Roll Call: British Columbia

Keep us posted…the Mark’s will know better than me, but for the price, I like other Victoria golf options better than Bear.
If you want to hop up Island, let me know too.

1 Like

:rofl: I really thought you were just THE GUY, eh!

1 Like

This is pretty enticing for a quick hop to the island. Fast, plentiful, and cheap flights, a few rounds of golf. What’s not to like.

Any idea where the rounds might go down? I’ve never golfed around victoria to know what’s desireable.

The may dates could be fun too but flights to Nanaimo suck for me, but with parents there, and a once talked about round with @Gogolfing at Nanaimo gc, it’s another way.

2 Likes

The Victoria event will be at Cordova Bay. It’s a fun (almost seaside) parkland layout and always in great shape.

2 Likes

As a local, I’ll try my best to warn you away from Bear Mountain, but I understand it’s got the name recognition. It’s a Nicklaus experience: expensive, occasionally fun but more often just punching you in the dick.

I’d be happy to organize something at Cordova Bay. Highland Pacific, Olympic View and Cedar Hill are the other main public options. HP and OV are both a bit like Bear Mountain-lite, tight layouts with some elevation change. Cedar HIll is the local par-67 muni, a true Strapped option.

3 Likes

With the largest centerline tree possibly in the world…

4 Likes

Ledgeview’s 2nd hole? Might have a fight with you there.

1 Like

Sandpiper’s 14th might want a word

Maybe largest isn’t the right descriptor - maybe most heinously placed centerline tree…

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s a big leafy oak about 20 yards short of the green (Tree #1 below).

This is it on the left of this image, looking back from the green. Tree 3 from above is on the right. Going low really isn’t an option either.

1 Like

Can’t play it long either because there is a parking lot!!! Next time you islanders are there in spring… I want pictures to see how big it’s got since I played there 15 years ago…

1 Like

Wow nice, seems like if you do it right, it’s not even there though with the right club for the approach?

1 Like

The problem (at least for me) is the tee shot is uphill so I’m usually well back and coming in with a 5 or 6 iron. Maybe I should play it as a par-5 and lay up to a wedge distance.

Quick share for some help for @notjustinkaiser

1 Like

3 potential options:

Would love to know which area is best for a last minute quick stay. Thanks all!

No need to go over to Metrotown, that’s a second train. Airport is closer to Richmond and there’s a couple options accessible by train / surely a shuttle to / from.

My .02, if you’re potentially going to stay overnight and are looking to do anything else, then your downtown option is best.

@Sarah what would you say?

Sorry, to clarify, we’re driving from Seattle to meet up with a flight volunteer who is traveling with Ollie up from Mexico. So we’re good with personal transportation. My concerns are literally parking overnight. :slight_smile:

I think the downtown hotels are all underground secured parking. I’ve never had any issues and have stayed a bunch of places around there including the Hampton. It’s a pretty safe neighbourhood.

1 Like

Good read from a Torontonian in our neck of the woods:

4 Likes

Well it’s done, I’ve been creeping on BC trip ideas for an early season stab at some weekend golf and I’m headed to Kelowna April 28-30th. Nothing other than flights booked for the two of us coming from edmonton, hoping to play 4 rounds friday through sunday. Will be meeting an old buddy who’s driving up to meet us.

Looking at tower ranch, kelowna golf and country (if there’s a way in), okanagan golf club, and gallaghers. Probably looking to replay tower ranch for the saturday if we can arrange this. Just 3 of us, but if there are local refugees looking for some rounds, always happy to fill out the 4th spot.

2 Likes