Roll Call: Bloomington/Normal

@IlliniGolferHack @tchap80 @TopFrolf

STONE CREEK LIVES!!!

4 Likes

That’s spectacular! Man the Atkins Family has done a ton for UI Athletics. Can’t wait to check out Atkins Golf Club!!

1 Like

Great to see this get finalized. I am interested to see what they do to the course this year, if they are just improving the practice facilities, adding a couple new tees, or what. The course looks to be in great shape having driven by it a few times, but I couldn’t see any construction from off of Windsor. I’ll have to take a closer look.

2 Likes

Really good news. That is quite the donation. Especially when you throw in 70 acres of undeveloped land and other income they could generate.

Champaign would’ve been down to just the Orange and Blue course as public options. I felt spoiled here in Bloomington with 5 public courses

Edit: I forgot The Links and Legends courses. I regret the error.

3 Likes

You can’t forget Hazy Hills!! And a few more scrappy ones if you’re willing to go about 20 min outside of town.

Fun fact - at one point in the early 90’s, B-N promoted itself as having the “most golf courses per capita in the US”.

Hey guys, meeting a buddy in Bloomington on Friday afternoon to drop some stuff off and have some time to play in the morning before heading over to his place. Any suggestions on where to play?

Weibring, The Den at Fox Creek, and Prairie Vista are all solid tracks in BloNo. Ironwood is also decent but not very walkable (LONG walks between holes).

Weibring and Den at Fox Creek are my favorite in Bloomington. Side note: I played Metamora Fields a few weeks ago and that course is awesome.

1 Like

Thanks guys, think I’ll do Weibring. Appreciate it!

2 Likes

Played Weibring last week and it’s in fantastic shape. If you book a day or two in advance you shouldn’t have a problem getting on. Enjoy!

More good news on Atkins Golf Club, formerly Stone Creek: https://fightingillini.com/news/2020/9/17/general-illinois-athletics-donor-pledges-5-million-for-atkins-golf-renovation.aspx

2 Likes

To the Peoria folk on here, what is my best option for a budget-friendly membership next summer?

I know I’ve seen something on the Park District website about having a membership to all 3 courses, but couldn’t see a price. I’ve played Madison and the front 9 at Newman, and I could see Newman being somewhere enjoyable to play often, but have heard mostly bad reviews of Kellogg, so not sure how worth it that would be.

I saw on the Quail Meadow website that a 7-day pass was $595 this year, which sounds very reasonable, but I haven’t played there and I’m not sure how nice it is.

The PPD is over priced and crowded IMO. Quail is pretty reasonable but it depends on where you live really. If you like to walk they have a “players card” that you can buy for like $150 and you just pay $5 every time you show up to play. Quail is also doing a black friday sale on passes I think. The Pekin Park District usually has a membership that is semi-reasonable as well.

Hey Everyone! I am trying to organize a refuge meetup in Attica Indiana. I am looking at Saturdays in Mid June. It is a bit of a drive from Bloomington (2 hours). Is anyone is in Champaign it is about an hour and a half. Playing a great course called Harrison Hills. would be about $70 for golf, food and a donation. Please feel free to vote even if it is a no! Much appreciated everyone.

Mid June Event Attica IN
  • Yes
  • No
  • Maybe

0 voters

2 Likes

I’m in Champaign and I’ve got a (partial) membership there. It’s a great course, especially the back nine. Last year they got new owners who have put some money into both the course and clubhouse.

1 Like

I’m also a member. It is a treat to play there! Fun course with great risk reward holes The new owners also brought in a great BBQ place and brewery.

Awesome! I don’t really know the members much since it’s an hour from me. I probably made it out there 8-10 times last year. We should play there sometime in the spring too.

1 Like

I know a good handful of them! I played in the club championship this year and got to meet a few more as well. Very down to play in the spring!

Too late to vote in the poll, but I’d definitely be interested! I think my dad got their 3 year membership special last winter and has only been a few times, but he’s enjoyed it every time he’s been.

1 Like

I created the event and have a date. Thinking of also seeing if people want to hang around and play the Purdue courses on Sunday!

3 Likes