Roll Call: Atlanta - TPC Sign Up Link in Discord Announcements Channel

Uh-oh!

1 Like

I have been dreaming about owning Browns Mill since I started playing it a couple years ago. Take it off the cities hands.

4 Likes

Nothing would make me happier to buy Heritage and gut that place to shreds. Think it’s probably shitty land for golf so I’m not sure how much better we could make it.

2 Likes

I love Browns Mill but it struggles with rain. Tup Holmes could be very cool with some TLC.

From a cost perspective, John A. White or College Park (9-holers) would be interesting to get the bulldozers working.

Heritage may always suck.

1 Like

I agree. What they’re doing on a micro sense doesn’t bother me. What irks me is a lack of cohesive, macro vision for their social. They have no personality/ethos that they’re trying to drive. It’s just “Picture of Sunrise!”, “Matt Ginella played here!” “Our Super has a dog!”

1 Like

I would love to buy Browns Mill. Minus the issues with rain, it’s already got a good layout. Leveling the tee boxes and adding some undulation to the greens would go a long way there.

1 Like

it feels like if golf now wrote a business model for “woke” golf… and yes they would use air quotes in all meetings

1 Like

You are not wrong. You think it just changes hands between two interns and two management types that don’t really understand? Or do you think they just have no idea wtf to do.

Let’s buy John A. White and turn it into something that could be incredible.

Last time I played there it was awful.

Like BJ, it has a grass range for opportunity for more money. Could also shut the range down for a short course around the targets.

1 Like

I mean realistically, what would it cost to buy one of these cheap / semi-run down courses? I haven’t played Tup Holmes in like 4 years but it was a shit show when I was there. I feel like it would require a lot of maintenance to get it to decent playing shape. Browns Mill on the other hand only needs a little TLC to see big improvement. I can’t imagine the land in either of these areas is overly expensive. Though I’m sure there’s a lot of other factors I’m not seeing.

I love golf, but would not like the prospect of owning one for profit.

2 Likes

They’re operated by this broader management company. They marketing manager is young-ish. Not sure if it’s centrally operated or she just manages people who do it on a course level. Something that is not emphasized + I think its solely managed so there is genuinely a lack of diversity in thought going into it. Need a team to make social work well to me.

1 Like

god no. I would love to own to foster a environment where people could share a passion for the game

2 Likes

Fair point. I would love to do the right thing with no expectation of profit, but if it’s good (and built scrappy) it can make money like Winter Park 9.

I asked where there other local spots are. Cobblestone, Legacy, Fox Creek, Smoke Rise and the Georgia Club

Will one of you please become a billionaire and give us our own Ohoopee.

3 Likes

We need to buy a rundown course in the Georgia sandbelt and redo it, but that does not scratch the itch for something good around town.

1 Like

Realistically do think someone could buy and renovate a College Park 9 or John A white for a Million dollars? 2 Million? 5 million? 10?

You could always go ask Mike Young at the Fields to do the redesign.

1 Like

Renovation probably ~1M, but real estate in Atlanta would be the realistic problem to acquire the property.

You would need something like the DC RFP where people would bid to run the place and take the risk of making it attractive to operate because that is a lot to ask for a city to make the course good.

1 Like