Roll Call: Bloomington/Normal

Man its hard to catch up with stuff on here after a couple of weeks off.

Sold Out! You weren’t kidding. Congrats. Wish I could’ve signed up for this and Detroit @tchap80 but I’m currently on injured reserve. I’ll check the schedule and see if we can make it to the silent auction.

1 Like

Oh no - injured reserve @Janders34?!? Hope you recover quickly.

As far as the golf outing goes - we are sold out, but let me know if you want me to put you on the waitlist. The (very minor) downside of selling out so early is that we do often have a few people drop right before the event.

Heard it confirmed from a few reliable sources.

Atkins did donate Stone to U of I effective April 1st.

They will do a substantial renovation to Stone in 2020 to make it super championship quality. Re-opening in 2021.

3 Likes

That’s awesome news, thanks for sharing. Would love to see them make it into a course where they could actually host high-end collegiate tournaments!

1 Like

Sharing this here as well - @phegs32 has a plan to help Peoria win the Strapped charity contest:

2 Likes

Yep. That is the goal. The U of I golf team hasn’t really hosted a match there in years and would plan to once it re-opens.

For now they are still mowing it and its in pretty good shape.

1 Like

Love it. I actually thought Blono would’ve been a decent strapped location before all this, but i will go all in for Peoria. That first episode of SoCal views would be tough to follow.

2 Likes

:eyes:

2 Likes

Golf in Illinois will be reopened May 1st! With some safety rules to be announced

3 Likes

I played at Harrison Hills GC in Attica, IN yesterday and just wanted to say you guys should check it out if you haven’t. It’s 1 hour east of Chambana, so a bit of a trek for those in BloNo or Peoria, but it’s an interesting course. It has 8 of its original 9 holes designed by Langford & Moreau, with 10 more holes added in the 90s. The Fried Egg and Golf Atlas have written about it. The conditioning is average for a public course, but it has some incredibly dramatic bunkering and mounding, especially on the back nine. For me it was a nice change from the flat farmlands of Champaign.

2 Likes

Good to know - thanks for sharing!

What’s going on all? Just joined the refuge recently and saw this.

I’m in Danville atm but looking to move to Peoria soon and went to ISU so know most of this area even though I’m new’ish to playing and haven’t played most of the courses.

Adding on to Harrison Hills, they were doing a $300 3-year membership last Christmas and man I wish I had joined. It would’ve been like a 45 minute drive from Danville but for that price, I’m really not sure why I didn’t.

Regardless, definitely down to play in some sort of meet-up/outings in this area!

3 Likes

Welcome!

I played the UofI Orange course last week and the rough was like US Open length with the all the rain we’ve been getting and maybe because of maintenance restrictions. It was around 4-5" long in most parts, and thick. I’m also down for a meet-up somewhere. It’d be nice if we could play in foursomes for that.

2 Likes

Man I haven’t got out since @TopFrolf and I played in Champaign before all this Corona happened. Let’s get a tee time soon!

1 Like

I played Weibring with my Dad the other day (would’ve been our annual golf outing fundraiser, so we figured at least the two of us could play). Course was a little wet but otherwise in good shape. Though #5 played a little differently:

If you don’t know the course, it’s a downhill-uphill par 4 with no water. The hill seems more severe in person than in the pic. But Friday made me think - they often have drainage issues running through the fairway anyway. I wonder if they’d be better off to put in a small drainage creek or something that cuts through the fairway. It’d add a little strategy in that you’d have to bomb it pretty well to clear it on the fly or risk running into it. Otherwise you could just tee off with a mid-iron and still have about 175ish into the green (what I did on Fri). Doubt they do anything big - just made me think.

Oh and I basically hit for the cycle in my round. Shot a 92 including a birdie, several pars, and even an 8 and 10! :grimacing: So I got that going for me…

2 Likes

The Governor just announced relaxed restrictions on golf during phase 3 of the state’s reopening plan, which we should move into on May 29th. Foursomes will be allowed, carts with a single rider or two riders from the same household, practice facilities with some restrictions, and 10 min tee time intervals. I’m looking forward to being able to get out to the range and to have more tee times available.

1 Like

Have the other courses in the area been enforcing the “physical disability needed for cart” rule?

The whole original landing zone is under 10 inches of water by the looks of it. Played Highland yesterday and there were patches of fairway they couldn’t mow because it was too wet. This was hole 6. Additional hazard.

2 Likes

Ranges being closed never really made since to me. Already had built in social distancing. I was talking to someone in California today and their ranges were open but they still don’t have pins in the greens. That would be wild not knowing where the cup was.

To all the Peoria folk, I’m making the move from Danville to Peoria in the next 4-6 weeks. Will definitely be looking for course recommendations (strapped budget mostly), or anybody who wants to play some rounds!