Roll Call: Central New York

What do you think of the RTJ Course at Cornell? Played it last year and was pretty dissappointed. The routing/design was good but the maintenance and upkeep was atrocious. Some of the worse bunker maintenance I’ve ever seen.

Cornell has really struggled the past 5-7 years with maintenance. I believe, they’ve been through a lot of Superintendents in that time frame.

I love the layout. I play it well. When it’s in good shape it’s a fabulous course. The bunkers have always been an issue, as well as, course drainage.

1 Like

Alright, take it easy, no need to brag lol

I was told the front 9 was RTJ graduate studies project, which, wow, what an insane thing for a college to do. Really liked that front 9… There’s the one par 3 on the back 9 that I just hated, maybe 12 or 13, I forget.

There are prelim talks of having a small meetup in Cooperstown later in the year to play Leatherstocking, so keep an eye out for that. I loved that course.

How about Mark Twain in corning? Ross course and thought about stopping there next time i have to go to pa

7 oaks is a strong course in Hamilton NY if you haven’t played it

1 Like

Yeah the course is in bad shape from what I’ve heard. I’d sooner go play RaNic (formerly private Ithaca CC) for the same price or pay $15 to play our local muni on the water.

Ive been meaning to find a reason to get out to Leatherstocking!

3 Likes

Definitely would recommend Trumansburg Golf Club. I am bias, but it’s the best bang for your buck in the region. Played there Monday and it’s already in great shape.

Wait, RaNic is open to the public? I thought it was still private.

Nope. Public. I’d love to play it this year. Joey Sindelar and his son, Jamie, own it and run it now.

I’d love to check it out. Heard decent things.

1 Like

Yeah, they just dropped their rates to $45 off season this year too.

Mark Twain is underrated. It’s usually in decent shape and the green complexes are some of the best you’ll find on a public course for less than $50.

1 Like

Played RTJ last year with a faculty member and was told that they were in the middle of redoing the bunkers when Covid hit and they cut the budget for the project half way through it. Supposedly they’re finishing it this year. I remember playing there a few times in highschool and it was never in as bad a shape as it is now

Couple things for this thread:

First, I host an Invitational Golf Tournament at Trumansburg Golf Club in just over a month (August 4-6). This is my ninth year directing the tournament and it has been a big success.

It is currently a 40-team (2-person teams) field and I have a 5-6 spots available. Here’s some details:

Schedule of Events:

Fri. Aug. 4th — Practice Round
*Tee Times must be made in the afternoon
**Players must pay for cart
***Optional 9-hole Skins Game (Typically, $400-500 pot)

Sat., Aug. 5th —- Round 1
Format: Captain & Mate
Tee Times: Start at 8:30 am
Food: Lunch served at the turn
Calcutta: Approximately 4:30 pm (accounts only for Sunday’s scores)

Sunday Aug. 6th — Round 2
Format: Best Ball
Food: Lunch served at the turn
Tee Times: Start at 8:30 am

Saturday and Sunday include $1,000 Skins Game each day. The field is flighted into Four Flights after Round 1. Cash payouts for Flight winners along with Nassaus and Closest To The Pins.

DM me if you’d like more information. If you’re traveling to Trumansburg for the weekend, let me know, I could recommend places to stay or maybe get you hooked up with an AirBnB.

(Note: There’s a bunch of golfers who are Nest members that play in this tournament. We have a good NLU following at Trumansburg Golf Club. Plenty of folks you can get to know and hang with.)

Second thing, I’ve been looking for a decent two-person and four-man tournaments in July or August. I like playing different courses and willing to pay a decent entry fee as long as the course is nice and there’s decent prizes.

Any help is appreciated!

Jared

Bump for the weekend.

This sounds awesome man! I’m headed to Maine for Lobster Fest otherwise, I’d very likely be interested

Is this a NLU event or open to the “public”? I have a buddy in Cortland that might be interested. I’ll be up there the next weekend but will miss out on this unfortunately.

Not an NLU event. It’s a tournament I’ve ran for almost 10 years now. It is open to the public, though we do have some stipulations.

You’re not eligible if: you do not have amaetur status; are a PGA Professional or a current Division I golfer. There’s golfers that range from low-single digit handicappers to golfers who have a hard time breaking 120. It’s a great crew. I like to added a few new teams here and there.

DM if you’d like more information.

2 Likes

Bumping this as I had a team backout last minute. I had a full field of 42 teams. If anyone wants to make the trek to Trumansburg, NY for a fun event let me know!

Hey all, first post on the travel forum. Looking for public courses on the weekend of September 30th around Albany NY, preferably close to downtown. I will also need access to rental clubs for 3, if anyone in that area knows if a golf course has any rentals please let me know.

Thanks

It’s pricey, but this is probably your best option. I’m not an Albany expert, but the city and surrounding area isn’t known for their golf scene, so your options are limited.

https://www.golfsaratoga.com/golf/index.html