Roll Call: Austin/San Antonio

I got a 6:50am tee time tomorrow morning at Lions, 2 spots open. Trying to get in a round before the leaders too far off tomorrow. Text me if you’re interested 415.300.6719

Hey guis,
Native texan that first saw Austin in the very late 70s. Dipped in and out for spells since then, even living there in the mid 90s as a working musician. Haven’t been there for maybe 20 years or so, at least not for as long as my upcoming visit will see me.

Kinda breezed thru the thread and loved catching up on the food recs, but I’ve never played golf there in town as I’ve only gotten ‘serious’ about the game in the last 5+ years.

I’m coming third week of October and fully intend on hitting Lions as soon as wheels are down at Bergstrom. Have to do it I feel, as it’s the Mecca of sorts for ATX public golf. Will likely have the following day to play once MAYBE twice, and looking for recos on partners and places to play some G.

Doing Butler on day 3 with a lady friend as a shit and giggle but day two is open. This is mid-week, a Tuesday arrival and Lions, Butler with the gal maybe Friday. Work all day Thursday so Wednesday potentially ALL DAY I’ll be free.

Love to hear yer thoughts. Thanks in advance.

3 Likes

If you want to stick to the muni vibe, Mo Willy. My favorite muni in town.

Care to join on day two?

What dates?

the big free day is Wednesday October 19th.

I think I can do that. My member guest starts that friday so practice round probably thursday. Should be able to pull off mo willy on the 19th.

2 Likes

Hello Texas guis, will be in Austin for a few days, may have time to get a round in. Outside of Austin Golf Club which seems impossible to get on, any other course recommendations? Feel free to hit the dm if you don’t want to clog up your thread here.

Thanks!

@scagnetti apologies for not offering this earlier, but happy to host both you and @Hitchings21 at Great Hills CC. October 19th for scatnetti, and when will you be here Hitchings?

3 Likes

Appreciate the offer! I have a very tight window, would need to be mid/late afternoon on sept 7. If it doesn’t work with your schedule no worries, really appreciate the offer….and any recommendations on public courses in the area

It works for my schedule. Cant make tee time until 9/4, but wednesday afternoon shouldn’t be a problem. What is your ideal time? Also, if you would rather play somewhere else, I won’t be offended at all, but happy to have you.

3 Likes

I won’t speak for @Hitchings21 but Im gonna be encamped out south, so the trip tp Great Hills might be a bit much for me, even if I could get on ACC, i’d think twice because i wanna try and get two rounds in at two different places…

In every case, i really do appreciate the offer! looking forward to Muny on the 18th, and Mo WIlly and maybe Riverside on the 19th…

1 Like

I’ve got a house near campus with a group (traveling tailgate club) starting Thursday night but Wednesday I can stay anywhere, looks like there is a hyatt pretty close to Great Hills so if it works out I’ll probably stay there. As far as time, think I land around 1:30 so maybe 3:30? Play it by ear I guess, travel plans could also change so having to wait until 9/4 is no issue.

Kizer will be back open but then, swap that in for Riverside. all new green complexes were put in this summer

If it is that late in the day, no need for a tee time. I live 10 minutes from the course, so I can just meet you out there depending on the flight. 3:30 should be fine, I just find ABIA has some of the slowest baggage around.

1 Like

Sounds good, i’ll connect with you later this week or early next to confirm. thanks for hosting!

I have two spots open at Great Hills tomorrow at 9:36 if anyone is interested. Playing with refugee @rmaas91

1 Like

Hey all, looking at planning a 3-4 night/4(maybe 5?) round trip to Austin for my dad and 2 brothers for my dads 60th in February-early March. This will be our first golf trip as a group of 4 since my baby brother just picked up the game right before COVID and got bit by the bug hard. This is the first time that we have all had jobs that allow us to do something like this. I skimmed the thread for course recs and have a pretty good grasp on what I am leaning towards. I live a most definitely #strapped lifestyle while my one brother is a bit C Suite and the other in between. Do rates jump a ton in Feb-March? Most courses have current rates up now but don’t have any future season pricing so kinda difficult to future plan on a budget. From what I am gathering here is my preliminary course itinerary:
Kissing Tree seems to be a pretty unanimous rec
Star Ranch
Kizer/Clay(scratch that muni/strapped itch)
Grey Rock/Avery Ranch/Shadowglen

Thoughts? Anything in that strapped price range that I should throw on the list for consideration? Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Take shadowglen off your list. It’s a dumpster fire of a place.

Add Forest Creek and Tera Vista to the list - both up in Round Rock so a bit of a drive, but good value. i don’t love Avery Ranch, but it’s in the same family as the two I mentioned.

If you’re already ok driving as far as KT, I’d actually have Plum Creek on the list, and at the top of the list.

1 Like

Still on for Wednesday?