Roll Call: British Columbia

Sounds great, please do add me when you have a moment!

1 Like

Hey @CaptainCanada i’m out in South surrey and just let my Players club at Morgan end but happy to meet up.

I’m heading to kelowna at the end of april 28-30th, playing black mountain, tower ranch, then gallaghers fri to sun. We’re out as a threesome for the 5 planned rounds. Very excited, if you’re around and looking to play shoot me a message, I’d imagine you can jump into those single spots fairly easily.

Sounds like a great trip especially since you’re playing my home course 3 times! haha. I might be there around then and would love to join. I’ve put a reminder in my calendar. Thanks for the invite!

For sure, always happy to play with internet rando golf sickos. 100% of the time it’s worked out with refuge folk. Local knowledge would be fun for sunday gallaghers. Hoping to finish the weekend with some fun skins action on the short course, after playing the big fella in the morning.

1 Like

The FcF would love to have y’all come down to Detroit for some golf in May!

1 Like

Hey everyone, dates are set for the inaugural Island Mayhem Tour. We will be hosting 3 events in April, May and June. Looking for some Island Mayhem members, but those from the Mainland are welcome to join too. Here are the important details:

Round 1 – Bear Mountain, Valley Course – Saturday, April 29 @ 1pm - $120 (includes cart, range) – payment deadline April 14
Round 2 – Duncan Meadows – Saturday, May 27 @ 1pm- $85 – payment deadline May 12
Round 3 – Nanaimo Golf Club – Sunday, June 25 @ 2pm - $85 – payment deadline Jun 10

Use this link for sign up: Island Mayhem Confirmation & Booking - Google Sheets

@MarkInVictoria will be collecting payment.

Each round will be played using the Stableford Quota system to determine final rankings of the event. Stableford Quota uses your handicap to set your “quota” or score that you need to achieve. Each player starts ‘in the hole’ by 36 minus their handicap. For example, a golfer with a 10 handicap has a quota of 26 (36 – 10). Each player gains stableford points as they play the round: Bogey = 1 Point; Par = 2; Birdie = 4; Eagle = 8; Albatross = 16. Double bogey or worse = 0. Essentially, at the end of the round, the player’s score will be their stableford score minus their quota.
Island Mayhem Standing Points will be given to players, based on how they ranked at each event. First place will receive 20 Points; 2nd = 12 pts; 3rd = 7.5; 4th = 5.5; 5th = 4.5; 6th = 4; 7th/8th = 3.5; 9th/10th/11th = 3; 12th/13th/14th = 2.5; 15th or lower = 2 points. Players who do not compete receive 0 points at that event.
The tour champion will be the golfer who has the most points at the end of all three rounds. The top No Laying Up “NEST” member finisher in the Island Mayhem Series will earn a MAYHEM REGIONAL REP spot in our Regional Championship vs PNW Crew & NorCal.
Looking forward to teeing it up on The Island.

2 Likes

Payments have started to come in (thanks @MoneyBagg and @DPMcG). Note, for Bear Mountain, we have five tee times booked. A little over two weeks to book your spot in the inaugural Island Mayhem event.

2 Likes

Major Mayhem @ Mayfair - is now open for registration.

Here is the link to the sign up page.

Mayhem GC is proud to host “Major Mayhem at Mayfair” on June 3rd at Mayfair Lakes Golf & Country club in Richmond, B.C., Canada.

This event is our Roost Club Championship & Flagship tournament for 2023.

This year we have been given the ability to award an NIT qualification to the overall winner.

Plan to arrive early for games & prizes and plan to stay late for awards and dinner.

There is a lot to be played for and as always everyone has a great time!!

Date: Saturday June 3rd (First Tee time at 12pm)

Registration Opens: April 1st, 2023

Max players: 40 (registration closes May 12th)

Cost: $155 CAD

• includes: green fee, warm-up bucket, $10 50/50 ticket, Tee gifts

Scoring Format: Quota

Prizes & Qualifiers:

• 1st place overall - earns NIT (Nest invitational tournament) qualification

• 1st place Mayhem GC / Nest member - earns Mayhem GC regional team spot

• other prizes and competitions will also be handed out

• 50/50 draw & birdie competition (proceeds to“First Tee - British Columbia”)

3 Likes

Should add we will have a Refuge celebrity & “friend of the pod” appearance by @Sarah

1 Like

Hello friends - non-golf related, but next week is spring break for the kids so we’re going to spend the week checking out Vancouver Island. We’ll be staying in Victoria for the week but we’re open to day trips and things of that nature so I’m wondering if anyone’s got any recommendations for must see places. We’re open to suggestions for any restaurants (not fancy since we’re with the kids) and places to grab a cold beer too.

