Roll Call: Atlanta - TPC Sign Up Link in Discord Announcements Channel

I had actually been a “member” there back in mid 2000’s as a 12-14 year old, before the redesign.

It was always a neat place. Wondering how the men’s group is really and hoping there’s a younger crowd than what was there before.

1 Like

Just joined Pinetree this year b/c I wanted to play a lot of golf this summer. It works well for me since my office is up in Kennesaw actually. I’ve enjoyed it a lot so far. This is the first time I’ve been a member at any kind of a private club in my life but it’s been really good. It’s fairly close to full in terms of the membership right now, but if you’re on the younger side particularly it’s an outstanding value. Pace of play whenever I go is 4 hrs max and usually more like 3:40.

I’m a fan of the course and have been thoroughly spoiled by how nice the greens are. I took a couple little trips to Sweetens and Hilton Head this year and I didn’t play a course that had nicer conditioned greens than Pinetree (including Harbour Town).

The course stretches back to 7k if you want, but it’s a great test even at 6500 or so which is where I usually play it. The variety of short, medium, long holes is very nice IMO. I’m not a huge fan of a couple holes: 9 the par 5 is always a little awkward to me and 11 I think would be maddening for someone that doesn’t hit it a long ways (270+ off the tee). But the stretch from 12-16 is really nice on the back.

I joined for the golf specifically. I think it’s a nice test of golf that keeps you interested and there are definitely a lot of active members. There is a pool which looks nice but I haven’t taken advantage of it due to my COVID concerns. Aside from that, the facilities are fine. The golf is kept really nice though, and that’s what I cared about.

It feels like there’s a good number of young members but I haven’t ended up playing with a ton of them mostly b/c my membership doesn’t let me play before 1PM on the weekends right now (in my mid 20s). The people are great too. Generally very friendly from my experience. Thursday scrambles are a lot of fun and from what I hear the bigger events (member-member, member-guest, etc) are well done and a lot of fun too.

4 Likes

Hi all, new to the Refuge. I’ve been looking at joining Rivermont, but just noticed on their website that they “closed” the 21-26 category. Does anyone know if that’s happened before/if that’s permanent, or is it more like even the wait list has gotten too long?

1 Like

Welcome @theFazz! There’s a few rivermont members in here who might be able to answer that.

Alert! Sungjae Im is setting down roots in ATL. Where do we think he will establish himself for a comfy home game?

5 Likes

Sugarloaf and AAC open as betting favorites.

1 Like

Sugarloaf confirmed

2 Likes

My mother texted me regarding Sungjae’s move - “he must really like chicken wings and rap music.” I think she captured the city, as well as my idealistic view of what Sungjae does in his spare time.

3 Likes

I am real close to leaning in to a Pinetree membership. The value at the young professional level seems to be really good. I had been a ‘member’ as a teenager after being annexed from Canterbury Golf Club when it closed. Enjoyed it back then but it was a hair stuffy.

Do you find that there is a younger walking crowd out there at all?

I think it’s kinda mixed. There’s definitely a good number of folks that walk the course regularly. Some middle aged guys with their fancy powered push carts that just run in front of them. To be honest I don’t really feel like I’ve broken into the “younger circles” if there are any, perhaps due to being new and due to the inability to play before 1PM on the weekends. People I’ve played with have mentioned a couple of younger groups that I could potentially play with, but I haven’t gotten into a regular game or anything. I’ve met a handful of younger guys that tend to ride in the afternoons too. It’s kinda mixed. I’m in a groupme with a bunch of guys that sometimes play 9 after work when light’s available and on the weekends. Those guys mostly walk 9 as far as I know, and I’ll tend to do that after work if I can get out for it. There’s also the middle aged and retirement crowds of course, and those guys will tend to ride usually.

1 Like

Gotcha. That after work 9 group is kind of what I’m looking for. I’ve been in some younger circles that tend to take themselves to seriously and throw out money that’s too big for their games. Really just want a refuge style group.

Hey man, just saw this. I’m up at BridgeMill. I have a daughter at Woodstock HS. I haven’t played Pinetree but if you want an old-school club, I’ve heard they are the best around. I know people who left BridgeMill & joined Pinetree.

It’s called Fore Pass. 30$ a month for discounted tee-times at all the city courses.

Bumping this. We’ve got 58! Signed up and only 18 are local. If you’re new here or just been lurking in the shadows. Come on out and join us.

Mistletoe Masters - Sat. Dec. 12. @ City Club (Merch info and sign up post 291!)

2 Likes

Wolverine 08 here! Worked at Bridgemill throughout high school and definitely go up there to hit the practice facility. Pinetree’s practice facility is pretty sharp too.

1 Like

Looked at a golf course listing site and appears the Wolf creek is pending sale. I guy I played with at College Park golf course, fun little family vibe course btw, said that Vince Carter was a part of the buying group.

3 Likes

@gatorz7888 @mearley44 @RangerB

ITS HAPPENING

1 Like

Apparently they filed chapter 11?

2 Likes

Hopefully new owners will take it forward. I like the layout and enjoy playing but management is unpredictable. Last few times I’ve played it, during COVID, I’ve been allowed to walk, of course still charged with the cart fee but hey… I’ll take it to walk.

1 Like

Last time i ~attempted~ to play, I woke up at 545am to arrive for my tee time I was allowed to book and be greeted by a staff telling me the course was closed.

1 Like

The course is good, the staff is nice and hard working, they just need a leader that knows how to run a golf course.

1 Like