Roll Call: British Columbia

You are in!
Welcome aboard. Thinking of doing something in Oct but haven’t decided yet. Looks like we’re getting close to having a semi regular group on the island which is great!

3 Likes

Just a bump for our Nanaimo August meetup next weekend. Still a couple of spots left if anyone interested in joining. Click here for sign up

Should be a lot of fun. Those coming from Lower Mainland only have to walk on @ Horseshoe bay as we have rides from ferry terminal to course setup in Nanaimo. Cost is $73.50 for golf and $20 for prizes and 50/50 supporting First Tee BC. Should be amazing day and looking forward to hanging with new people.

1 Like

Are there details we need to know other than just meet at Horseshoe Bay ferry to catch 10am?

1 Like

Email forthcoming :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Awesome! Considering until last week I thought we were going on Sunday, details are helpful!

Getting excited. Nanaimo Golf Club is perfect field trip location!

3 Likes

Ha! Glad you mentioned that because I had Sunday in my head too for some reason.

2 Likes

It was a bit beat up.
It was simultaneously baked out - AND mud ball city
It was super duper slow (5+ hours, only 17 holes were played).
16 seems too short
17 seems too long
There are stupid sparrows everywhere.

But.

I always have a good time and walk off happy at Carnoustie.

1 Like

Any advice BCers?

https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/joining-a-private-club-all-about-that-pace-no-treble/19643/4960?u=sarah

They really aren’t that private other than Cap, the issue is mostly that they are super busy nowadays and allowing way less guest play.

Easiest way to meet people who are members at those courses is to play in events like the Zone 4 Womens Am. Think you just have to be under an 18 handicap. It’s the best way to network into those clubs. Next easiest would be charity tournaments for a couple of them.

Are the 5 you are counting

• Cap
  • Shaughnessy
  • Point Grey
  • Marine Drive
  • Seymour
1 Like

I had counted

• Cap
  • Shaughnessy
  • Point Grey
  • Marine Drive
  • Vancouver Golf Club (which I know is in the burbs!)

But will add Seymour since I forgot it! Cap and Shaughnessy are the big two for me

Vancouver Golf Club Is further out there than the Richmond courses and other than it being old is pretty meh. It’s definitely on the same level as the other private courses in the suburbs (Beach Grove, Richmond GC, Quilchena) and Seymour is better post reno.

Cap is definitely the top as a must play and Shaughnessy is cool because of the tour event and it’s about to be demolished but Point Grey and Marine are awesome. If I could choose anywhere to be a member in Vancouver it’s Marine Drive. Supposed to play Point Grey in a few weeks for the first time since the Riley Johns renovation so we will see if it competes with Marine Drive now.

Also you can try calling the courses and telling them you’d like to schedule a visit. Sometimes they’ll let you play a round

1 Like

Here are some helpful tips:

1. Make friends who are members or know members. Drop hints or ask (I am of the shoot your shot kind of person to a certain extent)
  2. Stanley Thompson society members used to get a once per year pass for Capilano in the lower seasons (don’t know how COVID changed that)
  3. See if there are local qualifiers for BC or Golf Canada tournaments (you will need a somewhat low handicap)
  4. Join some sort of golf club and then join Thousand Greens and request a game with someone - mostly men on this platform, that might be something for you to consider.
  5. Write a letter (or email) to the head pro and express your desire to experience a once in a lifetime opportunity. Mention something about being into golf architectural design. YMMV, this used to have a lot of success but probably a lot less so now with the COVID spike in golf popularity
  6. Try what Henny said - email and ask for a visit as if you want to join. Pretend like you are super interested and see about playing before you move forward. A lot of waitlists out there these days so it might be tough.

Good luck! Capilano will be right at the top of my list of courses in Canada to play after my next trip. I have heard such good things about it. Hopefully you can play it someday.

1 Like

Our young hitter Daniel Goodwin works the pro shop at Seymour. Definitely working on a Mayhem outing there next year.

2 Likes

Putting good vibes into the universe is the best starting point

3 Likes

Seymour used to/has public days? On mondays. Not sure if that went away but that one should be as easy as booking a time. Unless you don’t want to play with the peons there and want the rest of the week as an option.

A good friend is a member at cap. I will do whatever it takes to abuse that relationship for rounds there. I’ve not made it yet myself but next time I chat with him I can ask about the process.

3 Likes

With the CP Canadian Women’s Open coming to Vancouver in 2023, I say we put it out in the Universe that given @Randy 's support of the LPGA, that he and at least one other of the NLU crew should make their way to BC, check out the tournament, and we can plan to get them out on the golf course. I guarantee BC will show them a good time. Truly, he can’t really hate Canadians as alluded to in several Pods.

4 Likes

We’ll have 6 Michelin star restaurants! (@Tron )

3 Likes

8 Michelin star restaurants! Lots of good spots for the next BC meet-up! (First BC Meet up?)

1 Like

@Tron…this and a National Open? Get it on the calendar…and @Randy Shaughnessy Golf Course all about shrinking the game…how can you pass it up?

1 Like

Listening to the October '22 Nest Pod this morning. Congrats to @TBagg and @dirtyniblick for being named the September Co-MVP’s.
Great job repping Mayhem!

4 Likes