We plan on Butchart Gardens for sure but we’re otherwise flexible. The kids are almost 3 and 6 and love the outdoors so hikes for us are more like strolls at their age and stamina.

I don’t have kids so I may not have the best recommendations, but off the top of my head:

Things to do:

Beacon Hill Children’s Farm: good for kids and cheap. Beacon Hill Park in general has a playground and good views of the water/Olympic Mountains.

Malahat Skywalk: It’ new and I haven’t been, but would probably be good on a clear day.

Day trip up to Port Renfrew, go out through Sooke, stop at some of the beaches. Lunch at the Renfrew Pub.

Take a ride in a Victoria Harbour Ferry. Take a round trip from downtown to Fisherman’s Wharf and back.

Go up to Sidney and stop in at the Shaw Centre for the Salish Sea or the BC Aviation Museum. Could stop in at Sea Cider for lunch or to pick up some local cider.

Eat and Drink:

Lunch at Red Fish Blue Fish. Fresh seafood served out of repurposed shipping containers on the harbour in Victoria. Unlicensed and seating is all outdoors on stools or nearby picnic tables so do this on a nice day. Can be lined up if you go at noon on a sunny day when cruise ships are in.

Beer and eats at the Drake Eatery. Excellent selection of craft beers and good snacking foods. No TVs and service is British pub style (you go to the bar to order).

Neapolitan-style pizza at Pizzeria Prima Strada. The Cook Street location is close to Beacon Hill Park.

Feel free to send me a note if you have any specific questions. One thing I will say is that sometimes BC’s liquor licensing can be a little odd and every once in awhile you’ll find out a perfectly normal place doesn’t allow minors. I think everywhere I’ve mentioned does (not sure about Sea Cider) but if you’re in doubt, best to call ahead and check.

3 Likes

This is perfect, thank you! Liquor laws are strange all around but I get it. Children can be menaces. I love a good aquarium, possibly more than the kids, so the Shaw Centre is an instant add to the list.

1 Like

I strongly suggest: the Bard and Banker for the live music and drinks.

2 Likes

Hey guis, I was in Vancouver this week for work and got a couple rounds in your fair city. I played Stanley Park PnP and Kings Links and it was a very enjoyable experience. Got paired up with a couple guys who are members at Beach Grove in Tsawwassen and after 18 holes ended up doing dinner with them. Unreal hospitality.

7 Likes

Floyd’s Diner is a must hit for brunch. If you order the Mahoney they’ll let you flip a coin for free breakfast.

3 Likes

I second this as a great place to go. My kids also liked this place.

Also I suggest you flip the coin

We’ve returned from Victoria and just wanted to pop in and thank everyone for the suggestions, many of which were acted upon! Couldn’t have had better weather last week either. What a special city Victoria is.

Lunch at Red Fish Blue Fish was amazing. We’re used to good seafood living in the Seattle area, but wow, just so good. Beacon Hill Park was beautiful and the children’s farm was great. We ended up going back to the park two other times to picnic and let the kids run around. Pizzeria Prima Strada was excellent and just what we needed on our last day in town. Didn’t have time for Port Renfrew but did manage to hit the Shaw Centre for the Salish Sea in Sidney and also the Royal BC Museum in Victoria (I’m a sucker for natural history exhibits).

We’re excited to make this a regular trip for the family. Hope to add some golf to the agenda next time.

Edit - can’t believe I forgot Floyd’s Diner! A highlight for sure!

4 Likes

Did you order The Mahoney?

1 Like

I did not! I did not have the requisite appetite for the Mahoney. Ended up being a bit of a last minute stop because the kids were hangry and we were between meals. Next time, I will plan a bit more carefully.

1 Like