Roll Call: British Columbia

Did you take your Whistler trip yet? Looking to put together a few days later this summer and curious about your experience

Did the Whistler trip 2 weeks ago, thanks for asking. Played NN, Whistler and Big Sky. Got absolutely drenched at Whistler but had good (a little windy) days at the other two. Not a lot happening up in Whistler/Pemberton this year with no US tourists and very few Albertans.

I had only played Big Sky once before, and it was in absolutely brutal condition (mightā€™ve been that they had flooding in the spring and I was there in late summer), but was really impressed with it this time. A fun variety of holes and tracing the ball flight with the mountain backdrop is so nice.

Whistler GC and NN Iā€™m a bit more familiar with, solid courses but Big Sky is my favourite of the 3 (and 4 if I include Chateau). Recommend you take a look at the golfers red book or whatever itā€™s called. Friend of mine had one and we got 4 rounds for the price of 3 at NN and 2 for 1ā€™s at Big Sky.

Definitely recommended considering the quality of courses and how insane it is getting tee times around the lower mainland these days!

Thanks!

Iā€™m looking to do a little get-away to the area (part of my goal to hammer out a top 100 course in Canada!)

Iā€™m definitely in on Big Sky and figuring out the others to add. Probably wonā€™t be NN since Iā€™m out on Nichlaus golf courses (just seem like a slog).

After playing in Vancouver Island area and Seattle area this year, Iā€™m really frustrated with Lower Mainland/Vancouver area golf! There isnā€™t really much to offer in the areaā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m a Whistler local and play 4-5 rounds a week at NN/Whistler GC combined. Whistler GC and NN both sit in the valley and their playability is determined by how windy it is up through the valley on a given day really. The winds really swirl at Whistler GC in particular and the huge trees on site can create little wind tunnels that can be tough to navigate at times.

NN is in great condition at the moment, even after all the rain up here. Itā€™s got some great par threes which play really tough from the tips, the 12th is about 215 with a 205 carry over water and 17 is similar with water all down the left but even longer at 225! Pretty daunting from the back but honestly not a slog from appropriate tees to player ability in my opinion. Iā€™ve only played Big Sky a couple times this year but itā€™s definitely the nicest of the bunch and in great condition. Only costs like $70ish all day Wednesdayā€™s with a BC ID too!

Welcome aboard! Thanks for the info and the tip on Big Sky and Wednesdays! Will defintely try to coordinate so as to play there on the Wednesday Iā€™m in town.

Gotta disagree. So much good golf in the Lower Mainland/Vancouver!

These are all great tracks in my opinion!

Northview (both courses)
Fraserview
UBC
Redwoods
Morgan Creek
Meadow Gardens

1 Like

Iā€™m a big fan of Northview - Ridge and Morgan Creek, but I think theyā€™re both overpriced. Northviewā€™s COVID policy of paying for a 4some regardless of how many you have is a cash grab. Over 5 hours to play Ridge this past Saturday too. Morgan is the best conditioned public course in the LM, I know theyā€™re pushing everyone get the player pass to reduce green fees, maybe Iā€™ll get it next year if I know Iā€™ll be spending enough time in town to make it work.

I think UBC is perfectly average, another place where rounds are dreadfully slow, and switching the 9ā€™s as theyā€™ve done bottlenecks the first 2 holes.

The 2 others I like that you didnā€™t mention - Kings Links & Point Roberts. Havenā€™t played KL yet this year (their website says public only on Thursdays for COVID reasons, not sure if thatā€™s still true but it was earlier this year) but itā€™s a nice change of pace from most other Vancouver courses. PR is a no-go this year but has a lot of great holes, glad that some deep-pocketed Chinese investors dumped some money into it and hopefully it stays alive considering how little revenue itā€™ll make in 2020.

1 Like

Definitely eager to get out to Morgan Creek

Do like all those (although havenā€™t played canal or MC). None are awesome deals though but youā€™re right there are some good options. I guess after being blown away by the island Iā€™m a bit grumpy!

I was at UBC from 2010 to 2016, and my main complaint was that golf was EXPENSIVE in YVR. Being a poor student at the time, I only played about 4 to 5 rounds a year.

I did quite enjoy Langara though, which I see has had no love on this thread so far. Yeah, its short. But, it has some of the most interesting greens of any golf course I have played. The highlights were the massive three tiered 4th green and the Biarritz style green on the 18th.

Ya - thatā€™s maybe a better way of putting my perception of YVR golf. Thereā€™s no courses where youā€™re like I canā€™t believe I just played that for $40!!

Iā€™m going to be in vancouver and idle, looking to golf monday aug 10. Still poking some friends about a round but theyā€™re saying dull work stuff so far. Will be in north van, but with wheels, able to wander for a good round somewhere if thereā€™s interest.

Been playing a steady diet of Redwoods and Morgan Creek this year. Love both of them, although pace at Redwoods is always slow.

Did a Whistler trip in June and played all 5 courses incl Squamish and Big Sky. Fairmont Chateau is such an awesome course, once the first 4 holes are done punching you in the mouth.

Was up in Vernon last weekend before the smoke rolled in and played The Rise, Shuswap National, and Predator. What a freaking amazing area for golf that is.

6 Likes

You play both Predator courses?

No, just the Predator on this visit. Couldnā€™t get a tee time on the other one.

Hey, new user mostly playing in Metro-Vancouver area, but sidelined with some back issues for the next 6-8 weeks. Though not sure why thatā€™s pertinentā€¦ Sharing is caring I guess.

I just caught the news about the refuge moving to a nest only annual subscription. I just wanted to see how many of you guys would be involved, or who might be moving away from the boards.

This seems to be a great resource for meeting up with some other golf-centric people, and that could be really fun. (Pretty sure thatā€™s just a lazy re-wording the mission statement) But if most of the guys/ girls involved in this BC roll call/ Vancouver area arenā€™t going to be involved going forward, then I just cant see moving forward with the nest being a huge value. I mean, throwing some money to the NLU guys for the content might be a nice tip of the cap, and messing around on a message board is alright, but I think the real value is in meeting some of the people which would bring a way better vibe when posting on here.

tldr: Whoā€™s still gunna be here post Jan 1st, 2020?

1 Like

I will be! (Although I think itā€™s still unknown whatā€™s going to happen to the Roll Call posts re. going behind the paywallā€¦)

Iā€™m going to subscribe to the Nestā€¦if nothing else, I buy a fair amount through their Pro Shop and the annual gift should make up to close to what I will spend on it, and then keep my morning routine of hopping on the Refuge with a coffee.

1 Like

Good to know that a few folks are stickin around. And that morning routine seems like something worth testing out. :coffee:

I grew up in Richmond and in the junior program at Quilchena, donā€™t live there anymore, but when I go back, low key reasonably priced super fun golf is the links at Hampton Cove in Ladner.

It isnā€™t uncommon to see local starving golf pros out there on a weekday afternoon (aka the guys and gals I grew up with)