebdelow design, just 10 minutes from downtown. Great walk and some fun holes.

Hey @JMD12, I mostly play out of Wintonbury, and although it’s nice, it feels more C-suite than Strapped (if that’s what you’re looking for). One of my favorites in the area is TopStone in South Windsor, it’s scruffier in nature, while still usually in great condition. It’s exactly the type of course that the boys would play. I also prefer it over Gillette.

My favorite local brewery is Back East in Bloomfield, and they just opened up a new taproom/patio area. I’d also recommend Parkville Market in Hartford, a new food hall with tons of options. Definitely has major Strapped vibes.

1 Like

I love Lyman Orchards and I grew up playing there. The Jones Course can play long if it’s windy but the fairways are wide and forgiving. Lots of doglegs and big greens. The Player Course is shorter but a lot narrower.

1 Like

I find the player course to be a lot of blind shots and a bit like target golf. Jones to me is easy bogeys hard birdies, the back nine at Jones is some of my favorite golf.

1 Like

the player course is awful.

jones could be solid with some work and money, they did the GHO (travelers) monday qualifying there years ago

1 Like

i did zstrict for the first time a few weeks ago, found it really inaccurate and the out of bounds everywhere on the courses was excessive. trackman sims at golf lounge are better, especially since i live in fairfield and golf lounge is closer

hey man i actually live about the same distance, stratfield neighborhood fairfield. never played the wheel, im a member at new haven cc but could do something at fairchild or even golf lounge

Bumping this post in case anyone in the CT area wants to get involved with our group. We have 50 “members” and another 30ish guys who are part of the chat and play a lot together all around the tri-state area

Yes, I am in the Metro NYC Group. Looking forward to some outings this spring!

1 Like

Yale opening to CT residents on April 13th. Anyone up for a round on Friday April 16th? I can book the tee time for 4. Must be a CT resident to play.

4 Likes

August NIT Qualifier in MA

2 Likes

Coming down to CT next weekend to visit family and looking for a recommendation on where to play Sunday. Somewhere in between New Haven and Wallingford or within a reasonable distance.

That’s a tight little window. Idk what you’re looking for or willing to pay but Great River (West of New Haven) is usually in pretty good shape. If you have a CT license you can call up Yale. Otherwise most of the courses between New Haven and WallyWorld are private. Keney Park in the Hartford area is a blast. Awesome layout, not gonna kill you on price. Alling Memorial is another muni near New Haven, not always in great shape though

1 Like

Is Great River worth the $155 weekend rate? Never played it before.

Probably not, to be honest haha. It’s nice, I just wouldn’t pay that much for it but I play most of my golf for free (golf biz perks). My recommendation for public/muni is Keney. Ton of fun.

I was going to suggest Alling as well. I enjoyed the layout a lot, especially the back nine.

Tradition is also in the area I believe. I have heard ok things. Never played before though.